Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an RNS-E with Bluetooth installed in my 2002 S6.
Ben Cover in Mission Viejo did amazing job (thanks).
Has anyone used something like cangate to initialte voice dial
with RNS and Bluetooth ?
Although I rarely use the paddle shifters, the cost to convert
(mostly airbag) is prohibitive

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
badger said:
I recently had an RNS-E with Bluetooth installed in my 2002 S6.
Ben Cover in Mission Viejo did amazing job (thanks).
with RNS and Bluetooth ?
Although I rarely use the paddle shifters, the cost to convert
(mostly airbag) is prohibitive
I've got a CANGate to try, but it's been sitting in my study these last few months while the weather has been cold and wet.

Will probably turn into a Spring project!

·
Registered
517 Posts
PetrolDave said:
I've got a CANGate to try, but it's been sitting in my study these last few months while the weather has been cold and wet.

Will probably turn into a Spring project!
I was wondering how you were coming along with that, since I had not heard anything :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping for a button / switch somewhere
which after being pressed allows voice dialing.

on a separate note, is nav unit capable of accepting
voice commands ?

BTW, since I dis not want satellite radio I am using the GPS whip
and AM and FM work great. Kudos to Ben Cover (again)

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is a standard option for my CANGate. I have a switch from NSXJR to the right of the ESP switch, and that can be used to:
Initiate BT voice commands
Answer incoming calls
Terminate a call

What Dave is going to test (when the weather gets better :D ) is to use it for voice commands for the RNS-E itself. He of course has an SDS enabled RNS-E.

Bjarne

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
badger said:
on a separate note, is nav unit capable of accepting
voice commands ?
The SDS capable versions ONLY, like the 8E0 035 192 H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, guys

this sounds like what I want.
Bjarne, how do I obtain cangate ?
how hard is it to install ?
how expensive ?

regarding voice enabled RNS, is that number a model
or a firmware revision and how do I determine what I have ?

also, I know this sounds wierd but,
could the paddle shifter buttons be used as the switch ?
since I only use the paddle shifters in the mountains
it would be a nice option to have a switch which to
toggle the shifter's buttons functions between cangate and shifting.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
badger said:
regarding voice enabled RNS, is that number a model
or a firmware revision and how do I determine what I have ?
It's a model of an EU version - there are NO confirmed US versions that are SDS capable.

There are two ways to tell what model you have:

1) using VAG-COM (100% guaranteed)

2) slide the RNS-E out and look at the label on top (note that some units bought off eBay have different internal electronics to the label on the case, so this method is NOT 100% guaranteed).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Simplest way is to go into the Volume Settings, if you have a "Speech Dialogue" volume setting then your unit is SDS.

badger said:
under car info
it says H58
is that SDS capable ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alas, all I get is the navigation volume option
I will get over it.
after I get the cangate installed I will post my results for any who care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the difference for SDS firmware only ?
and if so, can my RNS-E be modded
is it possible that if I hook up cangate to emulate the MFST and attach an
additional microphone to the RNS, that it might work ?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
badger said:
is the difference for SDS firmware only ?
and if so, can my RNS-E be modded
You're asking the same questions that have been asked by many people before on here, and answered many times here too!

No it's NOT firmware only.

And, no, there is no way (that we know of) to modify an RNS-E to add SDS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
with RNS and Bluetooth ?
I have non-SDS RNS-E and am using CANGATE to initiate voice dial in my B6 S4. I've been using it for several months now. Bjarne was a great help in setting this up. I am using a small momentary black switch (purchased from Radio Shack) that I installed near the cigarette lighter next to the e-brake. I think it blends in perfectly. You don't need SDS RNS-E for BT voice control, it's built in to the BT module. You connect the mic directly to the BT module. (I'm not sure if earlier modules have it built in, but definitely later versions - I've tried G and if I remember correctly, the European F version).

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
FastS4 said:
[You don't need SDS RNS-E for BT voice control, it's built in to the BT module.
Absolutely 100% correct.

It's important to understand the difference between:

1) Voice control of BT - this is an integral feature of BT modules, when correctly coded and you press the PTT switch you activate BT voice control. BT microphone connects directly to BT module.

2) SDS (= voice control of RNS-E) - this is only in specific RNS-E versions and gives voice control not only of BT but also many (not all) RNS-E functions when you press the PTT switch. BT microphone connects to RNS-E and RNS-E mic outputs connect to BT module.

Glad to hear that CANGate makes BT voice control work for you, that means it's 99% likely to work with my SDS RNS-E.

·
Registered
16 Posts
PetrolDave said:
2) SDS (= voice control of RNS-E) - this is only in specific RNS-E versions and gives voice control not only of BT but also many (not all) RNS-E functions when you press the PTT switch. BT microphone connects to RNS-E and RNS-E mic outputs connect to BT module.

Glad to hear that CANGate makes BT voice control work for you, that means it's 99% likely to work with my SDS RNS-E.
Am I correct in understanding that you have a "SDS" RNS-E without MFSW and will attempt to use CANGate as PTT switch (as I am doing for only BT voice) to access full SDS functionality? If so, that's good to hear.

I've been thinking about doing this - replacing my non-SDS RNS-E with a SDS RNS-E and rewiring the mic to the RNS-E and using my CANGate PTT switch. I just am not sure how much SDS functionality I will be able to access without the other switches on the MFSW. I like my S4 steering wheel, the only wheel I would consider changing to is the RS4 wheel which I'm not sure how it will work with SDS.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
FastS4 said:
Am I correct in understanding that you have a "SDS" RNS-E without MFSW and will attempt to use CANGate as PTT switch (as I am doing for only BT voice) to access full SDS functionality? If so, that's good to hear.
Yes, that's exactly right.

FastS4 said:
I've been thinking about doing this - replacing my non-SDS RNS-E with a SDS RNS-E and rewiring the mic to the RNS-E and using my CANGate PTT switch. I just am not sure how much SDS functionality I will be able to access without the other switches on the MFSW. I like my S4 steering wheel, the only wheel I would consider changing to is the RS4 wheel which I'm not sure how it will work with SDS.
SDS only uses the PTT switch, so not having the other MFSW switches won't affect the working of SDS.

I've got an RS4 with the RS4 wheel and it DOESN'T have a PTT switch - so there's no point in changing to the RS4 wheel because it isn't an MFSW.

The 4 buttons on the RS4 wheel are:
1) Sport mode.
2) SET - which behaves like the RESET switch on the bottom of the wiper stalk.
3) + - which behaves exactly like the + button on the end of the wiper stalk.
4) - - which behaves exactly like the - button on the end of the wiper stalk.

RS4's with the RS4 wheel have the version of the wiper stalk without the trip computer buttons, because those functions are on the RS4 wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
PetrolDave said:
FastS4 said:
Yes, that's exactly right.
Great!! Please post your results when you're finished, I'll be watching.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts