Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First of all thanks for this great resource!

I'm thinking of buying a 2007 A3 and would like to get the DVD-Nav built in for obvious reasons. My question is does the system allow you to watch DVD video's while driving or does it block them unless the car is in park? I hate systems that won't allow the passenger to watch the DVD from the front seat. If "factory installed" it does not allow you to watch DVD's and drive, is there a work around for "fooling" the system such as grounding? Any info would be appreciated, would like to know before I buy the system.

Also can the system be wired to headrest rear seat DVD screens also?

Thank you for any information!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
You can't do it unless you remove this lock. Normally NAV is blocking video signal if your speed is greater than 5mph so you can use rear view cam but not video while driving.

I offer services to remove this blockade and unlock your unit at any speed.
If you are local you can stop by and I can do it on the spot. If you are not..you can ship your unit to me and I will do it.

There is no other way around this.

this is link with more info:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3446

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Proxus thanks for the reply

I was looking through your packages and all. Question I have is if I get the factory dvd based navigation system option when I buy the car, am I going to be able to watch regular store bought DVD's with that system? Assuming I send it to you for the unlocking so the video will play while driving.

Not sure which route to take but as long as the car will play regular DVDs while driving that would be great

·
Registered
515 Posts
video in motion can be unlocked on any RNS-E, factory installed or retrofitted..

but you will need an external DVD player and an multimedia interface as the internal DVD drive is only for CDs and the NAV DVD..

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Pretty much yes...

Or you can get only Multimedia Interface box for $199 and connect any other video source (ipod video or your own DVD player)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The reason it is locked from the factory is because it is illegal to have a video screen that the driver can see while in motion. Whether or not we all think we are good enough drivers that the law does not apply to us, I think we all agree that we don't want the drive next to us on the freeway watching American Idol on the way home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course not, but it does seem a bit silly the navigation/map screen can run and give directions but not a dvd or TV?

Like I'd said previous I'd want it available in the front seat when driving for the passenger seat as they'd like to watch. Any intelligent driver would not watch if they are driving and just listen regardless of if the DVD video is showing or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.