Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would say it turn on the stock or Bose amp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured. However is it like a switched 12V line or something like that, or just a signal?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
On the RNS-E it's 12V+ switched power, on the VW amp I don't know.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. So the RNS-E sends out 12V, or it expects it from the car?
2. What are the differences between having it hooked up or not?[/quote]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's send from the RNS-E to turn on other devices. I'm sure the RNS-E doesn't care if you don't connect anything to this wire. But how would you turn on your amp if not by using this wire?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my battery drain issues seemed to come up after disconnecting this wire. On the stock VW connector it was a 12V lead. I'm just wondering if I should try re-attaching it but I don't want anything to blow-out.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
smash said:
Well, my battery drain issues seemed to come up after disconnecting this wire. On the stock VW connector it was a 12V lead. I'm just wondering if I should try re-attaching it but I don't want anything to blow-out.
That's probably because your amp is now permanently turned on.

Why did you disconnect this wire?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Dave! I recognize you from my post in the RS4 forum on VWvortex. (about if it's worth it over the S4 :D)

Anyway, The problem I have is just over the incompatibilities over the retrofit into my VW.

I can't remember if that wire was hooked-up-to D13 or not... it was hooked up somewhere and I have a sneaking suspicion it was perhaps for the alarm? I'm trying to find a picture of the stock radio harness before we started switching things.

Regardless, the line is a 12V line, and I'm not sure what to do if the RNS-E is also sending 12V. Is it looking for different things on different cars or anything like that?[/quote]

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Hey smash, nice to see you on here too.

OK, the normal situation is that the head unit outputs +12V on a wire when it wants the amp to turn on, this connects to an input on the amp. This is pretty much the case on most (can't say all) OE and aftermarket head units and amps.

So as well as the line in and speaker connections your amp should have 3 other connections - ground, permanent (fused) power and an amp enable in. All you need to do is check your amp has a permanent (fused) +12V connection, and then connect the amp turn on wire from the RNS-E (pin D/13) to the "amp enable" pin of your VW amp and you should be good to go.

The alarm wire for the RNS-E is on a different pin (D/14) and just needs to be connected to ground.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure if the "Monsoon" amp is setup with that turn-on wire, though... because I don't see anything back there.

For some reason there's two 12V wires running into the car though, one of which I believe is for the alarm. (we disconnected that one)

Not sure what to do... this sure is a pain

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Sounds like you need the installation information for the Monsoon amp - is it downloadable from their website?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much nobody deals with stock stereos... especially those from other cars (other than the OEM "Delta" system from overseas)

I guess we could try poking around with an Ohm meter and following colors/stripes back there...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts