Audi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a 2018 Audi Q5 two years ago. Mileage is less than 14K and it has the platinum 10 year warranty. It runs great and is fun to drive. Since the last oil change it has been driven 900 miles. After being contacted by my local Audi dealership I returned for a required oil change. Soon after dropping it off I was contacted and told there was an issue with the battery and it required replacement. At the time of the previous oil change I was told the tires had uneven wear and rotation was needed. Of course, these two issues are not covered in the warranty. I feel the dealership makes sure to find something the car needs that I must pay for. Are there any issues that might happen that would indicate a faulty battery? Has anyone had the same experience? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
52 Posts
Several miscellaneous comments: 1) check your paperwork very carefully about the "platinum 10 year warranty" - my hunch is this is just a supplemental insurance program sold by your particular dealer, from an independent insurance company. Possibly the kind of companies that are robo-calling everyone telling us our "warrantees are expiring". And likely totally unconnected to Audi USA. It's impossible to say whether your particular warranty is any good without reading the fine print and knowing the insurance company source. 2) oil changes depend on the passage of time, not just miles driven. Your Q5 needs a new oil change every 12 months - but it can easily be done more cheaply somewhere other than a dealer. 3) at least for myself, the only battery issue I check on is the internal water level, which in my climate and my typical driving regimen needs just a tiny dab of added water (1 tsp?) in a cell or two every couple years. And, of course, when the battery won't hold charge well enough to start the car, then I buy a new battery. This also does not have to happen at a dealer. A trickle charger connected in parallel during a battery swap should preserve all the stored radio presets, seat positions, etc. 4) 14,000 miles are certainly enough to unevenly wear the tires, and rotation is a good response to fix that. Again, doesn't have to be done at a dealer, other places definitely could be cheaper. All in all, your dealer sounds like they are opportunistic in their profit-making, but not outright highway robbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts