Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I admit that the information I need might exist in the forum but I have not found it, so here is my question, I'll appreciate if one of the experts around can help.

I'm looking to buy a VAG-COM cable to properly code my car. I', driving an A4 Avant, 2.0TDi, late 2005.

Neither my usual AUDI dealer nor a couple of others I visited were able to code my newly mounted RNS-E properly with their VAS systems. I suspect this was nothing but pure ignorance. Anyway, I'll do it myself if I can find the right cable.

On eBay there are many available but most state that they are not compatible with A4 (B7). Should I be looking for nsomething different? Maybe CAN-BUS cable? I don't understand the difference...

thanks in advance for your help,
rtdias

357 Posts
If you're looking to only code the RNS-E, the $20 ebay cables (alpha-bid is a good seller) is all you need for that.

However, many of the control modules on your car, including your engine, run over the CAN-bus, and therefore, you would not be able to scan those modules with the cheap 3rd party vendor cables. You would need to get an authentic Ross-Tech Hex+CAN cable from www.ross-tech.com. Definitely worth the investment if you see yourself troubleshooting your car whenever your check engine light comes or if you want to code a bluetooth module in the future, just to name a few things.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
As step has said to be able to access all the modules on a B7 A4 you need either a HEX-COM+CAN or a HEX-USB+CAN cable, which will allow you to run VAG-COM 704 (or the VCDS - the new name for VAG-COM - 803 beta).

If you are thinking of fitting the Bluetooth phone module at a later date then don't bother with an eBay cable, you will need VAG-COM 6xx and the cheap eBay cables won't allow you to run versions that new.

If all you want to do is basic coding of the RNS-E a cheap eBay cable MIGHT be OK, but if think you might want to do more then get a proper cable from Ross-Tech.

Many who have bought the cheap cables have had problems and had to buy a genuine cable in addition - worth thinking about...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once again, thanks for the excellent advice. I already have a Blurtooth module, fitted at factory, that always has shown some odd behaviours that were never fixed at any dealer. One of them was to "work" in a different language than the rest of the car/DIS system (DIS-english, BT-Spanish). So I think I'll go to Ross-Tech now...

thanks.
rtdias

·
Registered
132 Posts
So if I want to be able to change codes on my 2001 A4 RNS-E, the cheap cable will work? I can only see myself changing the NAV & Radio codes.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
So if I want to be able to change codes on my 2001 A4 RNS-E, the cheap cable will work? I can only see myself changing the NAV & Radio codes.
You may not be able to change all the adaptation channels of the RNS-E - there is an upper limit with older versions of VAG-COM but I can't remember what that limit is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the cheap serial cable with the 3.11 version software and could not communicate with the RNS-E. Fortunately, the cable broke, so I was able to get my hands on a used Ross-Tech HEX-USB+CAN cable and the latest software.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Micro-CAN vs. HEX-USB+HEX

Hi

Does anyone know, if the cheaper Micro-CAN interface from Ross-Tech, will be just as usefull, as a HEX-USB+CAN Interface when I'm dealing with an A3 8P MY2007?

Thanks!
Audia38p

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
It's most likely a cheap clone cable that stops working with the first update. Not worth the hassle in my opinion.
It's interesting that the website says it works with 704.1, which is NOT the latest version ... caveat emptor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I've one cable from this seller. It works with 704 and the last 803 beta.
But that's true that you have to take care to disable all internet connections to be sure that the module will not be killed.

Cheers
Raph

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
But that's true that you have to take care to disable all internet connections to be sure that the module will not be killed.
You certainly don't have to do that with a genuine cable ...

I find it very useful to have windows to the Ross Tech wiki and to the OpenOBD website open while I'm using VAG-COM...

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
What is the last version then? - I just ordered a Micro-CAN cable from Ross-Tech yesterday, and I downloaded v. 704.1
There's a beta 803.3

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's a beta 803.3
When you're talking about a beta version I guess you're talking about a test-version? Are there any risks downloading and using the beta-version 803.3? (you will have to consider that I've never used VAG-COM before - I'm a total beginner) What is the difference between v. 704.1 and v. 803.3?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts