Audi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear some opinions as of where should I get power from for the BT module.

In the how to's I read I saw people getting it from a constant 12V source (which I think means, it's on all the time - with my little auto electrical experience) or from the fuse box.
None has gotten power from the RNS-E but maybe I am mistaken.

I chose the fuse box (there is one for telephone) and it's only on when the ignition is on.

Why shouldn't I connect to the power wire that goes into the RNS-E?
Is there a risk for a short or overloading that wire?
Just curious. I wonder how the factory installed one works.

I dont think I mind the way it is right now, for example, today I had the engine running but the RNS-E was off and the BT was still working which was kinda of neat.

On the other hand sometimes you have the engine turned off w/o the key in the ignitionand want to listen to music and have the BT running.

I guess it boils down to what you want more.

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is exactly what I was coming to post on. Lee told me I could put the power wire for the BT module in (D-16) on the RNS plug n' play adaptor.

But since hooking it up today I'm blowing fuses instantly. I don't know what else it could be. Maybe someone will chime in and try to explain.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
All 45 modules I have installed so far have gotten power from the harness power to the RNS-E without any problems.

There is a fuse box option with the Kufatec harness, but I have not used that yet.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I would recommend fuse box (driver side). Any ignition fuse is OK. Why? because Bluetooth range is bigger than people imagine and when you have your TEL interface constanly powered and you are within 20-30' distance from the car (ex. pumping gas, talking with someone outside the car or even parked close to home) your calls will mostlike be switched to the NAV unit. That is pretty annoing :D This was main reason why my TEL is wired to ignition power.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As I have said many times before, the phone will not switch to the bluetooth in the car once the key has been removed. You should power the module from a constant battery source just like Audi intended it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
After you remove your key, unit is still powered for some time. My setup was switching even after key removal, that's why I connected to ignition.
In other hand, I did many installations with constant power connection and people didn't complain. I guess it is matter of prefference.

Those are 2 different spots for constant and ignition power sources on driver side:

Ignition connection:

[siteimg:e18ebdd63d]278[/siteimg:e18ebdd63d]

Constant power and Ground:

[siteimg:e18ebdd63d]505[/siteimg:e18ebdd63d]

[siteimg:e18ebdd63d]506[/siteimg:e18ebdd63d]

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
PROXUS said:
After you remove your key, unit is still powered for some time. My setup was switching even after key removal, that's why I connected to ignition.
The time that the Bluetooth stays active after the key is removed is configurable using adaptation channel 129, the default being 0 (which actually means 30 seconds). The value can be adjusted in steps of 5 minutes up to 1200 minutes, 1.e. 1=5 minutes, 2=10 minutes, etc.

It sounds like yours, Proxus, was set to a non-zero value.

Set this value to zero and then you can connect your Bluetooth module as Audi intended.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
When I remove the ignition key I hear immediately the bing that tells me the phone disconnected. I haven't tried playing with those settings though and my module is connected to terminal 30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts