Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of notebook do i need for vag com
what kind o f software do i need
where can i get this software
what kind of cable do i need
wher can i buy this
what a the code,s for bluetooth
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
xallias said:
What kind of notebook do i need for vag com
what kind o f software do i need
where can i get this software
what kind of cable do i need
wher can i buy this
what a the code,s for bluetooth
Visit http://www.Ross-Tech.com this is the website of the people who develop VAG-COM, it should answer all your questions except the last one. If you want to ask specific questions after reading that website please do.

On my B7 RS4 I use a Dell Inspiron 510m with a HEX-COM+CAN lead and VAG-COM version 607.3 (latest version always free to download from that website). I bought the cable direct from Ross Tech.

The most common coding for the Bluetooth module is 10722, but that makes the language English - which probably isn't wnat you want! What language do you want?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
What kind of notebook do i need for vag com
what kind o f software do i need
where can i get this software
what kind of cable do i need
wher can i buy this
what a the code,s for bluetooth
Visit http://www.Ross-Tech.com this is the website of the people who develop VAG-COM, it should answer all your questions except the last one. If you want to ask specific questions after reading that website please do.

On my B7 RS4 I use a Dell Inspiron 510m with a HEX-COM+CAN lead and VAG-COM version 607.3 (latest version always free to download from that website). I bought the cable direct from Ross Tech.

The most common coding for the Bluetooth module is 10722, but that makes the language English - which probably isn't wnat you want! What language do you want?
thanx for responding so the only thing i have to buy is the cable and the rest is for free and i want dutch language but that isn,t availble so english is fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
xallias said:
thanx for responding so the only thing i have to buy is the cable and the rest is for free and i want dutch language but that isn,t availble so english is fine
Ross-Tech does have distributors in many countries, who localize the software. I notice on their distributor list there are two listing for Nederlands, so maybe Dutch is available, if it is important to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bjarne said:
xallias said:
thanx for responding so the only thing i have to buy is the cable and the rest is for free and i want dutch language but that isn,t availble so english is fine
Ross-Tech does have distributors in many countries, who localize the software. I notice on their distributor list there are two listing for Nederlands, so maybe Dutch is available, if it is important to you.
i saw that and it,s alot easyer so i try that but the only thing i need is a cable for around 35 € do i have that right
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
xallias said:
the only thing i need is a cable for around 35 € do i have that right
for €35 that would not be a genuine cable ... and if you read this forum regularly you will have seen many cases where people have been having trouble attaching to various modules (the Bluetooth module especially) when using third party (cheap) cables. In all cases these problems went away when they bought a genuine cable. IIRC you can't modify all the adaptation channels on the RNS-E using third party cables either.

By all means try a cheap cable, but expect to have problems .... so don't be surprised if you need to buy a genuine cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
the only thing i need is a cable for around 35 € do i have that right
for €35 that would not be a genuine cable ... and if you read this forum regularly you will have seen many cases where people have been having trouble attaching to various modules (the Bluetooth module especially) when using third party (cheap) cables. In all cases these problems went away when they bought a genuine cable. IIRC you can't modify all the adaptation channels on the RNS-E using third party cables either.

By all means try a cheap cable, but expect to have problems .... so don't be surprised if you need to buy a genuine cable.
thanks again for replying but when i look at that ross tech site i only find cable,s for about 35€ or 50€ and i don,t need a notebook i have one and the software is for free. but i want a genuine cable but i can,t find it in the shop of ross tech
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
xallias said:
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
the only thing i need is a cable for around 35 € do i have that right
for €35 that would not be a genuine cable ... and if you read this forum regularly you will have seen many cases where people have been having trouble attaching to various modules (the Bluetooth module especially) when using third party (cheap) cables. In all cases these problems went away when they bought a genuine cable. IIRC you can't modify all the adaptation channels on the RNS-E using third party cables either.

By all means try a cheap cable, but expect to have problems .... so don't be surprised if you need to buy a genuine cable.
thanks again for replying but when i look at that ross tech site i only find cable,s for about 35€ or 50€ and i don,t need a notebook i have one and the software is for free. but i want a genuine cable but i can,t find it in the shop of ross tech
Look here http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM - a whole page of genuine cables from $229 upwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
PetrolDave said:
xallias said:
the only thing i need is a cable for around 35 € do i have that right
for €35 that would not be a genuine cable ... and if you read this forum regularly you will have seen many cases where people have been having trouble attaching to various modules (the Bluetooth module especially) when using third party (cheap) cables. In all cases these problems went away when they bought a genuine cable. IIRC you can't modify all the adaptation channels on the RNS-E using third party cables either.

By all means try a cheap cable, but expect to have problems .... so don't be surprised if you need to buy a genuine cable.
thanks again for replying but when i look at that ross tech site i only find cable,s for about 35€ or 50€ and i don,t need a notebook i have one and the software is for free. but i want a genuine cable but i can,t find it in the shop of ross tech
Look here http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM - a whole page of genuine cables from $229 upwards.
thanx again i saw that but i already have the vag com software so i only need the cable isn,t that pssible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
The software is not free, it's a $99 shareware license if I recall correctlky. If you own a software license for VAG-COM, contact Ross-tech and you will get a discount on an genuine Ross-Tech cable (which includes the VAG-COM software).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Interface found until plugged into car

Hi, I've just tried my Hex-USB+CAN interfcae for the first time and I'm not sure that everything is OK.

Using 6.07ue I can find the Port & Interface OK, however if I then plug it into my car a red light appears on the interface which changes to green after a couple of seconds, but VAG-COM then says that it can no longer see the interface ???

I have tried it with and without the ignition on, but the results are the same.

I have gone into "About" and there is now a serial number displayed which was empty before being plugged into my car and it also now says fully licensed, although I have not registered with Ross Tech yet as I want to first make sure it all works OK.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong.

Regards, Dave.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
Re: Interface found until plugged into car

Dave.G6HNI said:
Hi, I've just tried my Hex-USB+CAN interfcae for the first time and I'm not sure that everything is OK.

Using 6.07ue I can find the Port & Interface OK, however if I then plug it into my car a red light appears on the interface which changes to green after a couple of seconds, but VAG-COM then says that it can no longer see the interface ???

I have tried it with and without the ignition on, but the results are the same.

I have gone into "About" and there is now a serial number displayed which was empty before being plugged into my car and it also now says fully licensed, although I have not registered with Ross Tech yet as I want to first make sure it all works OK.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong.

Regards, Dave.
A HEX-USB+CAN doesn't require you to register, it does it automatically when you plug it in to your PC and connect the lead to a car.

All you need to do is connect the lead to the car, turn the ignition ON and start VAG-COM.

If that doesn't work then you probably have a problem with the USB drivers, so go the the Ross-Tech website and follow the USB driver installation instructions EXACTLY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Hi Petrol Dave,

I did follow the USB driver install very carefully and the interface IS detected in VAG-COM !

It's only when I plug the interface into the car that VAG can no longer detect the interface ???

I have tried my old OBD II interface and v4.91 and that works just fine.

The hex-usb+can interface is a much tighter fit in the diagnosic socket than my old OBD II one and I'm concerned about using too much force to ensure a good connection, - does the fact that the red and then the green light come on signify that it is connected correctly.

Dave.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top