Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a rns-e flashed to US software (BT works, US regular DVD, etc)

my question is about the new map disc. will my unit automatically load the new software and use the newer dvd?

my only concern is that my software reads X--- rather than 110 which is what i believe i have

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If it shows X--- you will likely have to set #56 channel 97 to 1 to reset the sofidx.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm stuck trying to get my rns/e update using the channel 97 toggle. When I insert the dvd, it doesn't start a firmware update. What am I doing wrong? Is there a good description of the steps needed. I have a "D" unit, semi-reflashed so it shows X--- as the version. As I didn't do that flashing, I don't know what version it actually is now.

Is there a link to step by steps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks audia4b6us, so basically i can just use my VAG-COM to initiate the update and i am good to go?

i just want to make sure i don't get stuck halfway in-between somehow and lose the use of my rns-e (i assume i would have to send it out to get flashed with the newer method then)

i'd def like the new software and the new map dvd, just don't wanna risk it unless im sure you know?

thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You have to confirm first if your RNS-E is in real US mode or "fake" US mode. The NAVVER in Engineering Mode will tell you this. if it starts with V222 then you are fine and only need to reset the sofidx by channing channel 97. If it says V220 or V221 then it's still a Euro unit that has been patched to accept the US DVD. In this case you will need to create an update CD to make it a real US unit first, and then after resetting the sofidx insert the US DVD to get a real US unit. From there any future update will be automatic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i went into engineering mode and this is what i found...

System SW index: X---
HW index: H72
Map Database index: NN0409
HU/Navi SW version: V220057B
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version: A2220132-110505
Serial No: AUZB27F11362962

looks like i have half of a 222 update?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Correct, your RNS-E is still thinking it's a Euro unit. Take the 5 files from the US DVD and edit loading.kwi with UltraEdit or a similar hex editor. Change the first two occurences of V222 to V220 and change the version in between to 057C. Edit index.txt and change the NAVVER to V220057C. Create a CD, change channel 97 to 1 and insert the CD. Your RNS-E should see a version mismatch when comparing V220057B in memory and V220057C on the CD and start the update. Let it finish, then confirm channel 97 is still set to 1 and insert the original US DVD. Your RNS-E should update again, this time resetting the sofidx to 0110 and the version numbers in Engineering Mode should match the number in index.txt on the DVD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks again for your help. does it matter which version of the US dvd i use to do this?

and where you say "cd" i assume you mean the edited dvd (or do you really mean a cd with just those files?) thanks

AudiA4B6US said:
Correct, your RNS-E is still thinking it's a Euro unit. Take the 5 files from the US DVD and edit loading.kwi with UltraEdit or a similar hex editor. Change the first two occurences of V222 to V220 and change the version in between to 057C. Edit index.txt and change the NAVVER to V220057C. Create a CD, change channel 97 to 1 and insert the CD. Your RNS-E should see a version mismatch when comparing V220057B in memory and V220057C on the CD and start the update. Let it finish, then confirm channel 97 is still set to 1 and insert the original US DVD. Your RNS-E should update again, this time resetting the sofidx to 0110 and the version numbers in Engineering Mode should match the number in index.txt on the DVD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AudiA4B6US said:
It doesn't matter which US DVD you use as long as it's an unmodified DVD. And it's really only 5 files on a CD, check http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1573 for details on what files and how to modify them.
thats cool. so i can just wait until the 2007 dvd comes out and just modify it correct?

i think i may actually have the 1A dvd now and i was worried it wouldn't have 110 and i would lose bluetooth. but if its all the same which one i use, i'll just do the update when the 2007 comes out.

thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, if you use the software from the 1A DVD you will loose BT but any future update will be automatic. So you are probably right, wait for the 2007 and then do the clean up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
boochpsu said:
thanks again for your help. does it matter which version of the US dvd i use to do this?

and where you say "cd" i assume you mean the edited dvd (or do you really mean a cd with just those files?) thanks

AudiA4B6US said:
Thanks, these steps worked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same question as was initially asked in this thread and have the identical data in my engineering mode as boochpsu presented except my HW index is "H58" (not H72). Obviously the serial# is different as well.

System SW index: X---
HW index: H58
Map Database index: NN0409
HU/Navi SW version: V220057B
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version: A2220132-110505

I am currently using what I think is the 2A DVD (in the index.txt of the DVD it reads: SOFIDX:0110; NAVVER:V222023F; AUDVER:A2220132).

So my questions are:

1. Can I just insert the new 2007 (sw 0150) into my unit and will it automatically update or do I have to mess around with the coding?

2. Does the HW index have anything to do with this discussion and more generally what is the significance of this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
1. No, you will first need to convert your unit to real US mode (HU/Navi SW version: V222xxxx). As long as the Navi version starts with V220 the RNS-E is still in Euro mode.

2. The HW version has nothing to do with the steps required to convert a Euro unit to a US unit.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
audirb said:
So what is the significance of the HW index?
The higher the index the later the build date.

We cannot be more specific than that without having access to the records of the manufacturer, Aisin.

If someone had the time to compile a database/spreadsheet, we MIGHT be able to correlate HW versions with model years, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
AudiA4B6US, thanks for the directions above. I will getting my 2007 DVD any day and I had two questions regarding your steps:

1. What do you mean when you say "change channel 97 to 1"? How do you do this and where can you see what channel you are on?

2. What value should I expect channel 97 to be on before this process is started?

3. Should channel 97 remain on 1 even after this entire process is complete?

4. What would happen if an updated DVD (2007.1) is inserted in a system that needs the reprogramming you recommend but that hasn't yet had it done? Will it use the maps without the no software or will not accept the disk at all?

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts