·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the RNS-E in my 2000 S4 back to its original state with:

Symphony I (head unit)
CD Changer/Phatbox
Bose

After putting everything back, I'm not getting any radio information on the instrument cluster. It's just a blank screen at the top. I went into 17 Instruments with the VAG and my coding was: 02264

What/where are the VAG settings to get this information back on the instrument cluster?

Here are some fault codes that were showing up once I put back in the Symphony I head unit. One of these may just be showing up bacause of the removal of the RNS-E, but the other two I'm wondering. I cleared them just a minute ago and I'll wait to see if they come back. But for right now I'd like to recode the cluster to dislay the track & radio information.

01300 - Control Module for Navigation with CD-Rom (J401)
49-00 - No Communications

01304 - Radio

01311 - Information Data Bus
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The coding doesn't make a difference unless you changed your cluster to use CAN instead of 3 wire bus when you installed your RNS-E. Did you confirm that the CAN wires are connected properly?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not to sure about the CAN wires but I do know that I didn't have to tap into the instrument cluster for anything. My RNS-E was completely PNP.

Its weird because I was getting the radio/track information with the RNS-E before switching back to the Symphony I.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
todd1010 said:
I'm not to sure about the CAN wires but I do know that I didn't have to tap into the instrument cluster for anything. My RNS-E was completely PNP.

Its weird because I was getting the radio/track information with the RNS-E before switching back to the Symphony I.
You need to adapt your instrument cluster back to zero...

17-Instruments
Adaptation - 10
Channel 62 -> 0

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
NSX JR said:
todd1010 said:

You need to adapt your instrument cluster back to zero...

17-Instruments
Adaptation - 10
Channel 62 -> 0
Isn't it 1 to have radio in the DIS?

17-Instruments
Adaptation - 10
Channel 62 -> 1

I would have thought it was a hardware issue, swapping backwards and forwards between the 2 units should not make any difference. is the symphony I CAN? I though you would need a symphony II.

Can't remember when they switched to CAN bus

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HAVE JUMPED TO ANY CONCLUSIONS

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just adapted to: 0 in the instruments and everything seems fine. The instrument cluster is working like it should and displaying the track/radio information.

One more question:

The VAG fault codes that I had, was that related to the adaption channel before the change? So after I changed it to: 0 I shouldn't get anymore fault codes?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sympohony I is not on CANbus.. that is why you vag the instruments to zero so it won't be looknig for the radio information over CAN.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
todd1010 said:
Well I just adapted to: 0 in the instruments and everything seems fine. The instrument cluster is working like it should and displaying the track/radio information.

One more question:

The VAG fault codes that I had, was that related to the adaption channel before the change? So after I changed it to: 0 I shouldn't get anymore fault codes?
All those fault codes were because of your adaptation channel 62:

01300 - Control Module for Navigation with CD-Rom (J401)

This is because your cluster was coded for NAV over CAN.

01304 - Radio

This is because your cluster was coded for radio over CAN.

01311 - Information Data Bus
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

This is because your cluster was coded for radio and nav over CAN... and neither was present in your car at the time. So, it thoght the CAN data bus must be faulty.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
NSX JR said:
Sympohony I is not on CANbus.. that is why you vag the instruments to zero so it won't be looknig for the radio information over CAN.
That makes sense, if clk/data/enable Sym I then 0
If can bus Sym II then 1

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts