Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, anyone with the new style MFSW try this out. I have confirmed that this does not work with the older style 4-spoke MFSW because we have one button for "voice" and "call" combined. Therefore, on the old steering wheel, we don't have a true voice button while scrolling the contacts on the DIS (since our voice button becomes a call button in this case).

This procedure is supposed to allow you to add a voice tag to contacts downloaded from your phone instead of having to store separate voice tags in your bluetooth module's phone book.

This may not work with older bluetooth modules.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Will try that when I leave my office in a bit.

I'll post the result later today...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Works fine. It's a standard function of the B7 Bluetooth module. I've been using it since I got my car a year ago. The only interesting thing here is that they finally fixed the instruction to say "Store" instead of the wrong "Store Name" in the older manuals.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, I tried that yesterday and it works.

Strange thing is that when you store a name using the bluetooth module commands there is no arrow next to the name in the DIS.

If you store a name using the MFSW buttons, it does.

If you want to store a name using the MFSW buttons when the bluetooth module has stored that name, it says so, but there is no arrow next to the name.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the B or C version Bluetooth module (cant remember i will check later with VAGCOM) it works perfectly thanks NSXJR get an arrow next to the name that i have stored on the DIS but it points the other way to the picture in the manual but not bothered :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
bjarne said:
Has anyone in the US tried this, and got it to work. Is so, what BT version do you have?
I'm in Canada, which uses the same BT module as US.

·
Registered
517 Posts
MoroIsAnOrange said:
Great!
Which BT module version do you have? And you are really tagging entries downloaded from your phone's directory, not just the local BT memory?

This would really be a nice feature to get working.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bjarne, if you could isolate the "voice" CANbus command for use with the CANGate that would be helpful to all of us with the old steering wheel. Maybe I would have a use for my dash switches again.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you have the CANGate and a serial cable you can try it yourselves:

5C3 2 3C 2A (Phone/Voice?)
5C3 2 3A 1C (Mode)

These were taken from a B7 with MFSW. If I have time over the weekened I may give it a try as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
NSX JR said:
Bjarne, if you could isolate the "voice" CANbus command for use with the CANGate that would be helpful to all of us with the old steering wheel. Maybe I would have a use for my dash switches again.
Yes, that is what I want to do using the messages Dirk mentions above, or maybe some others. But I was trying to find out if this is supposed to work with BT module G, which is what I have. If not, I am flying somewhat blind :cry:

·
Registered
74 Posts
bjarne said:
MoroIsAnOrange said:
Great!
Which BT module version do you have? And you are really tagging entries downloaded from your phone's directory, not just the local BT memory?

This would really be a nice feature to get working.
Not sure what version I have. My car came with BT & it's a 06 A4. How do I check the version without ripping my car apart?

And yes, I'm adding the voice tags to the entries downloaded from my phone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, first try did not work, as I expected :(

I programmed my momentary switch to send the mode message, and I already have the voice message from the MFSW. I tried it on my way in this morning, and the mode command does not 'take'.

I am not surprised, since the mode change R/T also changes the data in the repetitive MFSW 'beat', which tells the BT and other modules, what mode it is in. I suspect something similar is the case for the 'Mode" command.

I will have to get hold a log of this sequence from a working setup to figure it out.

I also still have no idea, if this is supposed to work on a G version BT module :(

·
Registered
517 Posts
MoroIsAnOrange said:
Not sure what version I have. My car came with BT & it's a 06 A4. How do I check the version without ripping my car apart?

And yes, I'm adding the voice tags to the entries downloaded from my phone.
If you have VAG-COM, you will see it when you connect to the BT module (#77). It would be great if you can check.

·
Registered
74 Posts
bjarne said:
If you have VAG-COM, you will see it when you connect to the BT module (#77). It would be great if you can check.
Unfortunately I only have the eBay KKL cable. It doesn't talk to module 77.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bjarne, you need to program your momentary switch for the "voice' button. We already have a "MODE" button on our MFSW, it is the same as the R/T button.

Our problem is that we don't have a dedicated voice button. Since our voice button is shared with our "call" button this creates a conflict for us. This is because our button only operates as voice when the DIS is in radio mode, and operates as the call button when in telephone mode. Therefore, we have no way of pressing "voice" when the contact is displayed in the DIS.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lee, I see, but the 'problem' is that our voice button emits the same code, whether it is used for call or voice, but it is interpreted differently depending on what 'mode' the BT module is in.

I am probably not going to get much further until I can see a log from a B7 going through one of these sequences. Meanwhile, I am going to experiment, you never know....

The one thing is, that I am not even sure if my BT module version G can do this, according to your original post.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the G version may work since some users here have posted that it works with their cars which came with bluetooth over a year ago. Since the J version is only about 6 months old, they would have to have a G or even a B version installed.

I understand now what you are saying about our steering wheel commands. We do need to find that CAN command from the B7 steering wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Voice tags now work on C5 A6 (Allroad) w/ "J" unit

Thanks Lee! Your post for, "Voice tags for phone's contacts!" works great on my '02 Allroad. I hit the R/T button (lower left) on the MFSW. I then scrolled (middle and upper left side buttons) to a contact on the DIS. I pressed and HELD the phone icon button (lower right) until I heard the tone. After saying store quite a few times, Viola! It works. I'm not sure why it took so many attempts to get the first one to store from the DIS directory.

I'm using the TREO 650 from Cingular. As everyone has found out, Cingular's Treo's Contacts do not show up in the RNS-e Phonebook. I discovered that the RNS-e will upload contacts from the "favorite’s page". There are five pages of favorites (contacts) available. Each favorite’s page has 14 spaces to add a contact totaling 60 unloadable contacts. They do not alphabetize automatically. The RNS-e Phonebook contacts will appear in the order you enter them on your Treo’s favorites pages.

There is an option on the Treo's Favorite page for a quick key short cut. Don’t use it. If you do, that character will show up after the title in the RNS-e Phonebook. (i.e.: Disneyland5 or DisneylandK).

My car originally came with the Symphony II radio and Premium package so the MFSW was already in the car. Proxus supplied the RNS-e, Teddybgame created the harness for the XM radio, Phatnoise, ME3, Dietz 1417 and BT. BBC did the frick’n incredible install and seamless installation of the whole thing while adding a shark fin diversity antenna from a ’05 Allroad. He just updated the unit to the ’07 US software so the “nag†screen is gone. I love the 3D view of the maps and the mute feature. I did notice that there is now a “nag†screen that appeared while dialing a number through the RNS-e. This occurred only when dialing manually through the unit.

I love this forum!!

Michael '02 6SP M Allroad
Wish I could find a Grey/Black 3rd row seat

1 - 20 of 31 Posts