Audi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have spent a short amount of time reviewing the files and so far and would like to find collaborate if anyone else has begun looking into getting 575 running on older hardware. I think I've managed to sort out what needs to happen to get this going, but would like to get a technical discussion started.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
... but it will show you only Seat-garages instead of Audi-garages ...
Depends on the map disc in use - since the POIs are on the DVD not in the firmware.

Plus I could live with not having Audi garages on my sat nav, my warranty has expired and I use independent garages now which is saving my 50%+ on servicing costs, and they're listed in the booklet in the owners pack in the car!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

some new info about the 2010 rns-e: the displaytype is a LTA065B3D0F (Toshiba). This isn't the same type as it was in the elder rns-e (LTA065B091D). I could not yet find some specs to it, but I guess the resolution should be 832x496 pixels (formerly 400x234 pixels).

So the hardware looks different ... :-( Can anyone confirm this?

Greetings
Klaus

·
Registered
175 Posts
It would be nice if someone who has one of these can open the case and take some nice pictures for us to examine. I have been reviewing the files and it looks fairly straightforward to modify the update and load the software on older hardware, but it would be nice to see the hardware of the 2010 so we can check for any additional checks the update may be running against the hardware to decipher which version it is. In the past, it looks for either 222 or 220/221 to determine region then loads up LDM.bin which determines what files from the update are loaded onto the hardware. This does not appear to be any different and it looks as if the 575 update is determined by your current software being 574 or 575. Note that there are some additional checks that happen, but again I'd like to get an open technical discussion going before releasing all of my notes.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
... one more picture which shows the higher screenresolution ...
I noticed last week when I was retrofitting an RNS-E into a TT Mark 2 that the screen resolution appeared better and map area display larger (due to the increased resolution) than the RNS-E in my B7 RS4 version...

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was able to get some testing in this week and found that with my RNS-E starting at 0110 I was able to create an update with the 0260 ldr.bin completely removed and performed a few edits to trigger the 0575 updates ldr.bin. The unit rebooted and flashed successfully the 0260 software to my unit. I don't quite understand how this flash was possible since I thought that ldr.bin determined which software versions were installed to the unit?

Klaus: I'm not sure if this is useful to you or not, but I have extracted the 575 software from LOADING.KWI with a diff. from LOADING.KWI from just the 0260 software update and the new update containing both softwares. The diff made things fairly straightforward and simple to make the necessary changes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was able to get some testing in this week and found that with my RNS-E starting at 0110 I was able to create an update with the 0260 ldr.bin completely removed and performed a few edits to trigger the 0575 updates ldr.bin. The unit rebooted and flashed successfully the 0260 software to my unit. I don't quite understand how this flash was possible since I thought that ldr.bin determined which software versions were installed to the unit?

Klaus: I'm not sure if this is useful to you or not, but I have extracted the 575 software from LOADING.KWI with a diff. from LOADING.KWI from just the 0260 software update and the new update containing both softwares. The diff made things fairly straightforward and simple to make the necessary changes.
When you did the new flash update did you notice the differences on the RNS-E? Did you get time to check if the "new features and graphics" where in effect?

·
Registered
105 Posts
... Klaus: I'm not sure if this is useful to you or not, but I have extracted the 575 software from LOADING.KWI with a diff. from LOADING.KWI from just the 0260 software update and the new update containing both softwares. The diff made things fairly straightforward and simple to make the necessary changes.
Hi los93sol,

not sure what you mean, but it's not the problem to extract the modules of the loading.kwi or to arrange them into a new loading.kwi.
The problem will be the different hardware of the new 2010 navi units. I'm quite sure that the wrong update will turn the unit inoperable and these units are too expencive to try ...

Greetings
Klaus

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
No I have been attempting to get the new software loaded and thought I had stripped out the 0260 software altogether, but it somehow updated my unit from 0110 to 0260 which is the last update for the older hardware to this point.

Klaus: From what I have seen so far the loader in the RNS-E is pretty good at weeding out completely trashed updates. I've done quite some playing flashing some dangerous things to my unit and "knock on wood" it has always made a recovery on its own. I was trying awhile back to mix the audio portion of the software from the EU software with the nav portion of the software from the US without success, but my unit did complete several bad flashes in the process and hasn't bricked yet. Have you had other experiences leading you to believe they aren't saving a backup copy of the software to NVRAM for recovering after a bad flash?

·
Registered
105 Posts
... Have you had other experiences leading you to believe they aren't saving a backup copy of the software to NVRAM for recovering after a bad flash?
Hi los93sol,

I agree that the self recovery routines of the rns-e are very good. But it is definitively possible to brick the unit via flash update. We did this during our investigations for the vim hack. It always happens when the update routine tries to write behind the physical limit of a flash chip.

However, I will try to create an update with the 575 files and offer it to those of us who are fearless enougth to test it :)

Greetings
Klaus

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi folks,

I finished the first version of a modified 575 Update. It should be possible to load it onto a us rns-e. It could be necessary to set channel 97 to "1" to allow downgrade to
SOFIDX:0070NAVVER:V575100AAUDVER:A5750017

PLEASE REMEMBER: THIS HACK IS PROVIDED WITHOUT A GUARANTEE!!

I'm not boldly enough to test it myselve :) . I am nearly sure that it will not work well because of hardware differences!

However - good luck :)

Please report results ...

Greetings
Klaus

** Please email me for the link to the update files **

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi folks,

I finished the first version of a modified 575 Update. It should be possible to load it onto a us rns-e. It could be necessary to set channel 97 to "1" to allow downgrade to
SOFIDX:0070NAVVER:V575100AAUDVER:A5750017

PLEASE REMEMBER: THIS HACK IS PROVIDED WITHOUT A GUARANTEE!!

I'm not boldly enough to test it myselve :) . I am nearly sure that it will not work well because of hardware differences!

However - good luck :)

Please report results ...

Greetings
Klaus

** Please email me for the link to the update files **
Wow... let's the fun begin... :D :D
Waiting for a EU version....

41 - 60 of 171 Posts