Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having my RNS-E, Dietz 1280, Dietz 1417 and Blaupunkt ME3 installed everything works except the DIS.

I have the standard red DIS and when I used the Vag-com to code

STG 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+04 - Navigation

the default setting was 17. I set it to 5 and it didn't work.

Anyone know why my DIS doesn't work?

Thanks
Monkeydad
B7 Avant 2.0T, no tech package, no trip computer, no bose

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Not sure if the navi will show up on the DIS if no trip computer is installed but in any case the correct coding would have been 17+4=21. +4 is for Navigation and this should be added to the value already set. Some also reported that it takes one night to work, some other reported tha removing the fuse for the cluster for 10+ minutes helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vag code still not working

OK, so I recoded it again to 21, let it sit overnight, but it's still not working.

STG 17 (Instrument cluster) -> Adaptation -> Function 10 -> Channel 62
+01 - Radio
+04 - Navigation

default was 17, recoded to 17+4 (21)

Interestingly, I saw the DIS with directions for a split second about 5 minutes after the recoding, but haven't seen it since, so I know the code did something, but it doesn't work as it should still.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Since you have no trip computer, I would think you need to install the wiper stalk with trip computer buttons so you can switch back and forth from your nav info to your tempurature display. This will require you to recode your cluster again to enable the trip computer functions as well.

This is just my opinion as I have not had direct contact with a car that did not include the trip computer.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: dis

adammarshall said:
so you dont have to have the tmc box in order forthe dis to work??? my rns e , Euro coded to US is showing up this week.
The RNS-E doesn't need a separate TMC box - the TMC tuner and CAN connections to the DIS are internal to the RNS-E (unlike the RNS-D).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DIS works, but.......

recoded the instrument cluster channel 62 to 17+4 (21), nothing initially, but finally 2 days later, the DIS shows up. 2 problems

1) since I don't have a trip computer and I don't have the stalk with the switch, I can't switch back to my range info. The normal screen only shows initially when I start the car, but when I press the "accept risks of driving with nav...." screen the DIS switches to display what road I'm driving on regardless of what the RNS-E is doing (radio, nav, cd/tv..etc) I still get the radio station info and temperature at the top of my DIS, but I've lost access to my range info. Is there any way to switch this without getting the new stalk and all the wiring headaches encompassed?
2) My RNS-E freaks out whenever I start driving on a freeway. The route guidance directions show a very small "turn right" signal and the mileage is all wrong. The map info stays correct. As soon as I reach an exit, however, the route guidance (right side of screen) corrects itself and works fine. interestingly the DIS info is alwyas correct. Any ideas?

Thanks,
B7 A4 Avant 2.0T, no tech package, RNS-E, dietz 1417, 1280, ME3

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can turn off the compass by pressing setup while in nav mode. This will remove the street name display while you are not in an active route. The DIS will then only show nav info if you are in active route guidance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I made the same mistake in my coding this channel!

Coded for +1+4=5 when original value was 17...so I will go back and recode for 21!!!

BUT even with the wrong coding - after 2 days the info in my (red) DIS comes up when I have compass enabled.

I do have the std trip computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts