Audi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Kufatec is supposed to have a "personal" version of a similar interface that will unlock only a single RNS-E. The diagsoft one is about 700 Euros, the personal interface Kufatec sells is about 200 Euros.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I sent Ross-Tech an email asking about this. Seems that since the VAG-COM accesses the same OBD-II port and interfaces with the NAV it should be able to accompish this. It may not be in their current version of the software, but maybe in the future? Or maybe they just know where and which codes to use?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm sure they know how to unlock TV in motion and I'm also pretty certain that this feature will not be in any future version of VAG-COM. I would even be surprised if you get an answer if you asked about video in motion and not just some pre-sale questions.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Cole said:
I sent Ross-Tech an email asking about this. Seems that since the VAG-COM accesses the same OBD-II port and interfaces with the NAV it should be able to accompish this. It may not be in their current version of the software, but maybe in the future? Or maybe they just know where and which codes to use?
Unlocking is based on different hardware and I doubt that RossTech will consider hardware update just to implement VIM unlocking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They did respond to me. Unfortunately it was a pretty snotty note about how they build "diagnostic" software only and have no interest in building a device to allow people to watch TV while driving.

You would think they would want their device to have the most functionality possible and to reduce as much competion as possible. Oh well. I tried.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seriously, what could that little handheld device plugged into a COMPUTER port do that a COMPUTER could not do?

I think this is a software issue NOT a hardware issue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cole said:
Seriously, what could that little handheld device plugged into a COMPUTER port do that a COMPUTER could not do?

I think this is a software issue NOT a hardware issue.
I guess it's possible that the little tool flashes the ROM or something, but I'm with you, I think's it's a software block.

PROXUS, dont' you do this for users? Would you be willing to sell your secret?;)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
There is no secret...you need to access engineering mode for OS.
you can't do it with VAG or VAS. Unlocking tools they sell have preprogrammed unlocking codes for engineering mode of OS (not firmware)

·
Registered
189 Posts
ah, over my head ... You charge $200 to do this? To bad your to far to drive to ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
In fact you can unlock a RNS-E just with a laptop and a CAN adapter, as Proxus say, it's just a matter of know the correct CAN messages, anyway, if you buy that hardware (and try to find the codes) probably will be over Proxus price, so I think that his solution is cheaper and faster.

Regards

·
Registered
41 Posts
PROXUS said:
There is no secret...you need to access engineering mode for OS.
you can't do it with VAG or VAS. Unlocking tools they sell have preprogrammed unlocking codes for engineering mode of OS (not firmware)
Well then what is this that I got from the Quick Links page?

STG 56 -> Adaptation -> Function 10

-> Channel 001 (Tires)
See http://de.openobd.org/audi/rns.htm#reifen

-> Channel 002 (GALA)
0 - Self calibration
8 - Audi A6 (4B)
43 - Audi A3 (8P)
45 - Audi A4 (> 2004)

-> Channel 003 (Language)
0 - German
1 - English (UK only)
2 - French
3 - Italian
5 - Spanish
7 - English (USA only)

-> Channel 004 (undocumented)

-> Channel 005 (TV in motion)
0 - off
1 - up to 5 km/h
250 - unlimited

-> Channel 007 (Settings)
+01 - Distance in miles
+02 - Speed in mph
+04 - time in am/pm
+08 - Date in MM:TT:JJJJ
+16 - Repeat voice commands

Thanks!

Nevermind--I found the answer deep down in some threads :D For anyone else that has the same question and runs into this thread, the problem (from what I read in the post) is that while you can change the value, it resets unless you have something *special* (?certain log-in rights?)

That's a shame b/c it would def'y be sweet to do it that way. . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cole said:
They did respond to me. Unfortunately it was a pretty snotty note about how they build "diagnostic" software only and have no interest in building a device to allow people to watch TV while driving.

You would think they would want their device to have the most functionality possible and to reduce as much competion as possible. Oh well. I tried.
More than likely that they are not willing to build and market a device that potentially opens their company up to a multitude of liability lawsuits that could arise from people having accidents while driving and then blaming them saying that they were watching VIM............

Not say that it would happen to you but I think we all know how SOME people can be.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
In an idle moment (or two or three) yesterday I was scanning through the measuring blocks of the RNS-E and only came across 1 that needed a login code. Wonder if this is related in any way to VIM enabling?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tested this:

-> Channel 005 (TV in motion)
0 - off
1 - up to 5 km/h
250 - unlimited

but this value do not goes........
Rns-e take only 0 or 1.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
PetrolDave said:
In an idle moment (or two or three) yesterday I was scanning through the measuring blocks of the RNS-E and only came across 1 that needed a login code. Wonder if this is related in any way to VIM enabling?
Channel 16 (if that is what requires the logon code) has nothing to do with VIM, as far as I can tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts