Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure why the change suddently, everything was great after the initial install and callers on the other end of the conversation couldn't even tell I was on a hands-free.

Now, for the last couple days...I have people telling me they can bearly hear me, that my voice is cracking, and that I sound like I'm at the end of a tunnel (echo sounding).

Any suggestions? I know there are some setting, like microphone sensitivity and something with an echo delay...I guess I can try to mess with those.

I just don't get why the change.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little bit of an update...

I havn't had a change to mess with any of the sensitivity setting yet, but something is giving me new hope that it might make a difference.

I did a few tests talking from the normal sitting position and then a few tests talking about 2" from the microphone.

Normal sitting position gives the muffled sound, breaking up of the voice, and a lot of variation in tone and volume of my voice.

Talking 2" from the microphone sounds perfect. My voice is clear and it does not break up.

I'll keep you guys updated on what happens when I turn up the microphone sensitivity.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've always had this problem with people hearing me. They sound fine to me thru the stereo, but they tell me that they can barely hear me and I sound like I'm in a tunnel and it echoes.

I've pretty much quit using the OEM BT in the car because of this. I really need to fiqure this out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What phone are you using? The phone itself might affect how people here you.

I messed with the sensitivity settings and it did seam to help a little but it's still not as good as it could be.
I'm in the process of trying out a different microphone and seeing if that fixes things...since like I said, if I talk 2" from the microphone, it sounds perfect.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm using the Motorola Razr V3 phone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, interesting. I thought maybe you were using some phone that no one else really was...but quite a few people have tried the RAZR out and didnt' report any problems.

I should have a new microphone installed in a couple days, I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd like to try a new microphone. The microphone that I'm using came out of my 2000 B5 S4. I took it out and put it in the 2005 B6 S4. It was a direct fit and everything. I've been thinking that the newer mic's might produce a better sound.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success!

I installed a new microphone today and from my tests so far, it sounds great. (Tests involve recording voice mail greetings thru the BT and playing them back to listen to the voice quality :p ).

If you are having trouble with voice quality, def. try out a new microphone.

Much thanks to NSX JR for helping me out with this! Great person to deal with!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm glad that worked, however I am skeptical. The reports I've been getting lead me to believe that sometimes the voice quality is great, and other times it sounds, as the people I am speaking with often say, like I am in a tunnel. I'm interested to hear if you continue to have positive results with the new microphone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Todd, it should not be like that. Mine sounds perfect all the time, everytime. Try replacing your mic, perhaps the B5 mic is just too old to work properly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
NSX JR said:
Todd, it should not be like that. Mine sounds perfect all the time, everytime. Try replacing your mic, perhaps the B5 mic is just too old to work properly.

I'm gonna get a new mic! Does anyone have a "NEW" one available and ready to ship it to me?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got a MIC from PROXUS, and I'm having this problem, but only while driving? Weird. We have to play with the mic a bit first

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi !

just did the same operation : changed my 2004 mic (original one) with a new 2007 mic !

Now people just hear me loud and clear, they even do not notice I am in my car :D

Thanks for the tip !

Jérôme

·
Registered
129 Posts
HX_Guy said:
I'm not sure why the change suddently, everything was great after the initial install and callers on the other end of the conversation couldn't even tell I was on a hands-free.

Now, for the last couple days...I have people telling me they can bearly hear me, that my voice is cracking, and that I sound like I'm at the end of a tunnel (echo sounding).

Any suggestions? I know there are some setting, like microphone sensitivity and something with an echo delay...I guess I can try to mess with those.

I just don't get why the change.
i got the exact same problem.... i guess i'll be buying a new mic....

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can buy one from one othe guys here. NSXJr, Proxus and TDIAvant, are the three i know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts