Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of days I've been looking into GPS antennas that double up as tax disc holders. These are primarily for the UK market. I've made a search of this forum but can't see anything posted about them before.

For those that don't live in the UK, over here all owners of vehicles who drive on the public road have to display a tax disc (aka Road Fund Licence) which runs for either 6 or 12 months. They're a bit like the tags American owners have to stick on their licence plates.

The disc has to be displayed on the front windscreen, which obviously happens to be a good place for receiving GPS signals. Here's a pic of one such product:

My question is, has anyone used anything like this before, either with their RNS-E or other sat nav unit? If you take a look at this website, you can see the normal GPS antenna used with the RNS-E next to the tax disc GPS antenna, and the technical details appear to be the same, so could I assume the holder would connect to the RNS-E?

I'm very interested in this, because if it worked I'm certain you'd get much better reception than with an antenna inside the dashboard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to update my original post, I've exchanged a couple of emails with the vendor of the product above (click the link in the post above to see their website) and they reckon can they can supply the tax disc holder antenna with a fakra connector for the RNS-E.

I'm waiting for confirmation of this, as well as a price, and if it's good I'll go ahead and order one. I assume from the lack of responses that no-one here has bought one before, but this could still be an interesting development!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tax disc antenna arrived this morning, for 32 GBP delivered. As they promised, G-Com, the vendor, has attached a fakra adapter to the end of the lead so I should be all set.

Basically, the fake leather "pouch" which you can see in the picture above, houses a small antenna in the middle. There's also a slightly shorter cable than I have with the current antenna too, which means it'll be tidier as well as lower signal loss through the flex (I've read this can be a problem).

As a bonus, my current cheapo tax disc holder keeps falling off the screen, but this one comes with an adhesive backing! :D

Will fit it at the weekend and post back some more information with pictures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi....

you still been getting a poor gps signal then ???
or just bought this to make a tidy job and less wires etc.....

Let us know how it goes and if it improves your GPS signal...

Cheers
Clive

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a3moo said:

Cheers
Clive
I'm getting a fairly decent signal; right now, the antenna is on top of the glovebox and the RNS-E navigates well. Average is between 3-5 satellites, but with sharkfin owners reporting a steady 7-9, I'm keen to get the same.

The sharkfin would be ideal since it's supplied by Audi from new, but OE ones are expensive and I'm not keen on cutting the roof. When I had my current antenna out on top of the dash temporarily, I was getting great reception and I think this tax disc antenna will do the trick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
benw123 said:
a3moo said:

Cheers
Clive
I'm getting a fairly decent signal; right now, the antenna is on top of the glovebox and the RNS-E navigates well. Average is between 3-5 satellites, but with sharkfin owners reporting a steady 7-9, I'm keen to get the same.

The sharkfin would be ideal since it's supplied by Audi from new, but OE ones are expensive and I'm not keen on cutting the roof. When I had my current antenna out on top of the dash temporarily, I was getting great reception and I think this tax disc antenna will do the trick.

Strange you only get 3-5 , i have only postioned my gps in the small gap above the rns-e and pushed it into the front of the dashboard as far as my hand would reach..... I get averge 6-9 Sats,,, lowest i ever had is 5...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a3moo said:
Strange you only get 3-5 , i have only postioned my gps in the small gap above the rns-e and pushed it into the front of the dashboard as far as my hand would reach..... I get averge 6-9 Sats,,, lowest i ever had is 5...
I'm actually wondering if my antenna has a fault or something, because even when it was out on top of the dashboard it never saw more than 6-7 satellites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed the new antenna yesterday and it's fab - constant 8 satellites! What impresses most is that it's not just the number of satellites it can receive, more how constant it can see them. Previously, with the small antenna, the display would change every few seconds as signals were found and lost.

Anyway, this is what G-Com sent me:

Note the short cable and the correct connector - I had to request this. It matches the blue hook-up on the back of the RNS-E perfectly. The white paper covers the adhesive backing.

This is what the tax disc holder looks like once in place:

If you look carefully at the bottom of the holder, there's a small wire running to the bottom of the screen. I routed this behind the A-pillar trim back to the side of the dashboard, next to the glovebox (my car is RHD and the disc holder is sited on the left of the screen, out of the driver's line of sight).

I'll obviously keep a check on its reception, but for now this is a worthwhile product - certainly for UK drivers - as it's easy to install, has great reception and is a neat disc holder too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts