Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Symphony radio came with a code card that I keep in my wallet. Just realized I didn't get one with my RNS-E. Is this normal? What happens if my battery dies or I take the unit out and need to sell it or reinstall it down the road - wouldn't I need the code in case the radio goes into theft mode?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you got a new Audi with the RNS-E factory installed you won't get and need the unlock code anymore. The RNS-E remembers the VIN/IMO code it gets from the instrument cluster and won't prompt you for the unlock code ever.

Now, if you sell your RNS-E, if you buy and RNS-E from another car or if you get the instrument cluster changed, in these case you need the unlock code. If you don't have that code, your dealer can look it up based on the RNS-E serial number and your VIN. Most dealers require the RNS-E being installed to do so, so that they just have to connect the VAS and check online what the correct code is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bought mine from PROXUS - didn't think to ask about the code. sending him an email now, but i must say that i'm not looking forward to having to drive down to the dealership and have him locate the code while i explain how i happened to get a euro version RNS-E in my car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frsherman said:
On the unit I got from Proxus the code was on a piece of tape on the side of the unit itself
right where you said it would be chief. thanks! quick question - is the first character usually a letter or number? can't figure out what Alex has down for the first character on mine.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Should all be numbers 0-9

These europeans have strange 1's and 7's

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Lee - I'll go that route once I install the unit. that's been moved up to this evening! feel like a kid - can't wait to play with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts