Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gone back and forth on whether to get the factory Bluetooth module for my S4's RNS-E. I'm definitely a serious gadget freak and like the idea of the full integration, but at $700+, it's hard to justify for hands-free phone in the car when a $50 borg earpiece will do the same general thing (and not look as out of place as, for example, a portable nav system all the time).

Anyway, it just so turns out that I have some extra discretionary income that's burning a hole in my pocket right now and the Bluetooth module is probably the #1 candidate for it. However, when I think of the cost, I realize that I could get a PS3 (whenever I can find one, that is), HD-DVD player for my X360, ~40" HDTV for the bedroom, round-trip flight to Europe, quick junket to Vegas, etc., for about the same cost or less. As a result, I'm trying to justify it to myself vs. the other options.

So for starters, let me make sure that it'll do what I want given my current phone. I have a Verizon Palm Treo 650. I've read that the Treo 650 in general is fine, but I also know that Verizon tends to cripple the Bluetooth functionality of their phones a little bit. I think the only limitation that I've read about is that you can only transfer contacts from your quick dial list onesy-twosy and not from the entire contacts list which is probably fine with me anyway. Any info from folks using the Verizon Treo 650 with the Audi Bluetooth module?

Also on that topic, I can imagine that a constant Bluetooth link would tax the battery a bit. How are folks keeping their phones charged while linked on longer trips? There's no power power in the armrest, and I hate the idea of having an exposed cable by the shifter when I want to do that. Any tips there?

The last question is the big one, of course. For those of you who have the Bluetooth module, was it worth the expense? Is the voice quality decent? What are the must have features of it that justify the cost vs. a good headset?

Thanks in advance for any insights,
Scott

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Voice quality is awesome and it is the best car kit I have ever heard. However, if you're having this much trouble trying to justify the expense, then I suggest you don't do it. The 650 works okay, but it only syncs up the "quick dial" list, not the entire contact list.

Personally I love the system even if I go days at a time without using it at all. But again, it seems to me that you don't think it is worth $700+ and I don't think you will change your mind after it is installed if you are still on the fence about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So between NSX JR's reply and just thinking out loud about getting the Bluetooth module, I pretty much convinced myself to do it. I pulled the trigger earlier. I'll post up impressions once it's installed for anyone who is interested.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I installed one in my B6 A4. I have verizon and the tre0 650. NSX JR is right. You have to setup your speel dials manually on the treo then they will be a vailable on your RNS-E.

Now's my opportunity to solicate. I just sold my A4 and took out the BT. I have it for sale. $450 which includes the harness, microphone, antenna, and module.

You can have a look here:

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4194

PM me if you are interested.

-- Craig

·
Registered
996 Posts
ScottWells said:
So between NSX JR's reply and just thinking out loud about getting the Bluetooth module, I pretty much convinced myself to do it. I pulled the trigger earlier. I'll post up impressions once it's installed for anyone who is interested.
Peer pressure....at it best. You can't beat the oem integration. Clean and neat.

:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll add my 12 pence worth as well :) I recently used a Kufatec kit (no problems ever with supply from them) with the cradle + amplifier and a real old antique Motorola V600. Integration and quality is, as Lee and Ted say, superb. This is the best implemented car phone system I have seen. Very user friendly. Where I get 2 out of 5 signal strength with the phone in bluetooth mode, the cradle gives me 5 out of 5 - (I wanted connectivity above all, in my case I have less use for inbuilt phone functionality - others have different needs.). You really need MFSW to get the best out of it. Very interested to hear your impressions.

It is possible to remove and dismantle the centre armrest to house the Audi cradle (or a aftermarket charging only unit) and hide the associated cables completely out of site within the armrest - you may have to drill one hole, but this is only visible from inside the armrest, the location is covered by the outside trim. I do not have photo's of what I did, but I can PM details to you if you are interested.

Trust the install goes well, and I wish you, and all other readers, a very Happy Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, it's installed. Spent about 2.5 hours doing it on Saturday, though I think I could do another in half that time at worst. Part of it was just making sure things were being run properly (particularly the mic cable between the map lights themselves and the cover/mount), etc.

So overall I'm VERY impressed. In fact, I really only have one complaint, namely that the Bluetooth module and the navigation module aren't integrated such that you can have it dial the phone number of a nav POI for you like you can in other systems. The integration into the car is seamless, though, and the audio quality is much better than expected. I'd put it on par with a very high quality speaker phone both in the car and for the person on the other end. The pairing with my phone was brain-dead easy and the contacts synchronized over just fine. I love being able to browse the contacts on the DIS, and the voice recognition works perfectly.

Having had hesitations about the expense vs. the final product when I started this thread, I would now recommend this to anyone interested in Bluetooth for their Audi without reservation. The car feels "complete" now, and I'm in (to quote Dilbert) Nerdvana when I'm in the car.

Thanks to all who encouraged and BIG thanks to Lee for the perfect kit, great install instructions, and constant help over email the whole time!

·
Registered
996 Posts
sweet. With the MFSW, you really can't go wrong. I just installed one in a 2002 C5 4.2 (w/MFSW) last night...and the control via the MFSW is superb. This customer of mine had me install:
- RNSE
- OEM Sirius (integrated with trunk CD changer)
- OEM BT (located in trunk)
- new domelight/mic panel
(all parts courtesy of Lee Hicks/NSXJr)

Roughly $3K worth of electronics etc....but cheaper than going out and buying a new car...to get all this new oem functionality.

I agree, the POI/dialing is a bummer...but maybe that will be corrected with new firmware....I hope....the thought of making restaurant reservations or booking a Tee time on the go ....is clutch!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.