Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows how to install RNS-E in a 2009 Audi TT? Cant seem to find any installation guide and I heard installation might be a pain since I have a BOSE system.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Anyone knows how to install RNS-E in a 2009 Audi TT? Cant seem to find any installation guide and I heard installation might be a pain since I have a BOSE system.
Don't know where you heard that, because the installation with Bose is still very easy.

On a 2009 TT you will have a II+ radio that is double DIN, yes?

To retrofit an RNS-E you:
1) remove the radio,
2) move the Bose wire from pin B5 to B7 on the Quadlock connector (that's the extra part if you have Bose, not a pain I reckon?),
3) mount the GPS hockey puck antenna either in the instrument cowl or underneath the dash above the glovebox,
4) connect up and recode the RNS-E and the CAN gateway using VCDS,
5) slide the RNS-E into place.

If you have an Aux in connection then you will need to move the Aux in wires from the Quadlock (B1, B3 & B7) into a new connector that plugs in to the AV connection of the RNS-E.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much for your help:) I think they must be referring to changing the pin that you mentioned on the quadlock connector from pin B5 to B7. Do you mind elaborating to me what that means as I have no idea what it is..

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Do you mind elaborating to me what that means as I have no idea what it is..
The main connector on the back of the RNS-E is a square with four separate parts and a locking latch - hence why it is called a Quadlock.

Each part is referred to by a letter A thru D.

The B part has 12 pins in two rows of 6, so the pins are called B1 thru B12.

There is a paper label on the top of the RNS-E that lists the function of each used pin.

On the RNS-E the Bose pin is B7 but on the II+ radios it is B5.

So you need to slide the B connector out of the Quadlock (by releasing the locking latch), then slide out the plastic locking bar and using a fine screwdriver (or other small tool) disengage the locking latch on the actual B5 pin so that you can pull the pin out using the wire - gently! Then you push the pin back into the B7 slot, replace the plastic locking bar and click the B connector back into the Quadlock.

Takes longer to describe than to do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts