Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I've helped lots of you get your RNS-E systems. I am looking to build a photo gallery of finished installations, if you have before and after pictures all the better. I really don't care where the system was purchased from , I am just joping to build a photo gallery of A3, A4 and A6 units installed in their new homes. Also as has been noted below there are some A2 and A8 installations and I know a few of you have custom installed the unit in an R32, Seat Leon and Passat from what I hear, so lets get those pictures posted too/

Please feel free to post the pictures or to email them to me at

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!

Steve

PS If you want to send pictures of your rides to please also feel free to send them.

Steve

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Good idea. Especially pictures showing A3 8L, A4 B5, A6 C5 pre-facelift, A8 D2 installs would be very useful to those not yet ready for the upgrade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
before, single din

after, double din

just as a side note, i shaved my climate control instead of buying a new one... u can notice my climate control in the double din picture still has the metal strip above the ash tray....

hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Good idea. Especially pictures showing A3 8L, A4 B5, A6 C5 pre-facelift, A8 D2 installs would be very useful to those not yet ready for the upgrade.
I did the A8 D2 RNS-E Modification last week but when I asked for help on this forum I got "0" responses :roll:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Gstrein said:
I did the A8 D2 RNS-E Modification last week but when I asked for help on this forum I got "0" responses :roll:
Maybe because there are not that many people out here who did the A8 D2 retrofit and your questions where pretty model specific. It would still be nice of you if you would post some pictures.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I did not have any specific A8 info. But how about some pictures. Now we all have a chance to benefit from your learning experience.

Steve

AudiA4B6US said:
Gstrein said:
Maybe because there are not that many people out here who did the A8 D2 retrofit and your questions where pretty model specific. It would still be nice of you if you would post some pictures.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice job, thanks for the tip on the climate control shaving, great way to save some dollars and still end up with an OEM looking install.

Steve
batmiterns said:
before, single din

after, double din

just as a side note, i shaved my climate control instead of buying a new one... u can notice my climate control in the double din picture still has the metal strip above the ash tray....

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
A couple of A8 D2 installations that I have done...

Some A2's that I have done...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Craig,

Very nice, for the benefit of others, can you post which RNS-E you used for the A8 and A2 installations.

Excellent work and thank you for all your contributions to this message board and community.

Steve

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
All A6 units cut down to fit.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
An A4 unit cut to fit an A3 (2003 model) and a chrome strip added to close the 2mm gap at the top. Coded for an A6.

A4 concert II to RNS-E, note the new ashtray to close the gap.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Conversion from concert II and BNS to RNS-E

Before....

After

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Steve, a bunch of your units can be found on my install website... I'll repost them below for your reference:

RS6

RS6 w/OEM TV and FUNK

Lamborghini w/Tiesto and Bluetooth

Allroad

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Lee and Craig :)

It is truly nice to see the quality of both of your installation skills.

I am going to try a retrofit into my W8 Passat, it will require reworking the entire center console, custom fabricating a new cage and locations for the switches, but after getting hooked on the RNS-E in my A6, it is just something I have to try.

Looks like I will use an A6 unit as it seems to be the most modifiable unit, although there was one poster here who used an A4 unit. The one person who did this in Germany who did this in his Passat did not have a Passat with Can-Bus and used an emulator.

Thanks all, keep those pictures coming.

Steve

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Based on what has been posted so far, there is no technical difference between the various RNS-E models. So if the A4 or A3 unit fits, it can be coded as an A6 unit to get speed over the v wire. I have talked to at least two guys who had the A4 unit in their A8 D2 and A2. If you really shave it down to true double DIN (not the Audi wide double DIN), using an A4 or A3 unit might be less expensive as supplies are better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks I will probably go that route, just sort the nicest/best value unit I can find, and then start the shaving..

AudiA4B6US said:
Based on what has been posted so far, there is no technical difference between the various RNS-E models. So if the A4 or A3 unit fits, it can be coded as an A6 unit to get speed over the v wire. I have talked to at least two guys who had the A4 unit in their A8 D2 and A2. If you really shave it down to true double DIN (not the Audi wide double DIN), using an A4 or A3 unit might be less expensive as supplies are better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts