Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have the the following pieces but combined with my inability to read German directions on my CD Changer harness instructions, and the fact that the RNS-E Harness shown in Figure 1 does not allow me to insert the pin connectors nore does it have the male pins in the receiving harness, provided by Ralf, I believe. Anyways I have included a picture of the harness cable, Figure 2, I received from Clairparts some time back for the CD Changer and as you can see the pin connectors are already inserted into the three color connectors. While looking at the image instructions on the paper included it appears that I am to insert those pins into the back of the Nav+ unit however If I do I will first need to remove some pins from the connector and also if I input the new wires into connector already in the car they have nothing to match into. Therefore I am thinking I need to have new pin connector wires from the female connector to the back of Nav+. Sorry for the confusing wording but I am just having a hell of a time understanding this. If anyone can contribute and let me know what I need to purchase or look for please chime in. Thanks in advance all!

Figure 1

Figure 2

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The CD changer harness you got is for a Symphony/Concert head unit. The 3 piece connector (yellow/green/blue) should fit in one of the connectors on the RNS-E adapter. However, you have most likely already such a plug in your car from your existing Symphony connector. There are multiple things to consider, sat radio is one of them.

If I'm not mistaken, the CD changer wires should be in the blue part of the 3 piece connector. You will need to remove the wires using a special tool (Ted was talking about this tool several times) or a paper clip which you insert to unlock the wires and remove them. Before removing, note the exact position because you will need to put them back in the right order.

On your existing Symphony II connector you may have a single piece connector, or a 3 piece connector. Same number of pins though. If you have sat radio you will already have some of the pins used (3 actually for audio left/right/gnd).

If you don't use sat radio you can remove these wires and insert all the pins from your CD changer harness. If you do use sat radio you will need to insert all wires except for audio left/right/gnd. These three wires will need to go back to the sat receiver to allow proper switching between both audio sources. The sat receiver actually has an audio through for the CD changer or any other device which emulates a CD changer. I don't know whether or not Audi pre-wired a CD changer in cars which have the Symphony with sat radio. If you are lucky you will find some wires behind the head unit which go back to the sat receiver and where you can insert the three remaining pins from your CD changer.

Not many have written about retrofitting a CD changer (or similar) with sat radio and the RNS-E. But it would be great if you would post your expiriences so that others don't have to research this again.

Godd luck.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It would also help if you woul dpost a picture of your RNS-E adapter. Makes it easier to see what you got and what is missing. The Kufatec adapter shown above has the CD changer pins in the red connector if I'm not mistaken. But then it's a non-Bose adapter because it has the speaker wires too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dirk, thanks a lot for the responses. It was key knowing I am to toally remove those three pins from the existing 20 pin connector already built into the car. I do not use SAT radio so install should go smoothly. And boy let me tell you, those pins are certainly difficult to remove I have attempted to remove them on several occasions for carious things and the task is not easy. My local buddy at Audi is going to let me barrow the tool to tackle it. As long as I know that the pins are to come out of the stock harness I should be set, but I'm still confused as to why the receving connector, which I will post, does not have the pins to match to it to relay the signal to the RNS-E itself. I am assuming I do not have a harness prewired for teh CD Changer even though I requested it at time of purchase. If that is the case I will most likely have to purchase new harness. Anyways I will try to post images tomorrow mid day. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated not only to me but all others. =)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, I have seen many RNS-E adapters without the CDC or phone wires. The CDC wires are in the blue piece in the Quadlock adapter, phone is in the green piece. If you don't have those pieces you don't have the wires for CDC (or SAT/IPOD/PBOX) and/or phone. One option would be to get the OEM CDC harness for the RNS-E which should be available in the US.

I have seen a CDC/Phone kit on the Kufatec pages, might be useful as reference for what you need: CDC Quadlock kit

Just for reference, these are the components in the Quadlock connector:
Black: Power and other signals
Brown: Speaker out (high, front only)
Blue: CD-changer
Green: Phone

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I guess I have some things to figure out here. Is there anyone out there who has successfully installed the CDC with Euro Nav+?

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
German Driver said:
Alright I guess I have some things to figure out here. Is there anyone out there who has successfully installed the CDC with Euro Nav+?
My CDC (an 8E0 057 111 C) works with my Symphony II but not with my EU RNS-E.

Despite lots of posts here, the problem still remains.

In my case it appears the CD Data Out from the RNS-E is not being recognised by the CDC - CD Clock & CD Data In must be OK because the RNS-E display indicates whether a CD slot is empty or not. But the CD doesn't spin up so the "Audio CD" message doesn't appear and the CD cannot be selected to play.

I suspect I have a faulty RNS-E because not only have I followed all the advice given here (thanks to all) but I have also checked the wiring many. many times now. I hope to prove this next month when I can borrow another EU RNS-E.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have installed Euro RNS-E and my car came with a CDC in the glovebox from the factory. When I installed the RNS-E, I bought the adapter from Kufatec and then just plugged in the existing cables to this adapter. Everything works perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
lt8x7 said:
I have installed Euro RNS-E and my car came with a CDC in the glovebox from the factory. When I installed the RNS-E, I bought the adapter from Kufatec and then just plugged in the existing cables to this adapter. Everything works perfectly.
Which is why I think I have a faulty RNS-E.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts