Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my free 2007 discs today. Audi insisted on upgrading it themselves and it went ok (they left me with my 2005 disc).

When I drove off the disc that was in there was the 2nd DVD (i.e. 'East' Europe) and no streets were shown on the map. I changed the DVD to the 1st DVD and the unit says 'DVD unreadable, please insert correct DVD'!!!!!

I have tried a reset and also leaving the disc in there for some time but nothing changes.

Incidentally the TMC is still crossed through.

Software version is now 550.

Any ideas...?? ](*,)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Albert...

Got my free 2007 discs today. Audi insisted on upgrading it themselves and it went ok (they left me with my 2005 disc).

So my guess is originals

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
did you try to clean laser eye? This would be the last chance if your drive is bad.
Use Qtip and Windex. Open top cover and move laser bracket to the position when you can see laser eye.
Do it gently and without power on of course :D
spill some Windex on top of Qtip and clean the eye. Don't use much pressure.
Let it dry and test your DVD again.

Cleaning discks don't work (at least never did for me) but this method could work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haaggie said:
okidoki.., yes I konw Bruce having problems with his DVD drive..Still the same problems with your drive Bruce, isn't it?
You would think Haagie but that doesn't explain why the 'East' Europe disc works fine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROXUS said:
did you try to clean laser eye? This would be the last chance if your drive is bad.
Use Qtip and Windex. Open top cover and move laser bracket to the position when you can see laser eye.
Do it gently and without power on of course :D
spill some Windex on top of Qtip and clean the eye. Don't use much pressure.
Let it dry and test your DVD again.

Cleaning discks don't work (at least never did for me) but this method could work.
OK, I will give that a go.

I am confused because if I 'downgrade' the software to the one on my 2004 disc and use that disc then the Nav works fine...trouble is, my bluetooth doesn't then!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
the 2004 software is bad, bad, bad. The only good thing is that it reads DVDs better than 03xx and 04xx.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, EU sw 0050 and 0080 on the 2004 DVDs are really "pre-release" in my point of view, EU 0100 on the 2005 DVD was the first really usable software, similar to the US 0020. So if a 2004 DVD he is all he has, he might be downgrading to some really buggy software.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would the fact that the TMC isn't working indicate that the firmware may not have installed properly?

I have set the station search to auto but it will only let me change this with the 'east' european disc inserted. If I try to change the settings with the other one inserted then all I get is 'Please Insert the DVD'

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Try downgrading to SW0050, then upgrade back to 0550 using the correct Western Europe DVD.

I heard elsewhere that upgrading using the Eastern Europe DVD can cause unspecified problems..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you go into engineering mode and read off the navver and audver I can tell you what software your RNS-E is running. But if it shows 0550 after the dealer did the update, you are fine. Only if it shows X--- somthing went wrong with the update. As Proxus said, it's likely a problem with your DVD drive. If the RNS-E is two years or more old, the lense may be dirty and won't accept even a brand new original DVD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PetrolDave said:
Try downgrading to SW0050, then upgrade back to 0550 using the correct Western Europe DVD.

I heard elsewhere that upgrading using the Eastern Europe DVD can cause unspecified problems..
Thanks Dave, I will try this. =D>

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
If you go into engineering mode and read off the navver and audver I can tell you what software your RNS-E is running. But if it shows 0550 after the dealer did the update, you are fine. Only if it shows X--- somthing went wrong with the update. As Proxus said, it's likely a problem with your DVD drive. If the RNS-E is two years or more old, the lense may be dirty and won't accept even a brand new original DVD.
It does show 0550. I will try what Dave says anyway and then revert to cleaning the lens as previously suggested. It seems odd that it will only read one of the discs though don't you think? If it was a question of dirty lens, wouldn't all discs fail to work? :-k

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE!!!

Left the disc in overnight, started my car up to scrape the ice off the windows this morning and when I got in, Hey Presto!!! Everthing was working!!

It was -6C this morning so is this a classic case of the famous 'discs only work when they are cold' scenario?

It stayed working (including TMC) on my whole 25 mile journey to work.

It has baffled me!!! :-k

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
brucelubbers said:
one strange thing though, the voice guidance is coming from the near side rear door speaker....?
I think this happens because the value in adaptation channel 136 to control which speakers the navigation voice is routed to used to be:

00005 - Left steering wheel (USA)
00013 - Right steering wheel (USA)
02632 - Right steering wheel (Europe)
03226 - Left steering wheel (Europe)

But with the newer firmware only these values can be stored:

00005 - Left steering wheel (USA/Europe)
00013 - Right steering wheel (USA/Europe)

Try checking/changing the value in channel 136, for you it should be 13 instead of 2632.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: UPDATE!!!

brucelubbers said:
Left the disc in overnight, started my car up to scrape the ice off the windows this morning and when I got in, Hey Presto!!! Everthing was working!!

It was -6C this morning so is this a classic case of the famous 'discs only work when they are cold' scenario?

It stayed working (including TMC) on my whole 25 mile journey to work.

It has baffled me!!! :-k
Stopped working on my drive home from work though......!!!

Bought a different DVD cleaning disc and it now works fine!! Phew!

Thanks for your help guys. It is much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts