41 - 60 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll be trying this mod this weekend with my Eu->US converter 4b0 P unit in my allroad.

I'll post my results on here when I am finished... :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey all
Did the update and checked channel 5 it says 0, but i have a third party cable so im stuck @ vag-com 409.1 is this becuase my version is too old? I attempted to change 0 to 255 and the test value comes back 1. Does that mean its @ 255??
Not sure
Great work though
Brian
2000 C5 A6 w RNS-E & soon to be DVD to front and rear screens

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If you can save 0 or 1 but not 2 or 3 then it's still locked but it also confirms that your cable is working. And the value for VIM is 250, not 255.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

after performing the VIM hack update, channel #05 should say 250. If your navi says 0, then something went wrong with the update. Did you click the "UNLOCK" button before saving the new file?

Greetings
Klaus

·
Registered
128 Posts
I updated my EU running coverted US software this weekend.
It was showing X for the version, so it wasn't a fully converted to US unit.

I made the 0080VIM CD using EU as source and US and target.
Saved all of the adaptation settings using vag-com.

Changed 97 to 1 and inserted the 0080VIM cd update started :)

Unit rebooted in german hehe, checked channel 05 it was at 250, YES!!
Inserted the normal 0150 DVD, update started, unit rebooted.

Checked version 0150 yes a full US unit.
Checked channel 05 was at 1, darn :oops:

The strange thing is that I still had all of my NAV locations still stored in memory, hmm odd other people said that they had been cleared out.

Made a US source US target 0080VIM cd.

Changed 97 to 1, and inserted.
Again it updated, checked 05 it was 250.
Inserted 0150 DVD updated, checked channel 5 it was at 1!!
Repeated one more time, and same result :cry:

Hmm thinking to myself maybe because it is an EU unit I need to update with 0080VIM and then pull power for 12 hours.

Updated with 0080 cd one more time, checked channel 5 it was 250.
Disconncted battery and let sit for ~15 hours until this afternoon.

Checked channel 5 just to be safe, it was still 250.
Updated with 0150 DVD.
Checked channel 5, it is still 250!! :D

Checked the NAV memory, and I have a bunch of German locations LOL

Not a problem I will return everything back to normal.

The only question I have it my startup volume is pretty loud, how do I change it?
I thought that it was in engineering mode under radio rest menu 3.

I tried changing the volume while in that menu a couple of times with no results.
Even tried rebooting the unit using the radio and setup buttons but it is still loud.
It has this same loud volume when unmuting even if the volume was low before turning on the mute button.

Any ideas??
Is there an adaptation channel for this?

Thanks for the awesome work, now if we could just have the US units stay on until the key is pulled out I would be very happy!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm after some help.

I am looking to unlock the VIM on my RNS-E.

Now I know from reading these posts that this is risky and not a straight forward procedure.

I also know that Dirk is covering himself when only offering the software to people who he belives has the knowledge to do so.

So I'm fine with:

- I know what an RNS-E is.
- I have a computer and can create a single session ISO 9660 CD.
- I do have a VAG-COM and already changed the software coding and adaptation channels of the RNS-E.
- I’m not afraid to render my RNS-E useless making an expensive repair or replacement necessary.
- I do not plan to sell update CDs that include the VIM hack and I do not plan to make money for unlocking VIM using the RNS-E mod tool
- I'm not using a RNS-E with SDS (SDS may get removed when loading the hacked software)

BUT what i'm lacking:

- I do have access to the European 0080 software or the RNS-E DVD 8P0 919 884 B
- I’m familiar with creating an update CD to change the region of the RNS-E or downgrade/upgrade the RNS-E software without a map DVD

because...

My RNS-E already had the Euro 550 software on it so I have not needed to upgrade/downgrade firmware.
I'm in Europe so I don't need to update the unit with US firmware.

For these reasons I don't know what the file name of the mot file that is part of the Euro 0080 software.

Basically I'm prepared to research this as much as I can, also willing to test downgrading and upgrading software to prepare for the unlock.

Basically asking for a point in the right direction!

Cheers, Rich

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Haaggie.

As an update, I have now recieved the EU update and Klaus's software.

I'm pretty sure i've worked out exactly what I need to do. I'm going to make sure and post here to check before I go ahead.

Dare I say it, it doesn't seem too tricky.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OH NO! I think I need some help please!

OK, so today I decided to go ahead with the VIM update. Here's the problems the RNS-E is having now:

There is no sound coming from the RNS-E at all.
MP3's play but with no sound.
SIRIUS radio acts as if its receiving but no sound.
FM Tuner will not receive any frequencies.
AM Tuner will not receive any frequencies.
Navigation Voice cannot be heard.
iPod connected through Dietz RCA inputs produces no sound but video will display.

Here's what I did:

Starting with a RNS-E 8E0-035-192 J I installed after I bought the car running 2006 US DVD Software (SW 0110) and channel 5 VIM locked on 1

0. Created 0080VIM Update CD. Given to me by another person on the forum (with US-RNS-E ) that successfully updated VIM.
1. Recorded all Adaptation settings to CSV file using VAG-COM and .
2. Set Controller #37, channel 97 to 1 to force downgrade to 0080.
3. Exited Vag-Com Navigation controller.
4. Inserted 0080 VIM CD. Waited a few seconds, software upgrade started. Update completed and RNS-E reset.
5. System imediately began playing an FM station but no others were displayed. All language was in German.
6. Connected to controller #37 and found channel 5 to still be set to 1. No VIM.
7. Checked channel 97 and found it was on 0.
8. Fearing something went wrong, changed 97 back to 1 and inserted the 0080 VIM CD again. Screen displayed something in german but no update happened.
9. Decided to go back to US software. Changed channel 97 from 0 to 1 again. Inserted my US DVD SW version 0110. Update would not occur until I manually reset the RNS-E. Left Vag-Com connected to system while updating.
9. Update sucessfully completed and reset. Language was back in english. Loaded MP3 cds and I also noticed all of the memory settings had not reset. Checked all Adaptation settings and found they had not changed either.
10. So, here I am back where I started except I now have no audio :cry:

Someone please help. Because I got my RNS-E from German e-bay, I suspect it was a Euro unit made US. Does that make any difference? Seller claimed it was a real US unit and (J version) had SDS.

I am going to go unplug the entire RNS-E and reconnect to see if that helps the audio. I don't know what else to do. Thanks to anyone in advance for helping me!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That's one reason why you should create the update CD yourselves, to many variables if you don't know what you are doing.

Right now, what is working and what isn't working? What is the navver shown in Engineering Mode? What is the version shown under CAR/version?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I figured out what happened but not why

Ok, Well, I found in engineering mode that the SW version was now X--- so somehow RNS-E was no longer US.

I also noticed in engineering mode that "Radio testmenu3" had all OFF values. I changed them all back to ON and switched "Gala Change = 0" and "Equalizing change" to 3 and 1 respectively. After adjusting there was still no audio.

I changed channel 97 to 1 again, inserted US DVD, system updated (except there was no update bar, and when it finished, the RNS-E shut off)

After turning the car back on, All the radio presets were displayed and audio is perfect. SW version is back to 0110, so I'm back where I started. :eek:

If infact I do have an EU converted to US RNS-E, which update CD do I need to make? Still US to US right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is the version info from engineering mode:

RNS-E part# = 8E0 035 192 J

System SW index: 0110
HWindex: H71
Map database index: NN0409
HU/Navi SW version: V222023F
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version A2220132-110505
Serial No: AUZBZ7E2452024

I was wondering if someone knew if that serial number was supposed to correspond to the VIN# of my car? If so, I guess that's why audi might not warranty a retrofit RNS-E.

From this info, can someone please tell me what Source version I need to make my 0080 VIM cd from and to??? US to EU then EU to US perhaps? or just US to US?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That serial number is the serial number of your RNS-E and has nothing to do with the VIN of your car. And your RNS-E is in US mode, so you need a US to US update CD - if you are in the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quick update.

I can confirm this procedure works down under :)
RNS-E unit 8E0 035 192 C
SW0110

Followed procedure outlined above & everything worked perfectly.

Because I am running EU software i waited 2Hrs (not 12! too impatient.....) & after upgrade back to Sw0110 #05 is 250 with lots of German places in history.

Thanks Haaggie & AudiA4B6US for your assistance

·
Registered
22 Posts
VIM for UK RNE-E

Well I've read and re-read all the post on here and it looks like there is plenty of information on how to do the VIM for US RNS-E but it all involves switching from EU to US firmware and all.

Now I already have a UK spec RNS-E with 2006-1 DVD for Europe. So is it possible to use a similar process to those listed above and unlock the VIM for a UK version unit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
3 Attemptsfor VIM still unsuccessful. One last try...

VIM Attempt 2 April 27, 2007
Step 1. Made new US to US Update CD
Step 2. Checked RNS-E Adaptation Codes
Software version: US3 - H71 0110
Noted Coding was equal to 0301135
Channel 5 = 1
Step 3. Changed Channel 97 to 1
Step 4. Inserted mod CD and after about a minute, the RNS-E started the update and rebooted. Prompted in German for the security key. Input.
Step 5. Inserted US DVD 0110. System updated and restarted but did not ask for security key.
Result. Channel 5 went back to 1. No VIM

Attempt 3
Step 1. Checked RNS-E Adaptation Codes
Software version: H71 0110
Noted Coding was equal to 0301135
Channel 5 = 1
Step 2. Changed Channel 97 to 1
Step 3. Inserted mod CD and after about a minute, the RNS-E started the update and rebooted. Prompted in German for the security key. Input.
Step 4. Checked Channel 97 was 0 again and changed to 1.
Step 5. Inserted US DVD 0110. System updated and restarted but did not ask for security key.Step 6. Channel 5 went back to 1 again. No VIM

Attempt 4 - Pending

Updated with VIM software. Channel 5 = 250.
Unplugged radio fuse 39 to cut power to RNS-E. I am going to wait 24 hrs to insert the US DVD.
I will let you all know if it works this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Need to confirm something

Is it necessary to change Channel 97 to 1 again after updating the RNS-E with the 0080 VIM software(before inserting the US Navigation DVD)? I tried it both ways and channel 5 changed back from 250 to 1 each time.

Also, I think its important to note that after loading the US DVD both trials, all of my RNS-E's stored stations and Navigation points remained intact. The adaptation values also did not change, except for channel 5 back to 1.

41 - 60 of 386 Posts