Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading my RNS-E manual (it was a nice sunny day here and it was the only thing I had to read while eating my lunch parked at a local viewpoint). It says that voice dialling can be activated either with an MFSW button or the button on the phone cradle.

This got me thinking (dangerous!) - if the button on the phone cradle connects directly back to the Bluetooth module then why couldn't those of us without an MFSW just put a switch in one of the blanks at the top of the centre console and connect that up to act like the switch on the cradle?

If the RNS-E is a genuine HIGH version (with SDS) then would voice contol of the RNS-E be possible via the same method - or does the RNS-E only look for a CAN message from the MFSW?

The key information I don't have is what are the connections between the cradle and the Bluetooth module? The wiring diagram I've got is unhelpful - it just shows 8 unlabelled wires going to pins 1, 6, 8, 11, 12, 18, 23 and 24.

Is this a crazy idea that's going nowhere? - or an idea that's worth looking at further?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I investigated this, the phone cradle (not UHI) contains a whole bunch of electronics and the switch is connected through this to the UHI in the car telephone module.

Craig

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd say you need the actual cradle, it won't be as easy as a simple momentary switch to activate the voice commands.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a cradle cheap off eBay, and investigate a bit more.

Maybe one way could be to repackage the cradle electronics, and only use it as a switch interface?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a cradle cheap off eBay, and investigate a bit more.

Maybe one way could be to repackage the cradle electronics, and only use it as a switch interface?
I think the cradle is only atcive if there is a phone plugged in !!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.