Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a S3 with the Symphony stereo so I don't have to change into double din when I insert the rns-e I intend to buy when the car arrives.

Now I just got informed that Audi have a brand new Symphony stereo that my car will arrive with. (See picture) It looks a lot better then the old one and have functions like built in cd-changer and mp3-disc support.

1. Anyone tried it and have comments?

In the end I still think I want the rns-e system, loved it in my old car.

2. Have they changed anything else other then the stereo, like cabels,fitting and so on. I want to make sure the 8P0 035 192 stil will fit?

I really want the installation to go as perfect as it did in my old A3 2,0 FSI. Pull out the stereo, Plug in the adapter, place the antenna and connect the wires to the rns-e and DONE! Worked like a charm!

Thanks guys!

Regards

/Freddie

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Congratulations to the car, would be my choice as well if it would be available here. Anyway. see http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3547 for details about the new II+ generation of radios. You won't need the Quadlock to ISO adapter because the II+ radios already use the Quadlock. Just be careful because you will need to change a couple pins. The rest should be pretty much the plug and play.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AudiA4B6US: Thank you! I just had to buy it after I had a test drive. I and get this, before I tested the S3 I tested the RS4 but the S3 was so much more fun to drive.

Also thanks for the url. Seems a bit more complicated for me then I thought. I probably gonna scream for help when the cars arrives and it's time for the instalation. :oops:

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's worth noting that all of the Audi stereo options are now double-din, right down to the Chorus. If you're only going to yank it in favour of an RNS-E when you receive the car, why not just order the bog standard Chorus?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vertigo1 said:
It's worth noting that all of the Audi stereo options are now double-din, right down to the Chorus. If you're only going to yank it in favour of an RNS-E when you receive the car, why not just order the bog standard Chorus?
Didn't realize that until I heard it from a friend, that was after I had sign the contract on the car.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Vertigo1 said:
The Chorus has the worst speaker system with only 4 passive front speakers. Concert and Symphony have at least the same 140W 5 channel 8 speaker system. So anybody not planning on upgrading amps and speakers should at least get the Concert.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The swap from sym2+ is REALLY easy. You just have to relocate the K-line wire (n/a in your 8P S3) and the BOSE pin (only if your car has BOSE). Both of these can be moved without any special tools.

Everything else is plug and play, including the radio antenna. The only thing you really have to do is plug in the GPS antenna and recode everything with VAG-COM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NSX JR said:
The swap from sym2+ is REALLY easy. You just have to relocate the K-line wire (n/a in your 8P S3) and the BOSE pin (only if your car has BOSE). Both of these can be moved without any special tools.

Everything else is plug and play, including the radio antenna. The only thing you really have to do is plug in the GPS antenna and recode everything with VAG-COM.
Ok, sounds like even me with low technical skills could handle that. How will I know which pins to relocate and move to where?

And the VAG-COM, is it really necessary to use it and what for? Last time I installed a rns-e unit everything worked without using vag-com, even the display in the instrument cluster. The only thing I'am a bit worried about is the multifunction steering wheel. Didnt have that in my old car but now I have, will they work without configuration?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
There are labels on the top of each radio headunit that list the pinouts. Just cross check each wiring label and it will be fairly obvious which pins need to be moved. Like I said above, in the 8P you will only have to worry about the BOSE pin. So, if you don't have BOSE speakers, you won't even have to move any wires around at all.

With VAG-COM you will want to verify the coding of your RNS-E (Bose or non-bose, telephone, cd changer, MFSW, TV tuner) and code your CAN Gateway to enable the navigation info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I have Bose... Even I should be able to relocate a pin :?
Where can I get a hold of the VAG-COM software? Found a swedish dealer who sold the usb-cable and software for $350.

When I searched Ebay I found the cabel for $20 so I guess the dealer values the software pretty high

·
Registered
515 Posts
congrats!!.. i would love an S3..

does the S3 without the RNS-E still have the MFSW (steering wheel controls)??..

doesnt the S3 RNS-E have a special boot-up screen??.. i wonder if you will be able to figure out how to get it??..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
FreddieS3 said:
Where can I get a hold of the VAG-COM software? Found a swedish dealer who sold the usb-cable and software for $350.

When I searched Ebay I found the cabel for $20 so I guess the dealer values the software pretty high
The $20 cable won't work with your car. Spend the money once on the real cable (which includes the full version of the VAG-COM software) and be happy with future software updates and support if you need it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
FreddieS3 said:

The $20 cable won't work with your car. Spend the money once on the real cable (which includes the full version of the VAG-COM software) and be happy with future software updates and support if you need it.
The 8P A3/S3 needs a cable that includes CAN - that's why the $20 cable won't work with your car.

As Dirk says you can get the cable from Ross Tech (you need either the micro-CAN, HEX-COM+CAN or HEX-USB+CAN depending on what ports you have on your laptop - and note the micro-CAN is restricted which cars you can use it on) and then get full support and be able to download the latest version of VAG-COM anytime from their website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fritzner said:
congrats!!.. i would love an S3..

does the S3 without the RNS-E still have the MFSW (steering wheel controls)??..

doesnt the S3 RNS-E have a special boot-up screen??.. i wonder if you will be able to figure out how to get it??..
Yes, a S3 without the rns-e will still have MFSW. It's standard eqipment, at least here in Scandinavia. Although I added the MFSW from the RS4.

Yes, speical boot screen in S3. See http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4095

Thank you guys on the advice with the VAG-COM, I guess is's better to pay a bit more to get the real stuff then being a cheap bastard and end up with bad quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
FreddieS3 said:
fritzner said:
Yes, speical boot screen in S3. See http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4095
If you read that thread you'll see we don't know how to make the special S3 boot screen appear in a retrofitted RNS-E.

It could be a different part number for the RNS-E, a special value in an adaptation channel, ... or something else?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts