Audi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the RNS-E will work with a TV tuner... and if so can I use my older Nav + D Tv tuner I think its type B part number 4DO 919 146B and also do I need a different adapter or do I just use the old adapter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to work this one out myself, I have the ENS-E and an old B tuner, a new cable assembly, but it doesn't seem to work, I can't talk to it over the canbus, RNS just says it's not there.

I would be grateful for the in outs of the 54 pin connector on the tuner module to help me check the wiring loom I have.

Craig

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It would help if you post the part number ofr the TV tuner you are trying to connect. As far as I know, all previous tuners do not work with the new RNS-E. You have to have a new tuner which talks over CAN with the RNS-E. Again, having the part number would help to do more research...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Exactly what I thought, I will check my part number now with VAG.

Same tuner as above

4D0 919 146 B

It's a B tuner as far as I know, so I guess it wont work.

Craig

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this is the case, that we need new TV tuners for potential RNS-E upgrades, then why do companies like Kufatec sell leads that allow you to connect your RNS-E to the existing B tuners like the ones listed above.

Seems like a con to me, unless either we or Kufatec are mistaken.

Craig

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Not protecting Kufatec (I'm still waiting on my adapters to arrive), but they say that their TV harness (http://shop.kufatec.de/product_info.php/cPath/47_50/products_id/203) connects the original TV tuner part no. 4D0 919 146C with the RNS-E. If your tuner is a 4D0 919 146C I would assume that you can connect that device to an RNS-E.

They also sell a hardness for the old Navi Plus and VW MFD which connects TV Tuner 4D0 919 146 B with the RNS-D (the old RNS-D is usually referenced as Navi Plus or Navi+ while the new DVD navigation system is usually referenced as RNS-E or DVD Navi).

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I need to source the C version, if that is the case the lead that Kufatec sell is valid for that tuner only and not the B tuner which has the same 54 pin connector.

Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
The TV-tuners for the "old" navi use Bosch CAN-bus as the RNS 4 navi does.

The TMC-box translates the Bosch CAN-signals to "Audi CAN" for the display.

As the RNS E talks "proper " CAN it cant talk to the TV-tuner.

Bent

littlebudha said:
Does anyone know if the RNS-E will work with a TV tuner... and if so can I use my older Nav + D Tv tuner I think its type B part number 4DO 919 146B and also do I need a different adapter or do I just use the old adapter.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Got my new TV tuner today 4D0 919 146 C

Just tested it and yep, it works a treat with the RNS-E

Will be wiring that up this weekend

Craig

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
German Ebay, there have been 3 on there so far

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well yes I'm a 100% certain it's a C version.

3 reasons....

1. I can read the number on the label and also VAG tells me its a C
2. I had a B version originally and it didn't work with the RNS-E
3. The new one does work.

Pretty conclusive I would say.

All the others on ebay have gone and I've deleted them from my watch list etc...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4537199695

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well yes I'm a 100% certain it's a C version.

3 reasons....

1. I can read the number on the label and also VAG tells me its a C
2. I had a B version originally and it didn't work with the RNS-E
It's a C version!!!!
did you pay only 129 €?! It's a very good price.
I tried to look for another C version, but i just found a very expensive one: 399 €.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21646&item=4545538857&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V
Could you help me to find something cheaper in the next time?

Can you see Tv while you drive?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yes I paid 129 euros for my TV, a very good deal indeed. But I paid another 75 for the caboe, which I don't actually need as I adapted the old 10 pin round plug to the RNS-E 32 pin.

Here's the deal, as I have an S8 and an A6 RNS-E, it has speed pulse or GALA, so the old trick of cutting the GALA wire works with the RNS-E and you get TV in motion, but your Satnav has no speed pulses.

Now if I switch the RNS-E to think its in an A4 or A3, TV in motion stops working as my car sends speed pulse over can bus and TV stops after 5mph.

So I've worked out a few things

In A6 mode you can turn on TV in motion with a switch. (very handy)
In A4 mode, it reads speed pulse over can which we thought wasn't available.
I would need a Dietz TV in motion adaptor to run in A4 mode and watch TV.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For my NAV+ I installed a latched relay kit and used a factory switch in an unused spot on the dash. Works great.

David

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yep, thats exactly what I have, I did this to my RNS-D and now it works with the RNS-E as well, so result for me, I get videos and games from my Xbox in the boot to the RNS-E widescreen.

Result.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts