Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to identify where the problem with my RNS-E and my XM Satellite module is. My problem is simple, no matter how long I wait, my XM module will not activate. I have checked CAN-BUS and the Engineering Mode and it seems OK. I have tried two different 035 Rev. E modules.

I have the latest US firmware load on a Euro RNS-E.

Here's the situation. When I turn the car on, FIS reads:

Loading SDARS. The RNS-E recognizes XM on the display but where the channel information should be are lines --------- <= like this. Next to the lines are the words LOADING.

After about 20 min., the FIS changes to Preview, the XM Preview channel, along with channel 247 and 174 show up on the display. And the normal channel information is displayed. XM Audio can be heard. These are the normal free channels. However, no matter how long I wait, the module will not activate the subscribed channels.

Could this be a VAG-COM issue (an incorrect code?) or something else I haven't tried. Thanks for any help - it's been 60 days of trial and error so far.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Once you hear preview channel, you need to scroll to getto RADIO ID andwrite it down. Then you needto call XM and let them know your RADIO IS number. They y should activate it within 15-20 minutes

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Did you get the receiver used or new form the dealer? Someone posted a long time ago that there might be issues activating a receiver that was previously activated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did call XM to activate. That isn't the problem. No matter how long I wait, the box won't activate. It's my second box - the first box wouldn't activate either, which is why I think it's something in VAG-COM.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Since you tried 2 different tuners the ionly options left are:
- SAT radio wiring
- VAG coding

check coding of your RNS-E for sat radio and try again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm actually having this problem, too. BUT

mine worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. For the past few weeks, it's spent a lot of time "Updating station list" and "INITIALIZING".

This morning, it started behaving just like eseer's unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try recoding with VAG-COM (buying the real thing from Ross) and see if that cures my problem.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
after new box is installed your DIS will show:

Initializing SDARS

then after a few seconds should display channel info or:

No SDARS found

I would say start checking coding of your RNS-E first.
If everything is OK I will go to wires next.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This really has nothing to do with VAG-COM because there is no VAG coding to be done to the SAT tuner module. The RNS-E coding for SAT or without SAT will not matter because the RNS-E is smart enough to use any devices it finds on the CANbus whether or not it is properly coded for them (it will just give a fault code for "control module improperly coded").

I had the same thing happen to an XM tuner about 6 months ago. Diagnosis: it was dead. Nothing to be done except trash it and get a new one.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
2 broken tuners in the row ??? :shock:

By VAG coding I mean RNS-E. It's obvious that unit doesn't get any signals from SAT tuner, so if he got proper tuner only wiring (car or adapter) or coding could be wrong.

[table:777ad4631b][row color=black:777ad4631b]STG 56 (Navigation System) -> Coding -> Function 07
[row:777ad4631b]
0xxxx?x: Options I
1 - default
2 - Digital-Radio
3 - Satelite-Radio
4 - Satelite- and Digital-Radio[/table:777ad4631b]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my tuner in my C5 RS6... NSXJR can you confirm that the dead XM Tuner box could get the preview channel and 174/247 with full reception but would not update?

Regards,

Marcus

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, it would get those channels just fine, but only after about 10 minutes of "LOADING" on the RNS-E screen, and "INITIAL. SDARS" on the cluster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NSX JR said:
Yes, it would get those channels just fine, but only after about 10 minutes of "LOADING" on the RNS-E screen, and "INITIAL. SDARS" on the cluster.
Thanks for your reply. How on earth can my 1 month old XM Tuner module be bad? Is Audi's QC that bad? This is not a cheap unit, and absolutely nothing happened except the car's battery died.

Not to question your authority NSX JR, but even though replacing the unit is obviously a possible fix, I just have trouble (coming from my professional background which does involve electronic devices not too removed from this module) believing that _practically new_ units drop like flies without something causing the failure. I guess in this case, it's Audi's problem. I think people need to be aware of this though when purchasing this item.

-m

·
Registered
737 Posts
With my Sirius tuner I've basically stopped the service because of the terrible service. Audi blames it on Sirius and Sirius blames it on Audi, it's been a run around with that subject. The Audi service says it works as it should and that's it and they also say it's supposed to do that.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Marcus Frost said:
Thanks for your reply. How on earth can my 1 month old XM Tuner module be bad? Is Audi's QC that bad? This is not a cheap unit, and absolutely nothing happened except the car's battery died.

Not to question your authority NSX JR, but even though replacing the unit is obviously a possible fix, I just have trouble (coming from my professional background which does involve electronic devices not too removed from this module) believing that _practically new_ units drop like flies without something causing the failure. I guess in this case, it's Audi's problem. I think people need to be aware of this though when purchasing this item.

-m
After going through this with my own tuner, you dont have to convince me. However, cant you just get the tuner replaced under warranty? ALL audi parts are sold with a 12-month warranty.

Also, Audi does not make the tuners, they are made by Delphi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NSX JR said:
After going through this with my own tuner, you dont have to convince me. However, cant you just get the tuner replaced under warranty? ALL audi parts are sold with a 12-month warranty.

Also, Audi does not make the tuners, they are made by Delphi.
Absolutely Audi is going to replace it, but that is not an excuse. I am not looking forward to convincing the Audi dealership the unit is defective when it recieves a Satelite signal... hopefully things will go smoothly.

-m

·
Registered
129 Posts
PROXUS said:
2 broken tuners in the row ??? :shock:

By VAG coding I mean RNS-E. It's obvious that unit doesn't get any signals from SAT tuner, so if he got proper tuner only wiring (car or adapter) or coding could be wrong.

[row color=black] STG 56 (Navigation System) -> Coding -> Function 07
[row]
0xxxx?x: Options I
1 - default
2 - Digital-Radio
3 - Satelite-Radio
4 - Satelite- and Digital-Radio
Hey Proxus, did you find any resolution for this?

My XM tuner just did the same thing. It was anly installed for a day, worked fine the first day, second day, started getting some intermitent "updating channel info" messages and now, on the third day its just stuck in "initilizing" sometimes it flips to the long activation message and then back to "initializing"... Its just crazy that it would die after only three days...
So is there any updates on this guys? Or, as NSXJr say, my unit it now trash...?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
After multiple calls to XM and try to get the signal re-activated, the only solution was having Audi replace it under warranty - which wasn't a bad thing, it was no cost. I have since sold my RS6 but for the time after it was replaced I never had another problem. The unit in my B7 S4 is now 9 months old and has not had any issues.

-m

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.