Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just finished the retroffiting of an A6 RNSE in my A4 B5 RS4 (all EU, I live in France).

I do have a problem. After driving approx 20 minutes, the volume stays on and fully blocked : turning the volume button doesn't provide any effect.

Any ideas where to look for?

Thanks for your help.

Stephane

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Try to reset the RNS-E (hold RADIO and SETUP until it reboots) and see if that makes any difference. What software is installed on your RNS-E?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Volume blocked on my new RNSE after retrofit on A4 B5 RS

lastpagox said:
Just finished the retroffiting of an A6 RNSE in my A4 B5 RS4 (all EU, I live in France).

I do have a problem. After driving approx 20 minutes, the volume stays on and fully blocked : turning the volume button doesn't provide any effect.

Any ideas where to look for?
When you say full blocked what exactly do you mean? Muted - no volume?, or stays at the same volume and can't be changed?, or something else?

If muted - does a crossed out speaker symbol appear on the bottom line of the display? If this is what happens, then you probably have a long unconnected piece of wire on the phone mute input which needs cutting off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks guys for your answers and support.

To clarify, my firmware version is 330. I have ordered the 2007 DVD and will update to 550 as soon as I receive it.

The volume stays blocked at the same level after approx 10 to 20 minutes of use. Neverthless, I have not an accurate idea of the time as I just installed the RNSE last week end, but it happens after a few miles of driving.

I wonder if the harness is correctly wired. I corrected several wrong wirings according to the NSXJR data sheet but it seems that some pins were empty and in my basic opinion they shouldn't.

I had a look to kufatec as it seems to be the most "reliable" supplier but wonder wich one is the correct one to order to fit my RNSE (4B0) in an A4 B5 RS4...any advice is welcomed.

Sincerely

Stephane

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
This sounds more like a problem with the electronics when they warm up. You would need to open the RNS-E and check if the ribbon cable from the front plate is properly seated. If that's not the cause for the issue and if it's not the software, the it might be more serious.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
This sounds more like a problem with the electronics when they warm up.
Agreed, sounds like a faulty RNS-E.

Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bought on ebay...so easy....it seems I made a mistake....

will have to buy another one, but the cost of learning (first experience on ebay) is quite expensive....!

Thanks for your support.

Stephane

·
Registered
258 Posts
does the volume control on the steering wheel work when it is stuck on the unit? (maybe its just the volume control on the rns that is faulty)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't sound control on my steering wheel. But strangely, this morning, I have done a "set to fatory defaults" in the navigation menu and during all my drive this morning (approx 1 hour) volume was ok (I mean turning it up and dow was ok).

I wonder if maybe there could be any conflict with my bose system (if my harness is not correct) or if this is a casual defect wich means a chnage of unit.

stephane

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
lastpagox said:
I wonder if maybe there could be any conflict with my bose system (if my harness is not correct)
Don't know of any mechanism by which this can happen.

lastpagox said:
or if this is a casual defect wich means a change of unit.
Now it seems to be working OK after a factory default reset give it a chance. If after a few days it's still OK then it's possible that some kind of software lock up could have taken place which the factory default reset has solved?

Remember the RNS-E is pretty complex processor system, and we all know how often PC's lock up!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem turned back, but yesterday morning I updated to 550 and problem has disappeared. At least, I hope it will be the same in the future...

Thanks

Stephane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.