Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a software developer, and since the RNS-E won't play MP3 files with names longer than 64 characters, I was thinking about writing a quick app that will analyze a folder tree and show you the file name lengths/file path lengths, and the total number of files and folders.

Before I waste my time writing this, has anyone seen a freeware tool that will do this? If I do end up writing this I'll post a link to it. Feel free to make suggestions/feature requests.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Filename length is not the only factor that prevents an RNS-E playing an MP3.

The RNS-E has a larger list of "banned" characters than e.g. MS Windows. For example, the pling character (!) is valid in an MSDOS/Windows filename but NOT in an RNS-E filename - as I found when I ripped an album called "Live In Cuba!" and the RNS-E wouldn't play the files until I removed the pling. AFAIK there are other characters that are valid in MSDOS buit not in an RNS-E.

You might like to consider making your utility check for these illegal characters too?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Below is a link to a beta version of Path Analyzer, a quickly written tool designed to anaylze MP3 file names on SD cards before playing them on the RNS-E. This is not complete, but I wanted to get comments/feedback before I spend much time on this.

http://www.optimumx.com/download/PathAnalyzer_Beta.zip

The purpose of this tool is to make it easier to find MP3 files that will not be displayed (or played) by the RNS-E. On page 37 of my Operating Instructions guide (v5.05 261.562.729.21) it states "The file/folder name must not exceed a maximum of 64 characters in length. Files with longer file/folder names are not played." It also states "The maximum number per medium is limited to 400 files and 256 folders". :cry:

PetrolDave reported files not being played with certain characters, such as !. This may depend on firmware version, because my RNS-E had no problems playing MP3 files with these characters in the file and/or folder name:
~`[email protected]#$%^()_-+={[}];'.,

The MP3 files I used for testing these characters can be downloaded here (81MB):
http://www.optimumx.com/download/TestFileNames.zip

System Requirements for PathAnalyzer.exe:
- Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0, which is available as a free download (23MB):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5

- The executable must run from a local hard drive (running it from a network drive will probably fail due to default security settings on the .NET Framework).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great program.
How about adding a feature that trim the filelenght if its to long too? And maybe change the filename in the playlist files made by rns-e mp3 manager too?

·
Registered
103 Posts
HotSpot said:
Great program.
How about adding a feature that trim the filelenght if its to long too? And maybe change the filename in the playlist files made by rns-e mp3 manager too?
The RNS-E MP3 Manager software automatically trims filenames that exceed 64 characters. It does this by taking the first 28 characters of the filename, adds 4 underscores "____" and then the last 28 characters. This leaves four characters free for the ".mp3" extension. Note that it only does this when transferring the tracks to the SD card.

However, it does not have any validation for characters outside the regular 26-letter alphabet - I will add this into the next release.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i_am_from_austria said:
very cool sw :) thanks
it would be fine, if there is possibility to sort the result or a button to show only the files which exceed the limits
Great suggestions, sorry I didn't see them sooner. I added both features and posted a new version, same URL as before:
http://www.optimumx.com/download/PathAnalyzer_Beta.zip

Screenshot:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HotSpot said:
Great program.
Good suggestions, but I'm not ready to turn this into a file management tool yet. I'll reconsider if I get more feedback on it, but for now I just want a tool to show me the files that will be ignored by the RNS-E. I'll leave the renaming to the operating system, or the MP3 Manager by benw123. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.