Audi Forum banner

Vag com what do i need

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PetrolDave 
#1 ·
hope someone can point me in the right direction, i have for too long relied on other people to use their VAG com to program my car so i am about to do the MFSW retro fit and i know i will need VAG com to do it so i think its time i bought my own can anyone tell me where to buy the cable and software and what cable i will need.
i have the A4 2003 B6 2.5 Tdi and my laptop has no parrel or serial ports only USB so could anyone tell me what cable i need and software and where to buy it for my car

Many thanks

#4 ·
i know this sounds cheap but there is a cable on ebay that says it supports the vag software up to VAG.COM VERSION 409.1 OR OLDER but is only £10 compared to £190 for the cable from Ross tec i am only going to use this cable a couple of times if that but would it allow me to change settings for MFSW RNSE or Bluetooth and i dont know what cable is correct for my car is it can bus or K line etc any advice would be really helpfull

#5 ·
The only recommendation I can give is to go with the original Ross-Tech cable. All new Audi have CAN and the HEX-CAN USB or COM will allow you to work on todays and tomorrows Audi. We have already seen that some modules (e.g. phone interface) require the newest VAG-COM, or at least a 500 or newer version. And those no name interfaces won't work with the newer VAG-COM software.

#7 ·
Play with the online manual at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/main_screen.html, that's pretty much what the software does on your computer.

Two tips: Stay with the basic functions until you know what you are doing adn write down a value/setting BEFORE you make any change.

#9 ·
lushtech said:
So if all I want to do is program for the Nav System in my 2003 A4 (B6) 3.0, can i buy the 20 dollar cable off ebay?
Probably not.

Most cheap cables only work with VAG-COM up to version 311.2, and to access some of the adaptation channels on an RNS-E you need a later version than that, I forget the exact number but IIRC it's over 500.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.