Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, hi to all and thanks for running such a useful and informative forum :D

Now on to business. I've got an 8L A3 and am looking to retrofit RNS-E and am just about to buy the unit. I understand that A4 units are the best fit when trimmed down so I'm after one of those but having seen a few around with varying part numbers (i.e.: 8P0 035 192 *) I'm wondering what the difference between them is.

From reading around here am I correct in thinking that it's only the software in the unit that changes between units? And can this be upgraded? Are there any issues buying, say a D unit and putting the latest map disc in? Will that update itself quite happily?

Just wanna make sure I don't buy a unit and lock myself in to old firmware/software/maps etc. an be unable to upgrade :?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AlexA3Quattro said:
Firstly, hi to all and thanks for running such a useful and informative forum :D

Now on to business. I've got an 8L A3 and am looking to retrofit RNS-E and am just about to buy the unit. I understand that A4 units are the best fit when trimmed down so I'm after one of those but having seen a few around with varying part numbers (i.e.: 8P0 035 192 *) I'm wondering what the difference between them is.

From reading around here am I correct in thinking that it's only the software in the unit that changes between units? And can this be upgraded? Are there any issues buying, say a D unit and putting the latest map disc in? Will that update itself quite happily?

Just wanna make sure I don't buy a unit and lock myself in to old firmware/software/maps etc. an be unable to upgrade :?
Upgrading software is simply a matter of inserting the newer DVD.

There have been no reports of even the oldest units not accepting the very latest software.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about issues with VIM software?

For those of us with VIM unlocked using the software will upgrading from the 2006 to the 2007 disk cause any porblems?

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Re: What about issues with VIM software?

maskinut said:
For those of us with VIM unlocked using the software will upgrading from the 2006 to the 2007 disk cause any porblems?

Thanks, Sean
NO, if you don't change the region, VIM should remain unlocked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.