Audi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am running into a couple of problems. I went to program the RNS-E with my trusty old VAG-COM and received error "controller uses unknown protocol! Protocol Keyword:EF8F" Being that I was using Beta .78 version of the VAG, I thought it was a good idea to download the latest version. But this did not help either. It attempts to connect to the controller a couple of times (15 seconds or so) and gives error "Too many errors to continue!" I am using the old iso-com interface, and I am wondering if that is the issue. Anyone run into this problem? Also my rear speakers don't appear to be working properly, but I think that may be because the correct platform is not selected.
your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It always helps to know what car you have . If it has dual 'K' lines, then you will have problems. The newer USB adapters are better all around. You can usually sell your old cable too.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
The RNS-E only has built-in amplifiers for the front speakers - the rear speakers must be connected to an external amplifier.

Without knowing what car you have we can't really help too much!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is this a difference between older and newer cars? I had never heard that you had to put in an external amplifier for the rear speakers. As a matter of fact doesn't Bose symphony sound system have an external amplifier ? Maybe there is a problem with my wiring harness? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If the RNS-E is coded for Bose, it's only using the pre-out. if it's coded for non-Bose, it's using the build-in amplifier for the front speaker and the pre-out for the rear speakers. There are also some Audi models with a non-Bose active speaker system but I think those are using the high level speaker out instead of the pre-out.

Do you have something connected to connector A (8 pin)? Do you have the Bose pin (Connector B, pin 7) wired? Do you have the fader not set to front only? ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I know the fader is set correctly heheh.
I have to check all that on my wiring harness, I figured it would be all correct since everything esle is working so beatifully. Do you know what platform I would use for coding rns-e for my car?

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73

I wonder if this could be an issue. The only think that is not connected is another antenna looking connection from my Symphony I and a ground that was connected to the back of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update! Upgraded my cable and software and now I am somewhat able to code my radio. The bose setting seems to fix the rear speaker issue. But, I am still unable to code some settings. for example, I can not select english (US) and am not able to set the hemisphere. Channel 010 is gives and error. I am wondering if this is an issue with the Euro version, if it only has UK english as an option. Obviously only northern hemisphere applies to EU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about the DIS, steering wheel controls and changer? I too have a Euro RNS-E model going into a US A6. Hoping to get everything to work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DIS and changer work, steering controls I don't know because my car does not have it but have not heard any complain about it not working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts