Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was stolen last week. The Tracker meant that it was found by a police helicopter within half an hour or so of it going missing. The car itself seems to be in exactly the condition it was stolen in, nothing whatsoever missing. However, the RNS-E unit that I fitted a while back was asking for the code. I'm fairly sure that the battery wasn't disconnected since it's in the boot on my car, and there were valuables in the boot that surely would have gone as a result. I don't think they've messed with the fusebox, so I wonder if they've done something to the unit itself? They didn't seem to make any effort to steal the unit or prise it free.

The only way I could possibly explain it is if the cable adapter is a bit dodgy and perhaps came loose during the thieves inevitably spirited driving. But I wonder if there's something else that can be pressed on the unit itself that returns it to that point? It hadn't had any kind of global reset - the preset locations were still there.

I'm just worried that they've done something to my car that I haven't noticed...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What kind of car? In any 2002+ Audi it should only ask for the code if the CAN is not connected or if the instrument cluster got swapped and is therefore reporting a different VIN as part of the imobilizer coding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you know how the car was stolen? I.e. did they steal the keys to take the car? This might help understand what if anything was changed.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
They could have used a device that makes the immobiliser believe they have a genuine key with transponder.

Such a device could interfere with the stored VIN that the RNS-E uses to check whether it has been moved to another car - that would make the RNS-E ask for the PIN.

Have you noticed the same car parking near you several times when you've been getting in and out the car recently? That would have been the thieves using a rolling code "grabber" which would let them steal your car without having to break-in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys. Yeah, I know how the keys were stolen - they were taken from my hand by three men in balaclavas. Rather less subtle than a code grabber. I'm a bit reluctant to give too many specific details away on here, especially as they're still at large (I'm not the only victim) and it's still an ongoing police investigation so my apologies for being vague. Having thought some more about it, I'm wondering whether the answer was in the question.. ie, it was Tracker themselves that can kill the power to the car remotely. I'm waiting for them to get back to me on that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Most likely once tracker was activated it was draining your battery for a while.

If unit ask for the code..just type it in.
If it will loop not allowing you to type in the code....

...turn off your car
...turn on your lights
...try to type it 2-3 times and if it loops
...hold RADIO + SETUP buttons together to restart

....type PIN again and turn on your engine

this should fix your problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts