Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

i was wondering if you know some website or something like that where i could see an compatible list of the RNS-D navigations? I mean i want to see if the A6 4B0 units would also fit an A4 or A3? And if yes which modell years? Cause the RNS-E A6 units are also working in pre 2002 cars... so i thought maybe its the same with rns-d units.

Or if the A4 units would fit an A6? Which unit is for the a3? Cause the a3 faceplate should have rounded corners like the rns-e shouldnt it?

I would also be happy for informations which units can be installed plug and play and which need the gala signal or something else...

I was already reading the other topics in this forum but couldnt find any helpfull informations.

Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting some of these units soon from my supplier and i want to sell them on. So i am just looking for some kind of knowledge base as i already described in my post before.

I want to know if an A6 unit fits also A4,A3 and if yes only B5 or also B6 modell?
And if an A4 would fit an A6,A3 (B5 also B6?).
And if an A3 unit woult fit an A6,A4 (b5 also B6)

btw: i was already reading the quicklinks but couldnt find any usefull informations... if you have an link for me that would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In general each head unit is made for a certain model only. An A4 unit won't fit an A3 or A6, an A3 unit wont fit an A4 or A6 and an A6 unit wont fit an A3 or A4.

Now, if you don't talk about the perfect fit you may be able to use an RNS in a car it wasn't originally made for. The few combinations are A6 unit in a B5 A4, A4 unit in a D2 A8 facelift and A6 unit in a A2. But fitting them will require a serious amount of dremeling (or similar) and is not in any way plug and play.

As a serious seller you should follow this rule for plug and play installations: A3->8P0, A4 B6/B7 -> 8E0 and A6 C5 facelift -> 4B0. Everything else is not OEM and not plug and play. Even though there are many out here who have retrofit a 4B0 unit in a A4/S4 B5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got two more questions guys about the RNS-D A4 nav units. Do these units always have an chrome bottom or not always?

Which is the correct Nav unit for the 2001 S4? This this the same like normal A4? Is it also possible to install an A6 unit into this car?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Only the A4 B6 unit has the chrome stripe at the bottom, A4 B5/A6/A3 don't have that. Instead of saying 2001 S4 you should say B5 S4 or B6 S4, they both use different head units. To see if you got a B5/8D or a B6/8E check the VIN. An A4 unit will fit in an S4 only if its the same base platform (B5/B6), S4 platforms changed not in synch with A4 platforms. And US models are usually about a year behind Euro models, means a 2001 A4 in Europe may be a B6 but a 2001 A4 in the US is a B5.

To summarize, check the VIN for the correct platform (8L/8P/8D/8E/4B/4C/4D), then pick the corresponding head unit for that model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know the correct unit for an B5 A4 must start with the 8D0 Part number. But i was wondering if an 8E0 unit would also fit or an 4b0 a6 unit? What is the difference between that?

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
chris24072 said:
i know the correct unit for an B5 A4 must start with the 8D0 Part number. But i was wondering if an 8E0 unit would also fit or an 4b0 a6 unit? What is the difference between that?

thanks
Only the 8D0 will have the correct faceplate.

The 4B0 (for A6's) could be used, but the bottom edge will have to be sawed off and there will be small gaps on the sides. Depending on suffix the color may be off too.

8E0 is for B6 A4/S4's. Not even close to a fit.

-Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts