Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long time member over on the Phathack forum and these guys have done a lot for the Phatbox and Kenwood keg. I bet a few of them are willing to get something working on trying to get Phatnoise to release the firmware for our head units so that we could get ID tags on our nav screens.

Here's what judb has said about this topic.

The phatbox does have the capability to send data to the head unit, its built into the wiring of the cables etc... but the trick is does the firmware support it?

Kenwood head units display text using any kind of phatbox as long as the kenwood firmware is loaded.. so all phatboxes have the hardware inside them.. its a question of software on the 8052 and the capabilities of the bus / protocol used between the 8052 and the head unit.

maybe someone can start a petition to phatnoise to release the firmware code and an SDK or something?

He was a major contributor to hacking the hard drive inside the phatbox to be able to change out the proprietary one they used.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
But unless the HU, in this case the RNS-E supports CD text (which it doesn't) your wasting your time.

Or am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
craigyb said:
But unless the HU, in this case the RNS-E supports CD text (which it doesn't) your wasting your time.

Or am I missing something here?
No, I don't think you are. The phatbox connects to the Audi headunit using the Audi CD changer interface - which doesn't support CD text - so making the phatbox support CD text is of no use in an Audi.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm talking about is having either a program written on the Phatbox to send out the CAN signals to the head unit or just take the signals that are already there and route them into a CAN simulator box like bjbarne's.

But before we can do this we'll need to get Phatnoise to release the firmware code or and SDK.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Where would you send your CAN messages to? In no mode (CD/MP/TV/FM/AM) except SAT the RNS-E expects any message over CAN, and won't listen to whatever you send. In theory you could hack the two way communication between the RNS-E and SAT receiver and replace the SAT receiver with a custom device. But even in this case you are limited to the look and feel of the current SAT interface.

The only other way to get an external device integrated into the RNS-E user interface is to change the software on the RNS-E and add another option, for example under CD/SD a 4th option AUX or so. And then have an external device communicate with the RNS-E over CAN while being connected to the AUF NF pins in the 32pin connector.

The hardware is there, what we are missing is the software on the RNS-E that would support such a device. Once it gets released by Audi (keywork Audi Music Interface AMI for the RNS-E), the protocol can be hacked and used for any other device.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
That's what I like to here, the voice of reason and understanding...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.