Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I havn't done any modifying to my 2002 B6 A4 since I got the BT setup a while back and since I've decided to keep the car at least for another year, I think it's time. :)

I just spent a few hours reading through and really came away more confused than anything. :D

From what I've understood, any of the new steering wheels will work...A3, A4, A6, all are the same, correct?

The problem seems to be when it comes to the airbag and the single stage vs dual-stage. The simplest solution to that seems to be to just connect one of the connectors, but everything might not work properly.
One person on here mentioned that the previous model A3 used a single stage airbag, yet had the new style MFSW. Has anyone looked into this further?

I found a few pictures online showing a '03-'05 A3 airbag and a '05+ airbag. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but maybe some of you can see the difference...if there is any...

If that doesn't pan out, and the only option is the dual stage airbag...

What parts are needed for this whole process? Part numbers would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As far as I know ALL the new airbags are dual stage. You can tell by the two connectors on the back of the airbag (green and orange). I have a very early euro-market D3 round style airbag (made in late 2002) and it is also dual stage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, so I'll have to go for the dual airbag version.

Can someone help out with the parts (or part numbers). From what I remember reading, I need...

Steering wheel (from A3 or A4 for the tri-spoke version)
Airbag
Wiring harness (?)
SCSM or was it called an SCR (something to that effect) from a B7 A4 (?)

Is that about right? Anything else?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have done the new 3 spoke MFSW and if you dont want trouble i would forget this retro fit and do something else there is no proof that a dual stage will work on a single stage.
so think very carefully about the saftey issue let alone the cost before you enter into this one...

just want to help before you start unlike when i did mine :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got some parts in! I was able to find the steering wheel on eBay UK and won the auction at around $50 USD. The airbag came from Airbagsforsale.com, which were actually the ones who were holding the eBay auction as well, so it worked out pretty well. The total for the steering wheel, airbag, and shipping ran $649.00.

Now I just need to source a couple more parts and thing should come together.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just received my VAG-COM today and am wondering...how can I go about checking the part number of the S/C Ring without taking off the steering wheel?

I've already found the control module to be part number 8E0 953 549 L

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
HX_Guy said:
I just received my VAG-COM today and am wondering...how can I go about checking the part number of the S/C Ring without taking off the steering wheel?

I've already found the control module to be part number 8E0 953 549 L
There's no way of checking the part number of the s/c ring with VAG-COM, only the "mark 1 eyeball" method works!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed?!

Well...not quite...

Ran into a couple of issues, the first being that my T8 screwdriver is not long enough to take apart the steering column covers, so I can't take out any of the parts, and the other...much bigger problem...

No big surprise I guess, but of course the B7 airbag harness plug will first of all not fit into the B6 plug socket, and second of all...there is only one row of pins. Now I have to sourse the parts to finish this up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The auto parts store I went to only had the T8 bit that attached to an adapter, which is way to thick to fit. I think my best bet is Sears, which I'll try today.

·
Registered
108 Posts
HX_Guy,

Great Topic! The retrofit of an B7 MFSW will be one of my next mod's too. Now, I'm just trying to got a B7 MFSW in eBay for a good price.
Good luck to finished the mod... don't forget to put news about it!

About the dual stage vs Single stage airbag... anyone can say that a dual stage airbag will work on a B6?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
migsan said:
About the dual stage vs Single stage airbag... anyone can say that a dual stage airbag will work on a B6?
This is a HOT topic ...

Some have installed a B7 dual stage airbag in a B6 by wiring both igniters in paralle and for a few months it hasn't thrown any fault codes ....until the weather turned colder when fault codes were thrown (resistance too low). This implies that the resistance of 2 igniters is marginal as far as a single stage airbag module is concerned.

As to whether a dual stage airbag actually WORKS ... fortunately nobody has crashed their car yet,so we don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts