Audi Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Apologies for the late reply, I've been away with restricted access to external communications. Software version of the original and replacement part is 4L0 910 18 A.

I wasn't getting any fault codes for the J644 controller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apologies for the late reply, I've been away with restricted access to external communications. Software version of the original and replacement part is 4L0 910 18 A.

I wasn't getting any fault codes for the J644 controller.
Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same exact problem and haven't been able to find a fix for it

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After the Audi dealer/agent replaced 2 batteries, fuel filter housing, engine earth lead, intake manifolds, high pressure fuel pump and low pressure fuel pump the problem was still the same.

I then asked them to check the injectors, which I was assured had already been checked, only to be told they found 2 faulty injectors. These were replaced a couple of months ago and the car has been starting fine since then. Problem resolved, but it took Audi 2 years!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm still battling my similar problem as well, long crank but I've got the added twist of plumes of white smoke out of the tailpipe when it does start. The car's in the shop at the moment and I got a call from the mechanic today saying that they pulled out the injectors and bench-tested them and some had poor flow. They have all been ultrasonically cleaned and and now flow-tested as good.

I also have an oil leak in the Turbo which could be causing the smoke, but I'm picking up the car tonight and testing it out over the next few days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just as an update, I finally found a solution to my problem:
Details here and here.

TL;DR:
1) A faulty Air Suspension relay was staying energised even after the ignition systems shut down. This was causing nearly a 1A drain on the battery while the car should have been off.
2) An aging starter motor was cranking slowly and pulling more current than it should have, compounding the low battery problem and causing the long crank & starting issues.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts