Audi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i discovered today that my XM works without buying that unit everyone is talking about.

This is what I discovered. For $hits and Grins I decided to click on Band and switch over to XM to see what would happen. To my surprise XM is playing the comedy channel. The last channel I was listening to on the old radio when i switched over to RNS-E unit. So I try to see if I can switch channels and I get the initializing screen.

I then get a message saying that this unit or car (forgot the verbage) has the capabilities of XM and to contact Audi. So when I pressed the action button I briefly see the channels then it dissapears and goes back to initializing.

ok, so I saw a thread about this regarding that XM works without buying that adaptor or new XM unit. What was done. I tried to search for the XM serial number but when I do that on the setup it doesnt list it.

Does this mean, for some mysterious reasons XM works but in only one channel and i cant change it. Or do you have to do something in VAG for it to work.

Mind you I havent VAG'd the car yet as I'm waiting for my VAG tool tomorrow. So right now my NAV doesnt show on the cluster.

your input or a link to that other thread about XM is greatly appriciated.

cheers,

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You cannot control a first generation SAT receiver with the RNS-E but you will be able to listen to the last selected station. You won't be able to change the station until you upgrade the receiver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah...

noob question here. where could i find the OE reciever?

the question now is... did i really like XM or should I save the money and spend it on other mods :? like the module that allows me to play dvds on the screen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, i should have been more clear in my previous statement.

i'm assuming i'm going to need to replace the reciever i have now on the car. Where can i find this reciever to replace it with the new one.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It's located in the trunk..under the left panel. You will need to remove whole side panel to get to it but it's not complicated...just annoing :twisted:

When you will get to it just unplug the old Tuner and get new XM for RNS-E
Audi part # 8E0 035 593 E. Month or two ago dealer sent me info that I can buy new unit for $350. They had some kind of promotion from AOA. Not sure if they still do but doesn't hurt to ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts