Sirius for Symphony II/Concert II:
Part No. 8E0 057 593
XM for Symphony II/Concert II:
Part No. 8E0 057 593A
Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system:
Part No. 8E0 057 593D
XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system:
Part No. 8E0 057 593E

Since audio is possible with the US unit and the older sat receivers, I would guess that the CAN commands have changed to allow more devices (e.g. the TPMS) on the bus.

So, for the US unit ("E" and "R" units), installing the "D" or "E" sat receiver should enable sat radio (maybe you can sell your sat enabled radio together with the receiver :wink: to get funding for the RNS-E upgrade).

The EU unit ("C" and "P" units) does not even see the sat receiver and has no option to select either XM or Sirius. So if you want to use sat radio, don't choose the EU unit.

From the 2005 Accessories catalogue:
[siteimg:b9c1703dd6]96[/siteimg:b9c1703dd6]

EDIT: Loading the US software on a Euro RNS-E will allow the use of a second generation SAT receiver even with a Euro RNS-E. See quick links for details about how to load the US software on a Euro RNS-E.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Thanks for info ;) I will try to locate new XM receiver

I think you can always connect 3rd party XM receiver to EU unit via Audi Blitz adapter. This should work same way as external CDC. ;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I spoke with Audi part dept. and yes, there are 2 separate SAT receivers.
I bought one XM for RNS-E and should receive it Thursday.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You bet... I bought XM unit for RNS-E locally for $550. If you want to wait you can get it $100 cheaper from Clairparts (+ shipping I guess).

They said that "E" version of SAT receiver will not work in Audis older than 2005. But they said exact same thing about RNS-E nav working in 2004 models :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
TeddyBGame said:
Nice work. Looks like you've answered a couple of outstanding questions.

Now...we just need to find someone to install an OEM XM or Sirius in an RNS-E environment.

I bet Proxus is already making calls to the parts department. I wonder how much they want for this different item ($400+ maybe)

-ted
Why would it be any different that installing the XM unit in a B6? Audiworld has a tech article which shows how to do it. Takes about 10 min's IIRC.

The stock location is in the upper part of the storage bin on the drivers side in the trunk. Pop the little rectangle plastic piece out, reach up and pull down the wires, attach to SAT unit, mount unit and put plastic back in. Then call XM or Sirrius and sign up for service.

The only glitch I see is that when one orders those custom wiring harnesses for retro fitting the RNS-E into a B6 you need to make sure it has the connections. May also need a VAG tool to ensure the unit is set up correctly.

Just thinking out loud here. I don't have a RNS-E

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To fit the OEM XM receiver you need the sat enabled HU. We have seen in tests that we can get audio from the sat receiver but can't change channels although it detected an XM receiver and not a Sirius (this is with the US RNS-E). As I said earlier, the CAN commands may have changed and the RNS-E is expecting a different device as receiver. It might be as simple as a software update but since there are two part numbers, it could easily be more.

As Proxus said, you can always connect a 3rd party sat receiver throught the CDC port but that's a different story.

·
Registered
34 Posts
K AudiA4B6US I see what your saying and I looked it up in my collection catalog and there are two different OEM SAT units (one's with a E on the end and those without) although Clairparts list the non-E version.

Hmmm, I thought all B6's were SAT enabled already. I have a MY2005 A4 Ultrasport and it's wired and ready to go.

This presents a problem for me as I was going to get a SAT reciever b4 getting a RNS-E. Question is will the newer "E" version of the SAT Tuner work on a stock (non RNS-E) HU.

Seems rather silly (on AOA's part) though). Say you brought a B7 without navigation and with a SAT tuner. Now if you latter on if you decide to add navigation (RNS-E) you have to pull the SAT tuner and buy the "E".

That is if the "E" SAT tuner will not work on a non RNS-E HU.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
From what I heared from Clairparts...all 2005+ Audis are equipped with XM units "E" version. So looks like they will work with OEM radios as well.

This whole "E" version could be just an firmware upgrade as well.
Knowing AoA, I wouldn't be supriced at all ;)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm confused now because the options catalogue does not cover all possible configurations. I think it's safe to assume that the "E" sat receiver supports the 2005 RNS-E. And it is also safe to assume that the "A" sat receiver does not and only works with the 2004 Symphony.

But what about those who have a non-Bose, sat pre-wired B7? They do have a Symphony and can upgrade to XM. But do they need to get the "A" sat receiver (because they don't have the RNS-E or TPMS) or the "E" sat receiver (because they are "All New 05").

If the Symphony has not changed between the B6 and the B7, then I would guess the "E" sat receiver supports only the RNS-E. If the Symphony has changed, then the "E" sat receiver supports only the B7 (2005.5) and wouldn't work with a 2004 Symphony (including the one in a 2005 B6).

Anybody out here who can look up part numbers for the B6 and B7 Symphony? Or who has some more details on which sat receiver works with which HU.

Or we wait until Proxus gets his "E" sat receiver and see what happens when he connects it to his 2004 Symphony. :lol:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Or we wait until Proxus gets his "E" sat receiver and see what happens when he connects it to his 2004 Symphony. :lol:
I knew you will wait until I will test it on myself :D

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I just picked up my new XM receiver afternoon and finished with install / swap.

It's working great. I called XM with my new radio ID and after 20 minutes display changed to UPDATING STATION LIST and few seconds later I was able to browse through categories.

FILTERING come really handy and save you scrolling through all of those stations :D

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice! When you are going to remove your RNS-E the next time (to connect the Dietz?), could you try and see if the new sat receiver works with the old Symphony? Would be intersting to know if this works so people who want to do the OEM sat upgrade could get the new receiver for their old Symphony before they make the next step and get the RNS-E.

·
Registered
34 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Very nice! When you are going to remove your RNS-E the next time (to connect the Dietz?), could you try and see if the new sat receiver works with the old Symphony? Would be intersting to know if this works so people who want to do the OEM sat upgrade could get the new receiver for their old Symphony before they make the next step and get the RNS-E.
^^^ What he said. I'm hoping old symphony means Symphony II

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, in this case "old" means 2002-2004 (let's say B6) Symphony II (or Concert II) and "new" means the "All New 05" (B7) unit...

·
Registered
34 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Yeah, in this case "old" means 2002-2004 (let's say B6) Symphony II (or Concert II) and "new" means the "All New 05" (B7) unit...
Maybe I'm just getting caught up in the terminology.

I have a MY05 B6 A4 which has, as I understand it, a Symphony II HU as stock (non bose btw)

The MY05.5 B7 has Symphony II as well, again as I understand it, but is that HU any different (connections on the back wise) than the HU in the MY05?

I've been following this RNS-E thingy both on the Yahoo group and here for since they both started but have not seen too many, if any write-ups on retro's into a MY05. Alot on MY04's and MY03's and fewer yet with the SAT option. I understand that MY02-O5 are all considered B6's but with each 1/2 year release of new Audi's they change little things. Damn them.

I'll keep my eyes on the ball and try not to blink..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Until someone actually pulls put a Symphony II from a A4 B7 (or looks this info up in the parts database), we won't know if the HU has changed between the B6 (MY 2002-2005 in the US) and the B7 (MY 2005.5> in the US).

The other option is that Proxus tries to connect his brand new RNS-E comaptible XM tuner to his 2004 Symphony II HU. If this works, then the new XM receiver supports both the Symphony II and the RNS-E and the Symphony II has likely not changed between the B6 and the B7. If his new XM receiver doesn't work with his 2004 Symphony II then it is likely that the 2005.5 Symphony II in a B7 is different. The connections are likely to be the same but the CAN protocol might be different.

In the past there were two different Symphony II for the A4 B6, the older one without the SAT button, and the newer one with the SAT button. The connectors were the same though, just the language they speak is differnt.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Well...doesn't really look like it's working.
I have sound but can't get control.
Either my setup is wrong or it simply doesn't work with pre 2005 Symphony II at all.

Also Radio ID numbers of XM/RNS-E units are 10 digits instead of 8.

·
Registered
32 Posts
XM for Symphony II/Concert II:
Part No. 8E0 057 593A

Part number on my XM tuner out of a 2004 B6 is

8E0 035 593A

which is not the same as the one posted in the accessories guide

so i wonder if it's simply another version, or just an update

1 - 20 of 88 Posts