Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've successfully installed an RNS-E ("K" version) into my 04 S4 Cabriolet. I've got the 2007 Navigation Disc and updated the software successfully.

When I was in the States last week I picked up the latest Ross-Tech VAG KEY-USB Cable and downloaded the latest software.

I have installed and configured the software. When I run the test (options) I get a successful message (Port Status OK, Interface Found, Type, Ross-TEch KEY-USB, Status Not plugged into car).

However when connected to the car and attempt to access modules I get a "Not Connected to car" error. When I run the test under options, I get the same message as before: (Port Status OK, Interface Found, Type, Ross-TEch KEY-USB, Status Not plugged into car).

The ignition is on, the cable connected at both ends. I've tried ignition on before starting software and after. I've disabled almost all the aplications and services I can think of on my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not an expert here, but I would try it on a second vehicle just to narrow down where the problem is. If it fails on a second vehicle, then I would recommend using a different workstation as your next test. If that also fails, you would probably need to contact Ross-Tech for a replacement cable.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Try plugging the lead into the car first before plugging the lead into the computers. Then turn ignition on and finally plug lead into computer.

No guarantees mind, but I found my lead disappears if I have it plugged into the computer before the car.

Dave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

I don't have access to another Audi at the moment, I just tried plugging into car and turning the ignition on first but still no luck.

Should the connector "click" into place on the car side? Mine seems to slide in and out quite easily with no real indication of a plug clicking into place.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No "Click" on mine but it is a fairly snug fit, not loose.

Does the lead definitely say Ross-Tech on it, I bought a lead at a garage sale that was supposed to be genuine but wasn't and that acted as you describe.

Dave.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When you tested it out, did you make sure you clicked "Save" before exiting the VAG COM software? Just want to confirm that you followed these steps from the Ross-Tech website:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/usb-config.html

Also, did you download the most recent version of the software (Version 607)???

With my VAG COM USB cable (both the HEX+CAN and the former KEY USB, it did not matter whether or not the car was on or off when I plugged in to the port under the dash. Mostly, I prefer to have the car off when I make connections, but it is not necessary. However, 75% of the time, the laptop is on, the VAG COM cable is plugged into the USB port on the laptop, and the car is off. I then make the connection to the car, then turn the key to the accessory position.

If you do not make connection to the car, sounds like you might have a bad cable. In that case, get on live support via phone with the laptop and VAG COM cable ready, and see if they can help you live (although it sounds like you are out of the US).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I'll try a reinstall of the software. If that doesn't work I'll try a live support call, I'm not in the U.S. so it might be a late night phone call for me!

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts