Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there ! :(

I was wondering if you guys can comfirm something to me:

I basically bought the PhatBox at my Audi Dealer, went there this morning to haveit installed, only to be told that it CANNOT be done! The car that I bought (A3 2.0T concert radio) is not prewired for anything!

I CANNOT install the iPod adapter, No, PhatBox, NO nothing!

I'm thinking of returning the car and buy the 3.2S Full Optional (nav and all that)...... would that be prewired??

Very sad :(

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It may not be "prewired" for anything, but the concert radio definitely has an input on the rear that can be used for CDC or Phatbox or ipod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is complete [email protected] and the dealer needs their butt kicked.
You can install ANY of the list you have listed.
Concert WILL work with the newly available IPOD adapter from the dealership or Dension ICE Link. Takes about 30 mins tops to fit including removal of the glovebox.
Phatbox CAN be installed also, Use the OLD style CD changer lead and just populate the cd section of the wiring at the back of the head unit.
You can install a glovebox cd changer, you can also install a remote cd in the boot/trunk or like I have, a sony cd xplod mp3 6cd changer via connects 2 connector which plug inline to the back of the standard unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the help!

Well, I've asked about installing the iPOd adapter that they had there in stock but they told me its not for the A3! Only for A4 or A6....

Also, the Phatbox could not be installed because the manual does not state the A3 as a supported car...and they told me they had to experiment with my car....

??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, thats just 'rubbish'.. they dont know what they are talking about.. ask to speak to someone who does (like the workshop foreman).
The ipod adapter is not specific to the A4.. the Concert 2 radio is fitted to the a3 and a4...
You may be better going to a car audio shop or another dealer...

·
Registered
996 Posts
complete crap. Good thing you have this forum to fall back on. :)

Space in the trunk of the A5 A3 is at a premium....and they only have space for the SAT tuner to fit over the drivers' side wheel well in that little slot.

If you really want the pbox for your car, here's what you should do:

1) purchase the VW version for $130 (it comes with the rectangular connector that will adapt to item #3 below.
2) To fit it in your gbox, I would either cut some of the metal outer cover...or just remove it completely. See some related pix here:
http://www.myphatbox.com/
http://www.myphatbox.com/showthread.php?t=31
http://www.myphatbox.com/showthread.php?t=26

3) purhase this glovebox CDC cable...and it will come with the installation pix..and pin/wires (not in connector), directions etc so you can add them to your Connector I - Part#: 8E0-051-592 ($30). Your A3 might already have three wires in pins 18, 19 and 20 in Connector I for the prewiring for your SAT tuner. You will need to use some pin extraction tools to get them out.

3a) if you want the pbox...and the Sat tuner functional together...that is certainly doable...but requires a bit more wiring to the trunk. I just built this exact same plug/play harness for another client with a B6 S4 (ipod in glovebox though). Drop me an email...if you want the same.

For Ipod,
follow steps 3 and 3a...but purchase this version of the Icelink:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/DENSION_I20_VW_T.html

Good luck...and rock on!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
As far as I know, all A3 in the US are prewired for SAT and CD changer. There is a connector in the trunk for the SAT receiver (with a jumper plug if no receiver is installed) and there is a CD changer plug behind the glovebox. The CD jack is available as Audi part, so are the pins and any iPod adapter could be adapted to plug right in there. And even if it isn't, the Concert head unit will certainly support the IceLInk or Audi adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thak you so very very much guys! YOU guys ROCK!!

:)

TeddyBGame awesome post! Thank you!!
Question for you:

Since I'm in US (miami) the A3 should have the CD changer cable already in place in the glove box or trunk, correct?

At that point I only have to buy the VW Phatbox and connect that cable in the glovebox, and that's it? No other cables needed, am I correct?

And, no, I do NOT need SAT...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Emanuele said:
Thak you so very very much guys! YOU guys ROCK!!

:)

TeddyBGame awesome post! Thank you!!
Question for you:

Since I'm in US (miami) the A3 should have the CD changer cable already in place in the glove box or trunk, correct?

At that point I only have to buy the VW Phatbox and connect that cable in the glovebox, and that's it? No other cables needed, am I correct?

And, no, I do NOT need SAT...
yes..I believe so. if you don't have the cable...you will need to spend the $30 to add it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
....well I just took out the cd changer tray in the glovebox and the cable is there!!!! WOOWOOOO!

I'll pay a visit to a VW Dealer tomorrow, I guess !!

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH guys!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
You don't need to visit your VW dealer.......

If you already own a PhatBox, then all you need is the CD changer cable-to-Phatbox adapter cable. That's the VW PhatBox adapter cable and you can probably buy one from an e-bay source. What you're looking for is the cable that goes from the rectangular connector in the glovebox to the Phatbox. I see one being offered on e-bay right now--it's item #8054010867 .

BTW, the easiest way to mount the PhatBox in the A3 glovebox is to remove the aluminum frame from the case and use a piece of Velcro on the bottom and in the glovebox to secure it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Mike...

well I do NOT own a phatbox as of now. I'm going to order it from a VW dealer in miami on Monday.

Today I called around to see if anyone had it in stock but 3 dealers out of 5 said that it is a discontnued product!!!! Is that so??

·
Registered
367 Posts
You may luck up and find a dealer who has one in stock and wants to get rid of it....VW and Audi have pretty much terminated their arrangement with PhatNoise--who's now making player systems for GM....

I'd recommend searching e-bay for a VW Phatbox. There's over 10 currently listed for sale. As long as it's got the rectangular VW adapter cable, any of them should work.....

Here's a link to another source:

http://www.1stvwparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=969

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Emanuele said:
Thank you again Mike...

so, is there an alternative to the PhatBox? A more recent alternative?
Not for the price the phatbox gets sold recently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
....thank you AudiA4B6US

well, price is not much of a concern....

:) I guess there is a better product out there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts