Audi Forum banner

VIM hack or how can I break my RNS-E?

199K views 386 replies 101 participants last post by  TCSRS 
#1 ·
Thanks to Klaus and Brobble I'm proud to announce that the RNS-E VIM unlock tool actually works very well and can be quite useful for many things. If you haven't done so I would recommend to spend some time reading the Nav Hacks topic at http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3056. You should also be familiar with creating an update CD, if not I would recommend to read the software update topic at http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4098&postorder=asc&start=35.

Since the tool can easily render your RNS-E useless I have to mention a couple of things before talking about the more interesting part.

If you cannot answer all of the following questions with yes, this topic is not for you and you should use one of the many offerings out there to get video in motion.
- I know what an RNS-E is.
- I have a computer and can create a single session ISO 9660 CD.
- I do have a VAG-COM and already changed the software coding and adaptation channels of the RNS-E.
- I’m not afraid to render my RNS-E useless making an expensive repair or replacement necessary.
- I do have access to the European 0080 software or the RNS-E DVD 8P0 919 884 B
- I’m familiar with creating an update CD to change the region of the RNS-E or downgrade/upgrade the RNS-E software without a map DVD
- I do not plan to sell update CDs that include the VIM hack and I do not plan to make money for unlocking VIM using the RNS-E mod tool
- I'm not using a RNS-E with SDS (SDS may get removed when loading the hacked software)

Since the software on the RNS-E is copyright as well as the map data, the tool does not include the software. For the same reason it is not possible to host an ISO with the modified files. What should be legal is to provide a software tool that allows you to modify certain files from the navigation DVD resulting in a custom update that unlocks video in motion.

As side effect of removing the lock bit and allow coding for video in motion, the software coding and most adaptation channels will change and will need to be reset. All stored navigation destinations, names and radio presets will get lost as well.

The process of creating the unlock update CD is the following:
- Write down the software coding, all adaption channel values, all navigation destinations, names and other personal data as stored in your RNS-E
- Take the five software update files from the European RNS-E DVD 8P0 919 884 B
- Start the RNS-E mod tool and read the help text, it contains some important information
- Modify loading.kwi using Klaus RNS-E mod tool
- Save the changes
- Create an update CD
- Load the update
- Load the current software
- Restore the software coding and adaptation channel values as well as navigation destinations, names and presets

The RNS-E mod tool and process works and has been confirmed by at least three people independent from each other. That’s as much as you get as guarantee that nothing will break. If you are still not scared and brave enough to give it a try, send me an email requesting the RNS-E mod tool that Klaus wrote. To confirm that you know what I’m talking about, include the file name of the mot file that is part of the Euro 0080 software. By requesting the RNS-E mod tool via email you also confirm that you take full responsibility for what happens with your RNS-E.

Thanks again to Klaus and Brobble for figuring out this stuff and making the tool available for free.

Have fun,
Dirk

Update: The VIM Hack and the SDS MOd tool can both be found on Klaus' home page at http://naviedit.de/.

See less See more
#52 ·
That's one reason why you should create the update CD yourselves, to many variables if you don't know what you are doing.

Right now, what is working and what isn't working? What is the navver shown in Engineering Mode? What is the version shown under CAR/version?

#53 ·
I figured out what happened but not why

Ok, Well, I found in engineering mode that the SW version was now X--- so somehow RNS-E was no longer US.

I also noticed in engineering mode that "Radio testmenu3" had all OFF values. I changed them all back to ON and switched "Gala Change = 0" and "Equalizing change" to 3 and 1 respectively. After adjusting there was still no audio.

I changed channel 97 to 1 again, inserted US DVD, system updated (except there was no update bar, and when it finished, the RNS-E shut off)

After turning the car back on, All the radio presets were displayed and audio is perfect. SW version is back to 0110, so I'm back where I started. :eek:

If infact I do have an EU converted to US RNS-E, which update CD do I need to make? Still US to US right?

#54 ·
Here is the version info from engineering mode:

RNS-E part# = 8E0 035 192 J

System SW index: 0110
HWindex: H71
Map database index: NN0409
HU/Navi SW version: V222023F
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version A2220132-110505
Serial No: AUZBZ7E2452024

I was wondering if someone knew if that serial number was supposed to correspond to the VIN# of my car? If so, I guess that's why audi might not warranty a retrofit RNS-E.

From this info, can someone please tell me what Source version I need to make my 0080 VIM cd from and to??? US to EU then EU to US perhaps? or just US to US?

#55 ·
That serial number is the serial number of your RNS-E and has nothing to do with the VIN of your car. And your RNS-E is in US mode, so you need a US to US update CD - if you are in the US.

#56 ·
Quick update.

I can confirm this procedure works down under :)
RNS-E unit 8E0 035 192 C
SW0110

Followed procedure outlined above & everything worked perfectly.

Because I am running EU software i waited 2Hrs (not 12! too impatient.....) & after upgrade back to Sw0110 #05 is 250 with lots of German places in history.

Thanks Haaggie & AudiA4B6US for your assistance

#57 ·
VIM for UK RNE-E

Well I've read and re-read all the post on here and it looks like there is plenty of information on how to do the VIM for US RNS-E but it all involves switching from EU to US firmware and all.

Now I already have a UK spec RNS-E with 2006-1 DVD for Europe. So is it possible to use a similar process to those listed above and unlock the VIM for a UK version unit?

#59 ·
3 Attemptsfor VIM still unsuccessful. One last try...

VIM Attempt 2 April 27, 2007
Step 1. Made new US to US Update CD
Step 2. Checked RNS-E Adaptation Codes
Software version: US3 - H71 0110
Noted Coding was equal to 0301135
Channel 5 = 1
Step 3. Changed Channel 97 to 1
Step 4. Inserted mod CD and after about a minute, the RNS-E started the update and rebooted. Prompted in German for the security key. Input.
Step 5. Inserted US DVD 0110. System updated and restarted but did not ask for security key.
Result. Channel 5 went back to 1. No VIM

Attempt 3
Step 1. Checked RNS-E Adaptation Codes
Software version: H71 0110
Noted Coding was equal to 0301135
Channel 5 = 1
Step 2. Changed Channel 97 to 1
Step 3. Inserted mod CD and after about a minute, the RNS-E started the update and rebooted. Prompted in German for the security key. Input.
Step 4. Checked Channel 97 was 0 again and changed to 1.
Step 5. Inserted US DVD 0110. System updated and restarted but did not ask for security key.Step 6. Channel 5 went back to 1 again. No VIM

Attempt 4 - Pending

Updated with VIM software. Channel 5 = 250.
Unplugged radio fuse 39 to cut power to RNS-E. I am going to wait 24 hrs to insert the US DVD.
I will let you all know if it works this time.

#60 ·
Need to confirm something

Is it necessary to change Channel 97 to 1 again after updating the RNS-E with the 0080 VIM software(before inserting the US Navigation DVD)? I tried it both ways and channel 5 changed back from 250 to 1 each time.

Also, I think its important to note that after loading the US DVD both trials, all of my RNS-E's stored stations and Navigation points remained intact. The adaptation values also did not change, except for channel 5 back to 1.

#61 ·
You need to disconnect the power to the RNS-E for 12 hours (some have reported that as little as 2 hours worked) then update back to US 0110. I realize it's been stated elsewhere in this thread that this is only necessary for EU updates, but I had to do this with my fully converted RNS-E to get VIM to stick.

#62 ·
los93sol said:
You need to disconnect the power to the RNS-E for 12 hours (some have reported that as little as 2 hours worked) then update back to US 0110. I realize it's been stated elsewhere in this thread that this is only necessary for EU updates, but I had to do this with my fully converted RNS-E to get VIM to stick.
I see, I must be having the same problem. I have one question before I try to see if this works. Did you reset Channel 97 to 1 again before updating back to US 0110 or do I just insert the DVD (leaving channel 97 on 0)?

#63 ·
Did you reset Channel 97 to 1 again before updating back to US 0110 or do I just insert the DVD (leaving channel 97 on 0)?
No, leave it on 0

It's for sure the power off issue that will solve your problem. I also have to wait some hours before I can go on. Doing the procedure in one step on converted EU->US units results in channel 05 = 1. Waiting 12 hours (haven't tried less) before inserting the 'normal' dvd results in channel 05=250. So waiting is not only necessary for EU units, but also for (some?) units in the US mode..

#64 ·
Great News!!!

Success! Yeah, leaving the radio fuse out (fuse 39) for a day did the trick.

I plugged the fuse back in, turning on the power.

Put in my 2006 US Navigation DVD

RNS-E Updated, but did not prompt for a security code and also retained my stored navigation destinations and radio presets(I was a bit nervous there)

Checked Adaptation channel 5 and it's 250...

Note: My 2006 A4 did not come with the RNS-E. I had the symphonyII before and ordered my RNS-E off of Ebay.de. It is a "J" unit manufactured in December, 2005 with SDS although I haven't enabled it because I don't have the bluetooth phone setup installed either.

I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYONE HERE ON THE FORUM FOR YOUR HELP and especially the people who figured out this hack! Couldn't have done it without you...

#65 ·
Re: VIM for UK RNE-E

edgedatauk said:
Well I've read and re-read all the post on here and it looks like there is plenty of information on how to do the VIM for US RNS-E but it all involves switching from EU to US firmware and all.

Now I already have a UK spec RNS-E with 2006-1 DVD for Europe. So is it possible to use a similar process to those listed above and unlock the VIM for a UK version unit?
edgedatauk,

The upgrade i did for Australian RNS-E is Eu -> Eu software. & as posted earlier it does work.

#66 ·
Hi,

I have met navplus.us by my friend zx81-sp. Please could you send me the RNS-E mod tool that Klaus wrote for video motion. I have another problem, I haven´t got the European 0080 software or the RNS-E DVD 8P0 919 884 B so could you be so kind to send me also the five software update files. We understand all information and rules you have written in this post so don´t worry and thank you very much.

Best regards :wink:

Luis from Spain

#71 ·
Am I wrong or some of the messages which were present on this thread have been lost ?

Someone can try getting them from a cache ? I did look at them from a "foreign" PC, so I can't do this myself...

8)

#73 ·
craigyb said:
Yes, lots of emails and threads are missing
PMs also I would say...
It seems to me a backup dated around 14.05.07 have been placed online... Am I wrong ?
Alex ? :wink:

#76 ·
Very strange indeed looks like an entire topic and following threads are erased. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.