Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing around in engineering mode today and I don't remember which radio test menu it was in (there's only three so...lol!), but I noticed the screen appeared to have both tuners and stats about them, the one that was locked onto a station said TMC: 1 to the far right, and the one that was scanning kept changing between TMC: 1 and TMC: 0 on different frequencies. I assume TMC is in fact TMC info the RNS-E is picking up over RDS, and that the reason the second tuner kept changing between 0 and 1 was because not all stations broadcast TMC over RDS and some stations don't even broadcast RDS here yet. Now I'm wondering to myself...if this is in fact TMC and not just RDS, does anyone have additional information about this? How does the RNS-E in countries where TMC is active determine how it gets it's TMC info? Does it work off standard RDS? Could the backend code for TMC already be in the US firmware and just disabled somewhere?

·
Registered
103 Posts
los93sol said:
I was playing around in engineering mode today and I don't remember which radio test menu it was in (there's only three so...lol!), but I noticed the screen appeared to have both tuners and stats about them, the one that was locked onto a station said TMC: 1 to the far right, and the one that was scanning kept changing between TMC: 1 and TMC: 0 on different frequencies. I assume TMC is in fact TMC info the RNS-E is picking up over RDS, and that the reason the second tuner kept changing between 0 and 1 was because not all stations broadcast TMC over RDS and some stations don't even broadcast RDS here yet. Now I'm wondering to myself...if this is in fact TMC and not just RDS, does anyone have additional information about this? How does the RNS-E in countries where TMC is active determine how it gets it's TMC info? Does it work off standard RDS? Could the backend code for TMC already be in the US firmware and just disabled somewhere?
In the UK at least, TMC is indeed transmitted via RDS. Here, there's a national station called Classic FM that seems to be the biggest broadcaster of TMC messages, but as you say, not all stations transmit it.

To the best of my knowledge, when an RDS-equipped receiver is tuned to a station, it will read the station name, programme type etc. and display it. However, the receiver will also scan the FM band for more RDS information, more commonly to find traffic information (marked as TP on the RNS-E) and automatically break your currently-tuned station or own music to show it. I think it's this extra scanning that's also used to pick the TMC messages, because I never listen to Classic FM (!) and yet after around 10-15 minutes of powering the RNS-E up, TMC messages start to appear.

I suppose the answer to your question about whether the TMC code is disabled would depend on if TMC exists at all in the US, and how it might be transmitted. If subscriptions are already available via RDS, chances are it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do TMC messages play audibally over the music or are they displayed as pop-up messages? Is traffic shown on the map when in nav screens? As far as I know TMC is in fact broadcast here in the states and available without subscription, but I do know it doesn't work on the RNS-E with US firmware. It would be nice to get more feedback/research from someone with TMC working to see if this is in fact picking up the TMC messages and is just disabled somewhere in the firmware as it would make an awesome firmware hack for us in the states to have TMC working. :) If anyone else is interested in researching this more with me please get in touch with me. I don't have much experience with assembler, but once we've got a good disassembly of 0150 going I should be able to do something with it. There's a few other things I'd love to get going as well...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
los93sol said:
Do TMC messages play audibally over the music or are they displayed as pop-up messages?
If you don't have an active route, neither. They just appear in a list under the INFO key.

If you have an active route then any TMC message that informs of a problem on your route will cause the route to be re-assessed. If an alternative route is quicker then your route will be changed and a message will inform you that your route has been changed and tell you why. If an alternative is no quicker then a message will tell you that there are delays on your route.
los93sol said:
Is traffic shown on the map when in nav screens?
No, but when in INFO you can choose to have the problem shown on a map.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts