Audi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the serial number on an RNS-E?
Is it shown outside of the unit or only via VAG-COM?

-Thanks,

Keith

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Just looked at a spare RNS-E I've got in my study - no serial number label on that.

That suggests you either need VAG-COM, or you can see the serial number in Engineering Mode.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. I'll probably have to slip a VAG-COM onto it; I doubt you can get into engineering mode without the code... unless you know otherwise?

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The serial number for my RNS-E is on the label on top of the unit, it begins with AUZ...
Huh... Mine doesn't seem to have that number.

Is the sticker of which you speak separate to the main sticker (with the pinouts and hardware numbers etc) or on the same sticker?

-Keith

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, sorry, it was on a separate sticker on the top of the unit, in fact I think it was meant to be removed from the unit... You can get the AUZ number with Vag-com, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just picked up a brand new unit. It came with two stickers still on the backing, one was the serial number and one was the radio code.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, sorry, it was on a separate sticker on the top of the unit, in fact I think it was meant to be removed from the unit... You can get the AUZ number with Vag-com, though.
Roger that, -thanks.

-I just picked up a 'spare' unit, and it's arrived without the code, although the fact that it has the documentation (manual) and the original DVD case makes me think that it's legitimate, I wanted to try to get it operational.

At the very worst, I though that it would be a useful donor for button caps, screen & DVD drive if nothing else.

Keith

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
No, sorry, it was on a separate sticker on the top of the unit, in fact I think it was meant to be removed from the unit...
My spare unit has a sticky patch on the top - maybe that's where the serial number label used to be?

VAG-COM or Engineering Mode will show you the serial number.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My spare unit has a sticky patch on the top - maybe that's where the serial number label used to be?
Mine too, now that I look at it. -Sort of a 'tacky-strip' right by some lightly engraved 'corner-guide' lines... -does that sound similar?

VAG-COM or Engineering Mode will show you the serial number.
Ah, I'll give it a shot on the bench then. (The upper-right release tab on my in-car RNS-E is a pain in the buttox, so it'd be easier not to have to 'poke the bear' if I don't have to. I'll try bench-powering it and accessing engineering mode then.

Keith

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Mine too, now that I look at it. -Sort of a 'tacky-strip' right by some lightly engraved 'corner-guide' lines... -does that sound similar?
Same on mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Powered it up on the bench this lunchtime...

It doesn't seem to allow access to the engineering page until after the code has been entered... which isn't much use to me! ](*,)

So I'll have to try and tug mine out of the dashboard, and slap the VAG-COM on it. -Trouble is that the wife has my A3 at the moment.

I'm ASSUMING that I can still pull the S/N with VAG-com without first entering the code???

-Keith

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Beginning with sw EU0360/US0150 the serial number is shown on the pin entry screen. Turning a used RNS-E on without CAN connected should make that pin entry screen appear and show the serial number.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No serial number on the PIN-Entry screen. -Will have to look up the software revision, but the model number is 8P0 035 192 B.

I tugged my daily-driver's RNS-E out this evening, popped the new arrival in its place, and pulled the code. -Just thought I should post back to confirm that the advanced ID (including serial number) CAN in fact be read with no code, so your 99% bets sound l;ike good ones, Dave! ;)

I'll try to use that to see if I can get the code, now.

Keith

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Software -according to the Advanced ID screen- appears to be US 0200. Definitely no serial number on the log-in screen when bench-powered (No CAN connection).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts