Audi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the CD and DVD Audi OEM navigation systems in my 2002 A4 (UK spec. with Chorus single DIN radio/cassette and the Audi factory glovebox changer).Bizarrely, I actually prefer the look of the older Navi-D system and it's half the price in the UK.

Obviously either option will involve changing to a double DIN chassis. I'm prepared for that.

If I go with Navi-D CD navigation....

- Is there a way to connect an auxilary audio input for an iPod? I'd like to have an iPod in the armrest and feed the music to the head unit, if possible I'd like to keep the glovebox CD changer too. I guess the video output of an iPod could drive a multimedia input adaptor but would I lose the CD changer?

- I have the basic DIS and already get radio and CD information displayed in the cluster, does this mean I don't need to buy a CAN/TMC gateway to get the navigation prompts displayed in the cluster. If I do need to by the CAN/TMC box then that would kill this option as they seen to be about the same prices as the unit itself, judging by ebay prices.

- Will the CD based system continue to be updated? When was the last updated?

If I go with RNS-E DVD navigation

- I have the red DIS, I've read that this doesn't work reliably with RNS-E, is this true? (upgrading to colour DIS is out of the question!)

Also, with either option, can I backup the navigation disk? I don't like using orignal CD's in the changer in case they get damaged and they only cost a tenner, I definately don't want to put my sole map disk in the car!

-Peter

·
Registered
996 Posts
some answers:

- Is there a way to connect an auxilary audio input for an iPod? I'd like to have an iPod in the armrest and feed the music to the head unit, if possible I'd like to keep the glovebox CD changer too. I guess the video output of an iPod could drive a multimedia input adaptor but would I lose the CD changer?

you can connect an ipod (audi and video) behind the RNS-D...but the ipod won't be controlled by the HU...just audio (and video) input.

- I have the basic DIS and already get radio and CD information displayed in the cluster, does this mean I don't need to buy a CAN/TMC gateway to get the navigation prompts displayed in the cluster. If I do need to by the CAN/TMC box then that would kill this option as they seen to be about the same prices as the unit itself, judging by ebay prices.

CAN/TMC gateway is needed for this. Read through the post on this forum for details. Start with quicklinks.

- Will the CD based system continue to be updated? When was the last updated?

Map updates vary by region. The last D-navi update in the US was January 2005.

If I go with RNS-E DVD navigation

- I have the red DIS, I've read that this doesn't work reliably with RNS-E, is this true? (upgrading to colour DIS is out of the question!)

shouldn't be an issue....assuming you have a digital clock...and not the analog version.

Also, with either option, can I backup the navigation disk? I don't like using orignal CD's in the changer in case they get damaged and they only cost a tenner, I definately don't want to put my sole map disk in the car!

possibly. Additional hardware might be needed.

Bottom-line:
It depends what you want from an upgrade Audi navigation headunit. If you just want simple navigation...then the RNS-D is a good choice. If you want to add other multi-media devices down the road...then the RNS-E is a better "platform" to work from.

I've had both in my 2001 C5 A6 avant...and honestly, the RNS-E is much easier to install (no TMC/CAN needed for info on the cluster). If you are planning to upgrade to the double din...then I would go with the RNS-E.

Lots of great install posts in quicklinks to read. I would start there.

Good luck!
-ted

1 - 2 of 2 Posts