Audi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 386 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
ok, just tried it and yes, after using the modified CD channel 005 is on 250.

Recoding the RNS-E and inserting the 'normal' DVD for the update to the latest EU firmware changed the settings (back) to 0 for channel 005. No possibilty to change it to 250 anymore. Changed 097 again, and back to the modified 0080. Checked, and yes, again 005 on 250. Wait 1 night to go further...?
indeed...waiting 1 night did the trick!! Very nice find guys! Please, PM me the details for the chocolate! we have somevery fine in Holland :)

Keep up the good work. Without guys like you the forum shouldn't be that interested!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Brobble confirmed that if you do 0080-VIM, US-0020 and EU-0550 (in that order) you won't have to wait 12h.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Haaggie said:
this procedure for EU and US units as well?
For US units you just load the 0080-VIM followed by the US-0150 (or whatever the newest software is that you have). For Europe you could do a EU-US version of the 0080-VIM, then load the US-0020 followed by a US2EU update and finished with a EU-0550 update. Maybe you can even skip the US-0020 step and do the US2EU update right after 0080-VIM.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
For US units you just load the 0080-VIM followed by the US-0150 (or whatever the newest software is that you have).
tried that today on a EU unit, earlier converted to SW 0150, but this procedure resulted in 0250 for channel 005 after inserting the 0080 VIM, but 001 again after US-0150..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Haaggie said:
For US units you just load the 0080-VIM followed by the US-0150 (or whatever the newest software is that you have).
tried that today on a EU unit, earlier converted to SW 0150, but this procedure resulted in 0250 for channel 005 after inserting the 0080 VIM, but 001 again after US-0150..
Ups :?:

What did you do? You started with a US0150, loaded EU0080_VIM and than again US0150 and channel 05 returned to 001? I will check this out again, but it should work the way you did ...

Greetings
Klaus

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
yep..that's what I did.

the only thing I forgot was to set 097 back to 0 before inserting 0150 again. I ended up with an unit with 0150, channel 005 on 1, and 097 still on 1. Strange, because normally 097 automatically goes back to 0 after the 0080 VIM.

Anyway, can this cause the 005 not on 250?

·
Registered
517 Posts
It sounds like that is what I did, and it worked for me.

Generated 0080_MOD CD (both boot and reboot set to US).
Set 97 to 1.
Inseted 0080_MOD CD and let it update.
Inserted original US 2007 DVD and let it update.
Restored softcoding and channel values.
Ch 5 was still set to 250, and it is holding.

No problems on two units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could someone please post on how to produce the 0080-VIM CD?

I would very much appreciate it if someone please confirmed or correct me about how to perform this Vehicle in Motion RNS-E hack. I am sure the rest of the Audi community here would greatly appreciate a clear layman's explaination as well.

For US RNS-E with SDS

Step 1. Using your Vag-Com cable and Vag-Com software, record all existing Adaptation Channel values (Channels 1 - 139) before preceding with next steps.

Step 2. Create a CD with that has the 0080-VIM code to be inserted into the RNS-E slot. Insert and allow to update. Can someone please explain how to create this CD? What is everyone referring to when they say 0080-VehicleInMotion? Is 0080 just an old softare version which allowed VIM?

Step 3. Turn off car and wait 12 hours

Step 4. Insert whatever your newest (in my case 2006 version = 0150 I think?) Navteq DVD software is and allow it to update automatically. Channel 05 should remain 250 for VIM??

Step 5. Use Vag-Com to verify all Adaptation Channel Settings are the same as before you started except for Channel 05 = 250 instead of 1.

I am unclear as to when you are supposed to use Channel 097 to force RNS-E when to go back to an older software version. Also, if I only have my 2006 Navteq DVD, how do I use it to make RNS-E go to older version such as 0080 if that's what 0080-VIM is referring to??

(Note to everyone like me who doesn't know what they're doing: This is all guesswork so please don't try these steps until someone who does know corrects them.)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No US RNS-E has SDS, only some European RNS-E do have SDS. SDS has nothign to do with the ability to use voice dialing with the Audi phone interface.

1) Correct. This is also the step where you should change channel 97 to 1, otherwise it won't accept the update CD as update in the next step.
2) Correct. For the how to get the mod tool, read the first posting in this topic.
3) Only necessary when updating a European RNS-E
4) Correct, 2007 US DVD contain US-0150, 2007 Europe DVDs contain EU-0550
5) Correct, also make sure that channel 97 is set to 0

·
Registered
105 Posts
Haaggie said:
yep..that's what I did.

the only thing I forgot was to set 097 back to 0 before inserting 0150 again. I ended up with an unit with 0150, channel 005 on 1, and 097 still on 1. Strange, because normally 097 automatically goes back to 0 after the 0080 VIM.

Anyway, can this cause the 005 not on 250?
OK, I just tested this configuration (was a long way to go for me):
started with EU0550 unlocked, -> special EU0080_relock update for EU to US, -> US0150 original, tested VIM already inactive, -> EU0080 VIM US to US, -> US0150 original):

Result: VIM is open! :lol:

Maybe, sometimes the navi will be confused if there are to much updates coming in ... Maybe it would help to use a different update such as US0110 or US0040.

Greetings
Klaus

·
Registered
3 Posts
rns-e can not load mod cd i set ch 97 to 1 and insert mod cd,
rns-e not start the update on monitor stands " Update CD/DVD 0080 "

·
Registered
105 Posts
mrst said:
rns-e can not load mod cd i set ch 97 to 1 and insert mod cd,
rns-e not start the update on monitor stands " Update CD/DVD 0080 "
Hi, sounds, as you are in the wrong region. What is the current firmware - EU or US? Did you set "source" and "target" corresponding to your region?

Do you know how to create an update CD correctely?

Greetings
Klaus

PS: Wir hätten das auch auf deutsch schreiben können, oder?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did some more tests today, here's what I got:

- Starting with 8E0 035 192 E running US 0150 and VIM was locked (no value higher than 1 was possible in channel 5)
- Made a 0080VIM CD
- Captured all channel values and the software coding (see below)
- Set #37 channel 97 to 1 to force a downgrade (0080VIM is SOFIDX 0080 and my RNS-E was already on 0150)
- Inserted the 0080VIM CD, unit started to update and rebooted once
- After the reboot I got prompted to enter the safe code, CAR/version showed X---, channel 05 was set to 250
- Removed 0080VIM CD and inserted 2007 US DVD
- RNS-E started update and rebooted once
- After the reboot I got prompted again to enter the safe code, CAR/version showed 0150
- Checked that channel 97 was set to 0, channel 05 was set to 250
- Restored software coding and channel values

To capture the adaptation channel values I used VAG-COM 704.0. Under Applications / Controller Channels Map select Controller Access 37, Function Adapation, Output CSV file. It creates a file adpmap-37-8E0-035-192-E.CSV at \Ross-Tech\VAG-COM\Logs\, rename this before doing the second scan or it will get overwritten. Do this before you start the update and after finishing all updates and compare the two exports, this way it's very easy to see which channels changed.

The whole process took like 30-45 minutes including making the update CD.

Again, congratulations to Klaus and Brobble, excellent work (maybe the best hack after figuring out how to load the US software on a Euro unit).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, Dirk.
The HELP instruction: "To keep the RNS-E unlocked you will need to remove all power
from the RNS-E for about 12 hours before you proceed and install the current firmware."
Still valid?

I love the forum. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
audigogo said:
Hi, Dirk.
The HELP instruction: "To keep the RNS-E unlocked you will need to remove all power
from the RNS-E for about 12 hours before you proceed and install the current firmware."
Still valid?

Hi,

you only have to remove power, if you want to update the RNS-E with an EU firmware. If you run a US update, you do not have to wait for 12 hours.

Greetings
Klaus

·
Registered
43 Posts
Klaus H. said:
audigogo said:
Hi, Dirk.
Still valid?

Hi,

you only have to remove power, if you want to update the RNS-E with an EU firmware. If you run a US update, you do not have to wait for 12 hours.

Greetings
Klaus
OK.
Thanks for your answer very much. :D

21 - 40 of 386 Posts