Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ppl;

I have the rns-e in my audi a4 2002 avant model...and the rns-e have a srtange behaviour...sometimes i'm following the map and when i see the cross is out the road....but i don't see any road near...after 10/20 seconds it 's coming back to the road. Sometimes the cross is behind and sometimes is in front...i think the rns-e have a delay of 50/100 meters but the strange is everything is ok, i went to audi and they have coded the unit...and still th same. This is a faulty rns-e??

Thanks, if some1 can help me.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
How many satellites do you usually receive? And how many miles or km did you drive since you installed the RNS?

·
Registered
530 Posts
It could be a mapping issue - if the map content is old (ie new roads have been made etc) the Nav unit won't know where you are on the map and may act a little erratically.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
alphasil said:
sometimes i'm following the map and when i see the cross is out the road....but i don't see any road near...after 10/20 seconds it 's coming back to the road. Sometimes the cross is behind and sometimes is in front...i think the rns-e have a delay of 50/100 meters
Sounds to me like your GPS antenna or connection is faulty, or is in a place in the car that only gets a weak signal.

The behaviour you are describing is what happens when you are only receiving very few satellites and the RNS-E has to rely mostly on dead reckoning.

Here's what happens: the GPS signal gets a fix so it positions you correctly on the map, then the GPS signal gets a bit weaker so the RNS-E switches over to dead reckoning - as you drive along its "guesstimate" of your direction and speed is slightly wrong so you appear to drift off the road into "No Man's Land", then the GPS signal gets a bit stronger so it gets a fix again and puts you back on the road.

As AudiA4B6US suggests check how many satellites the RNS-E can see, if it's less than 5 then you have a problem (4 is the minimum to get a 3D fix). Where is your GPS antenna fitted? Originally I had mine on the top of the glovebox and it was pretty bad (sometimes taking 20 minutes to see 4 satellites), since I moved it to the underside of the dashboard I reliably see 6-8 satellites. If that's not your problem then check the GPS antenna connectors are fully pressed home. If that's not the problem then try another GPS antenna.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All

Hi ppl;

I have 7 satelites always...when i go to the nav-info section.
This is the first time it happen to me, i living in Portugal and i went to Sagres, the main road is the N125...the nav info was correct but in 3 times he the cross left the road and i was in "no road" and the strange is the main road N125 was in the map but i was outside the road.
And a lot of times...i have a crossroad, the cross in my nav have a delay os 50/100. I can see that when i'm in Lisbon, when i'm driving trought the street he gives me the name of the street after, not when i'm get into that street..
So that's why i'm think the rns-e is prblably faulty.
I have the shark antenna on the roof...

Any help?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Could also be outdated/incorrect road data. What DVD are you using? If you are using the newest DVD, try to go into Engineering Mode and write down the GPS position. The go to Google Maps and enter that location. See if Google (who are using Navteq data IIRC) is showing the same position as your RNS-E.

if the pointer is only once in a while behind or ahead I would suspect incorrect navigation data. If the pointer is constantly behind or ahead (same distance everywhere) I would suspect a faulty GPS antenna first and then look into a faulty RNS-E.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would also go into engineering mode to check, that you have a speed signal. When I run without speed signel it behaves somewhat like what you describe.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: All

alphasil said:
my nav have a delay os 50/100. I can see that when i'm in Lisbon, when i'm driving trought the street he gives me the name of the street after, not when i'm get into that street..
So that's why i'm think the rns-e is prblably faulty.
50/100 metres delay is typical for ALL GPS systems - the GPS tells you where you WERE when it acquired the signal, which since it takes a few moments to process that isn't where you ARE now!

Since you have 7 satellites and are using the sharkfin antenna, I agree that you should check the speed signal. Try driving around with the correct page showing in Enginering Mode - get a passenger to look at the screen!!!

Is your RNS-E coded for the correct vehicle type? A3/A4 use CAN bus but A6 uses a speed signal wire, and the CAN messages are different between vehcile types (even between A4 and A4 Cabriolet).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ppl;

I will check this, if the speed signal is off, how can i turn it on...do i have this option in the rns-e?
The sharfin can be faulty? How do i get satelites then? I don't understand.
Thanks for your help...i will tell something later.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
You don't have a problem with the sharkfin.

Since you have a B6 A4 the speed signal is on the CAN bus, so you need to check the coding of your RNS-E is correct for a B6 A4 sedan/avant - otherwise your RNS-E will not be able to decode it correctly.

There's no setting in the RNS-E to disable speed signal - unless of course yours has been "modified" by one of the German firms that says they can enable TV in motion???

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The software TV in Motion does not filter the speed signal, that's only the hardware adapters that do that. With the software solution your navigation keeps working and the speed is shown in Engineering Mode. but the TV is still unlocked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, Clean your Nav Disc! I have had a film on the dvd disc before which accumulates over time and then causes errors just as you describe. Eject your Nav disc and see what yours looks like and if dirty gently clean and reinsert.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Enginner mode

HI PPL;

I put on enginner mode and i have this sttings on nav

Vehicle signal rev OFF

Location Information
Learning ON
Distance 0.832
Speed Level HI
Pulse -6
Tire Circule - 1930
Impalse/Rotation -8

Is all correct??

I saw the vehicle siganl is OFF, must be on, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
rev = reverse, that should be off unless you are in reverse

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Check one of the other screen in Engineerign Mode, one shows the GPS speed and speed form the cluster. Make sure that you get a speed signal. If you get 7 sat then it's not a problem with your sharkfin antenna.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have speed signal

Hi ppl;

I do Have speed signal...it show me the speed in engineer mode. I think is trhe rns-e..because sometimes he take a long time to move the cross when i'm in the road...
Must be...

any help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.