Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the RNS-E supports voice recognition? Am about to do a retrofit on my 2006 A3 3.2S and was wondering whether I could talk to the unit and tell it to switch to radio, nav, entering addresses, switching to the next MP3 on your SD mode, etc. I do NOT have the BT kit, is this something I would need to support this?

I read something about SDS but not sure if this is only in the A4 RNS-E "Rev J" kits, nor if it is only something that is supported by that revision/A4 unit only or whether this was something that has been in the RNS-Es for a while.

If anyone knows, please reply!

Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
SDS is only available, if I'm not mistaken, on the A6 and A8. The A3 RNS is controlled from the front panel and via the steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Read this thread http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3218

At the moment we don't know for sure if the US J unit supports SDS but the functionality is just missing in the US 0110 SW, but we do know the EU H unit does when used with EU SW 0460 (maybe with 0330 or 0360 too).

·
Registered
48 Posts
RNS-E Vioce control

This unit, J, does indeed support voice control, but it requires the use of another module to control it. If you have the roller multifunction steering wheel, a J unit, and are interested; I can put together a kit for the voice control system for your car. contact me at [email protected]. I will look into the A3 unit which supports this feature as well and post the part # soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: RNS-E Vioce control

BBC!! said:
This unit, J, does indeed support voice control, but it requires the use of another module to control it. If you have the roller multifunction steering wheel, a J unit, and are interested; I can put together a kit for the voice control system for your car. contact me at [email protected]. I will look into the A3 unit which supports this feature as well and post the part # soon.
That's cool.......

Do you know if the same i true for RNS-E for A4-B7 (8E0 035 192 D)?
Someone claims to have got SDS menu even for that unit.

Rob

·
Registered
117 Posts

BBC!! said:
How about the RNS-E 'A' unit (Europe) for an A3 (2006)?

Is it possible to have SDS there?

·
Registered
189 Posts

Glider said:
BBC!! said:
That's cool.......

Do you know if the same i true for RNS-E for A4-B7 (8E0 035 192 D)?
Someone claims to have got SDS menu even for that unit.

Rob
I just bought and installed a US RNS-E in to my 06A4B7 and the voice rec works fine right out of the box. I don't have my model nu,ber off harnd, but I know it's a new model for 2006. and it is a NA unit.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

Ponch said:
I just bought and installed a US RNS-E in to my 06A4B7 and the voice rec works fine right out of the box. I don't have my model nu,ber off harnd, but I know it's a new model for 2006. and it is a NA unit.
You can control the telephone interface but you can't control the navigation or radio using voice, can you?

·
Registered
189 Posts

AudiA4B6US said:
Ponch said:
You can control the telephone interface but you can't control the navigation or radio using voice, can you?
That's correct. I can press the voice button on my MFSW and speak telephone commmands. I can't do anything else not dealing with the telephone options. Would be cool to change the radio stations of add a place to navigate to, but alas, it can not. Also, I can save voice telephone numbers, but they do not get added to my phone book (visual). I can add voice notes to any manualy added phone book entry as well.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

Ponch said:
AudiA4B6US said:
Ponch said:
That's correct. I can press the voice button on my MFSW and speak telephone commmands. I can't do anything else not dealing with the telephone options. Would be cool to change the radio stations of add a place to navigate to, but alas, it can not. Also, I can save voice telephone numbers, but they do not get added to my phone book (visual). I can add voice notes to any manualy added phone book entry as well.
That's the voice commands of the PHONE module then, NOT the voice commands of the RNS-E.

With an SDS capable RNS-E you can control most (not all, e.g. you can't select the SD card as audio source by voice) of the RNS-E operations including, of course, the extended phone operations.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Guys do you know if this is fitted as standard to vehicles with RNS-E if so how can you use not found anywhere on my vehicle. B7 S4 Cab with RNS-E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So has anyone found or posted the info for what's needed to get the SDS to work on a NA unit? I'm looking to add nav to my car in the next few weeks but if I can get SDS too then I’ll take it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

ashleyadam said:
Guys do you know if this is fitted as standard to vehicles with RNS-E if so how can you use not found anywhere on my vehicle. B7 S4 Cab with RNS-E.
SDS is NOT standard,you only get it with the H unit - which is a Euro unit.

There is no support for SDS in either US hardware or software.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
xtorted said:
So has anyone found or posted the info for what's needed to get the SDS to work on a NA unit? I'm looking to add nav to my car in the next few weeks but if I can get SDS too then I’ll take it.
Neither US hardware nor software support SDS.

All you can control by voice is the Bluetooth module (if you have an MFSW).

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

I installed a D unit the other day and it had full SDS

Go figure...

PetrolDave said:
ashleyadam said:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Voice recognition RNS-E A3

I have just bought an A3 with RNS-E in Europe. It has full voice recognition on 'phone, navi,radio.....

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Voice recognition RNS-E A3

eiskurve said:
I have just bought an A3 with RNS-E in Europe. It has full voice recognition on 'phone, navi,radio.....
What's the FULL part number (including suffix) of your RNS-E?

It should be 8P0 035 192 followed by a letter, the letter is the important part.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

craigyb said:
I installed a D unit the other day and it had full SDS

Go figure...

PetrolDave said:
ashleyadam said:

Weird! That's the first D unit that has had SDS. What SW is it running - 0500?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Actually SW 360, suprised me....

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
So - we have to revise our theories about which units support SDS then.

Are all D units SDS capable - with the right SW?

Or is there an internal SDS upgrade (more memory, extra plug-in card, WHY?) which is standard in an H unit, and fitted to this D unit, and to eiskurve's A3 unit?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.