1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
can you do screen shots while in video mode? :wink:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The video screen is an overlay picture, you can't store the pictures on SD card (all you get is a black screen).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been looking at aftermarket tv tuners (I know yours is the OEM one), but it's difficult to determine how good they are. I haven't found reviews for them anywhere, anyone have recommendations on good aftermarket TV Tuners that integrate well witht he RNS-E? Also, curious to know how good the reception is with the OEM tv tuner...

·
Registered
104 Posts
los93sol said:
I've been looking at aftermarket tv tuners (I know yours is the OEM one), but it's difficult to determine how good they are. I haven't found reviews for them anywhere, anyone have recommendations on good aftermarket TV Tuners that integrate well witht he RNS-E? Also, curious to know how good the reception is with the OEM tv tuner...
Get one off ebay that accepts additional A/V inputs, a reverse camera input and (this is a must) diversity antennas. I've calculated this so here are your prices...

Standalone TV Tuner: $100
Diversity antennas: $40
Dietz 1417 & 1280: $460 (or you could get the other part from navparts.com for $420)

--TOTAL-- ~$600

Is it really worth $600???? I had TV in my last car and it was worth every penny at the time. But if you're spending $600 JUST for TV capabilities then the cost-benefit goes out of whack, especially on a lease like the one I have.

TV's are as good as the antennas you use. Be SURE to purchase a standalone tuner that accepts diversity tuner inputs. Get a very good set of powered diversity antennas - this will make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the diversity antennas. The OEM system uses the four diversity antennas on the rear window and the reception is VERY good. It picks up channels that I never even knew about. Of course the picture is much more stable if the car is not moving.

Any TV system you get will be expensive. However, the money is yours and only you can decide whether or not it is worth spending on this. I obviously thought it was worth the money, but if I had to buy these OEM parts new then I would not have done it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1) Can you use teh same dietz thing for dvd?
2) Can you watch tv moving?
3) Do you get cable channels? or is it just regular public rcap (which means i'd get channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 in NY and that's it? ABC, CBS, UPN, WB, NBC)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
ejc2008 said:
3) Do you get cable channels? or is it just regular public rcap (which means i'd get channel 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 in NY and that's it? ABC, CBS, UPN, WB, NBC)
1) Yes.

2) either by getting your RNS-E coded for TV-in-motion (see posts in the For Sale forum), or by adding a Dietz 1280.

3) No - cable channels are not transmitted, they are distributed via cable (and you don't have a cable connected to your car!).

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ejc2008 said:
This is not Dietz, this is OEM Audi. This system already has two A/V inputs so there is no need for Dietz anything.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Unrelated question: If you press the upper or lower left MMI button to select a function, does the LED in the button actually light up (as with radio or MP3 or so)? Or does the button stay dark but the screen shows that corner being activated?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The left side soft keys do NOT light up when in use with the TV tuner. Only the right side keys light up for Source and Sound menus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.