Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One month ago I find this magnificent website, and start to read all the stuff about RNS-E.

So this is my story:
In January 2005 I bought a A4-B7, with a Concert II radio, non bose.
In February 2005, I make a conversion from one din to double din, by my self
(€50, double din frame from –E-bay)
And put the climate control in the lower position (a lot of work when you to that for the first time).
Buy a RNS-E for €1399,= with 1 year guarantee, in Holland, and they make the work of cables.
After 3 weeks the LCD won’t open any more, I get a brand new RNS-E unit , because of the guarantee. (HW= H44 + SW = 0080)

First question:
By both RNS-E units in my car, I have to put the FADER button on 3 a clock to get a good volume from the rear speakers.
With the Concert II the FADER button was normal in the middle to get good volume from the rear speakers.

Any body now a solution, or is this normal ?

Peet

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi. If you have soft coded the RNS-E for the correct sound characteristics for your Audi and the Bose enable wire is not connected in the 'plug and play' harness and you are happy with the way it sounds to you then I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
half_a_florin said:
Hi. If you have soft coded the RNS-E for the correct sound characteristics for your Audi and the Bose enable wire is not connected in the 'plug and play' harness and you are happy with the way it sounds to you then I would not worry about it.
Last week my A4-B7 was by the Audi dealer, for the first longlife 2 years or 30.000km service. I ask them to check some things.

New coding for Red DIS was successful, change value 17 to 21.
STG 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+02 - Telefon
+04 - Navigation
+08 - Telematics
+16 - Instrument Cluster
To add navigation, add +4 to the current value.
My car has radio+navigation+Intrument Cluster 1+4+16=21

In engineering mode:/General/Coding/ I found that the sound characteristics are code for A6 !! I have to change that to A4.
0xx2xxx: Sound characteristics
0 - linear
1 - Audi A4 (> 2004)
2 - Audi A6 (< 2004)
3 - Audi A4 Cabriolet (> 2004)
4 - Audi TT (> 2004)
5 - Audi A3 (8P)
9 - Bose Soundsystem

I ask them to also to check the sound characteristics; we get no access to the RNS-E on 37 and 56.
First the try it with a big service computer, 2nd with a laptop with VAGcom installed.
The don’t know what to do ?????

I check the forum by searching; probably the K-LINE is not connected.
Where can I found the K-LINE wire ?

Peet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The K-Line is in B5 on the RNS-E's quadlock connector.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The K-Line is in B5 on the RNS-E's quadlock connector.
OK, that’s where I have to check it, one the RNS-E side, I will check.

If there is no wire, where can I find a K-LINE ?
Its retrofit from Concert II to RNS-E, I believe not with adapter, but they have make, new direct connections.

Peet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The old 8 pin Connector III coming from the car had one pin labeled K, that's your K line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
The old 8 pin Connector III coming from the car had one pin labeled K, that's your K line.
Dirk,
This one you mean, correct

K-LINE concert II site

Peet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Correct, that's connector III. Check the label on the old Concert to see the exact pinout.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Color K-LINE wire

Today I get my 4 removal key tools, so I hope, I can find the K-LINE.
Pictures from the back

RNS-E's quadlock connector, Total are 13 wires connected.
You can see the K-LINE is missing

2 years ago they make the retrofit from CONCERT II to RNS- E connection without adapter.

Pictures from the Car side
There are 3 wires groups, and 1 wire apart that’s the V-signal

1st Group 6 wires

Probeby the 4 wires from the front speakers
And 2 moore ??? Line Out RL and RR ???

2nd Group 7 wires

Smaller wires, CAN ????

3rd Group 2 wires connected, 1 wire not

I think the Constant 12 V, red/blue color
Primary ground connection, brown color

The wire who is not connected, green/blue color,
Is that the K-LINE wire or the DWA wire ?????

Have somebody a description with color is used, in the A4-B7 concert II radio January 2005.

Peet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In my B6 wiring plan the K line is green/blue like the one in your last picture.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I connect that green/blue wire, with B5, is there a chance that something is going wrong ?
Can I first check something with a multimeter instrument ?
A value of Volts or Ohm or Ampere ?

Peet

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This line should go straight to pin T16/15 in the OBD plug. You should be able to mesure a short (0 ohm) between this end of the wire and OBD T16/15.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
This line should go straight to pin T16/15 in the OBD plug. You should be able to mesure a short (0 ohm) between this end of the wire and OBD T16/15.

I will check it, witch one is the K-Line.

Peet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This weekend I did the measuring (ohm).
I can confirm that pin 15 from the OBD plug and the green/blue wire gives a value of zero ohm. It is the K-LINE.

So I go for a pin repair wire, to connect the green/blue wire with B5 from the RNS-E

Peet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tire circula is 9815 mm

I connected yesterday morning the repair wire: 000 979 021 to B6 and the green/blue wire.

Buy the repair wire for € 1,70 from the Audi dealer, she is 60 cm long and one both sides pins

Yesterday afternoon, I was with the Audi dealer and we recoding the RNS-E, so the K-LINE is working, thanks to ‘’’’DIRK’’’’, coding is now 0301115.

The sound from the rear speakers are OK now, sound characteristics from A6 change to A4 thanks to’’’’ half_a_florin’’’’ we also change the boot screen in S4
And check fault codes, only one about the diversity antenna, that’s right because he is not connected.

BUT,
I have a new strange problem.
We not recode the tire circula, first I have 1964 mm 235/40-18 we see that also in the VAGcom 1964 mm.

But in engineering mode the value is from a Airbus 380 or Boeing 747 - 9815 mm.
After 20 km of driving the nav is OK, because of the self learning.
Any one know what to do, how is it possibly that the tire circula is 9815 mm in engineering mode but in VAGcom 1964 mm

Peet

Put this NEW Q in the right topic: http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27249#27249

PS The recoding was for the second time for free, i have the recoding doc from this website and the guy from Audi learnt a lot of the documents.
They even know nothing about the engineering mode. So they are happy now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.