Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, after RNS-E installed, need to vag my car. However, does anyone knows whether or not i need CAN for my vag cable? Cuz mine is not the original one and does not support CAN.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
If you have an 8P A3/S3 then you need a CAN cable, if you have a B7 A4 then a combined KL/CAN cable is recommended, for older A3/A4 models a KL (dual-K) cable is OK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PetrolDave said:
If you have an 8P A3/S3 then you need a CAN cable, if you have a B7 A4 then a combined KL/CAN cable is recommended, for older A3/A4 models a KL (dual-K) cable is OK.
I have a B7 A4. On the ross-tech website, it says there are some functions that can work and some can't. Do you know which works? I'm basically jus looking at the car being able to recognise my RNS-E

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The B7 uses CAN diagnostics only for engine and power train components. the RNS-E, phone interface and several other convenience interfaces are still on the K/L line.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I haven't said that. I said a KKL cable is fine but the RNS-E and even more the phone interface do not play very well together with VAG-COM versions older than 512. Using VAG-COM 6xx or 7xx is only part of the story, having a Ross-Tech cable with current USB firmware also makes a difference. You may be able to use a cheap cable but troubleshooting if something doesn't work as expected may be time consuming.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Haaggie said:
so, when you only want to program your RNS-E and BT-module, you should do this with VAG COM 4.09 and a 'cheap' third party OBD cable?
There's been so many cases on here where people have tried to use VAG-COM versions earlier than 512 with a third party cable and had controller not responding messages. Adding to what Dirk has said, with the Bluetooth module it's advisable to use 607 or later to get a reliable connection.

I really don't think it's worth the hassle and stress of trying to use a cable that doesn't support at least VAG-COM 6xx - just read some of the posts on here if you don't believe me!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts